Bike licence quiery

Guest newbie dave

Hi all

I am from a family of bikers but have always been into cars. Personal circumstances are such that a motor bike is now more practical than my beloved car (storage, fuel cost, commute, etc) so I am going down the route of getting my bike licence!

I have done some scouring of the internet but im getting some conflicting information. Im hoping that someone on here can clarify it for me.

Hypothetically, how long would it take for me to go from non licence holder to cat and what are the steps I need to take? (I am 27 years old so fit the age restriction of 24 for cat A bikes)

I passed my car licence in October 2005 (full UK) and know that I need to complete my CBT before I can get on the road. I have been riding trials bikes for a few years so clutch control, maneuvering, etc isn't an issue.

Cheers

Dave

If you want to do a full licence you need to do a Direct access (DAS) you can call any training centre and they will put you through your CBT and give you lessons until you're ready to take your test.

If you only want a CBT then only ask for that it's a one day training course which will allow you to ride a 125cc

You could do DAS, direct access, and get your A licence in as little as a few weeks if you want to take the chance of booking everything and hope you pass it all first time.

You need to do a CBT and the theory test then Mod 1 and finally Mod 2

CBT is easy and 1 day. theory is up to how much work you put in. Mod 1 and 2 is about riding the bike. Get a decent school and start learning the theory you will be riding in no time if that is what you want.

So if i do my CBT (in the day session) I will be able to ride a 125? That would be sufficient for my needs. What would i then need to do to pass the 125cc licence in full (to remove the L plates) and how much will that cost on average?

Thanks again

Dave

Budget ~£100 for a CBT.

£500-600 for the full shebang.

As people have said, depending on availability and whether you pass first time or not, you could have full licence within a few weeks.

Thanks. I am assuming the test stated on the site (direct access MOD1/2) will promote me straight to category A as i am over 24?

Dave

I took my test in about 2007. I was 50 years old at the time. I already had my CBT and was riding a 125 scooter so I took and passed my motorcycle theory test. When I passed that, I did a 3 day course and took and passed my test on a 125 manual bike. That allowed me to ride bikes on a full licence up to a certain power. At the time, I had no intention of getting a big bike - I just wanted to ditch the 'L' plates, get cheaper insurance, not to have to keep taking the CBT every few years and carry pillions on my 125 if I wanted. Within 18 months I bought my SH300i which I still have. After two years it automatically allowed me to ride any size bike. I bought a Burgman 650 in 2011 and in January 2014 I chopped that in for a FJR. I don't think I remember this mod 1/2 being around at the time. Do they still do the 125 upgradeable test that I took or has it all changed?

I took my test in about 2007. I was 50 years old at the time. I already had my CBT and was riding a 125 scooter so I took and passed my motorcycle theory test. When I passed that, I did a 3 day course and took and passed my test on a 125 manual bike. That allowed me to ride bikes on a full licence up to a certain power. At the time, I had no intention of getting a big bike - I just wanted to ditch the 'L' plates, get cheaper insurance, not to have to keep taking the CBT every few years and carry pillions on my 125 if I wanted. Within 18 months I bought my SH300i which I still have. After two years it automatically allowed me to ride any size bike. I bought a Burgman 650 in 2011 and in January 2014 I chopped that in for a FJR. I don't think I remember this mod 1/2 being around at the time. Do they still do the 125 upgradeable test that I took or has it all changed?

I don't think they do the 2 years on a bike under 33bhp and then can ride any bike now. I took the same route but via passing the MOD1 and MOD2 in 2009 on a 125 with just CBT training, no extra, and then had a "restricted" hornet for 2 years. Though from personal experience (writing off my FZ6 abroad) I would recommend getting training as I feel I would be a better rider if I had gone down extra training. This is something I will be doing before my next bike.