Gsxr 600 srad 1998 electric fault

mmalik

http://s1185.photobucket.com/user/skyli ... 1.mp4.html

Hi all, Hoping you can help get my bike back on the road. Some background first. Had an alarm on bike that I removed and soldered wires back together, that was 2 months ago. Bike running lovely since then apart from yesterday. On my way home, stopped at the junction, bike totally cut out, no electrics, thought it might be a loose connection, checked and nothing. Read some stuff online and most suggestions say rectifier. Took tail off and checked rectifier but all cables look fine, no burnt ones. Removed rectifier and still same problem. Have made a video, please have a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance

Mal

Video wont load for me, so you have no ignition at all on the key? Have you tested voltages? Starting with batt

Fully charged the battey, checked the main fuse too. There seems to be a lot of clicking sounds coming from the

relay next to the rectifie.

Clicking can be a sign of dud battery, might be fully chraged but not enough cells taking chrage. Need to start with basics. If it run out while running you should also check your stator

Hi all

Have attached some screen shots if iI can upload if not, here is what I found.

Fully charged battery: 12.24v

Connected to bike but ignition off : 12.22v

Connected to bike ignition on: multi metre starts jumping around like crazy.

Panel lights not on our flickering on and off. Relay G8MS-S23 clicking away.

it could be that the battery is screwed and not holding the voltage when under load

if you have access to a car you could try starting it with jump leads off the car WITHOUT the car running

if it starts your battery is screwed if its the same then its a power problem to the relay

Tried jump starting with a car but that did not work.

I have put a wanted ad up for that relay as I think that could be issue. Is there another relay in the bike that I could

Use to test it with.

If anyone had one lying about I would love to borrow it or even buy it.

sounds like a wiring problem or the relay then

personally I would be having a poke about with the wiring and the relay before buying one

have a look on ebay for a new starter relay they are usually cheap enough

Can you turn the engine over by hand?......if it's seized, the starter will draw a high current and drop the voltage like that.......alternatively, make sure the starter motor is Ok........remove it and put power on it with jump leads from a battery to make sure it spins ok...... :wink:

Hi all,

Had a look but this is beyond my experience. Anyone fancy a nice ride to Northants to sort this it for me.

Willing to pay the nice kind person a fee of course. ☺

Yes but your too far away :lol:

:) makes an even better bike ride. Lots of lovely scenery on the way. The sun smiling down on you, the roar of the engine and all the lovely ladies smiling and looking at you, the children waving and men looking on enviously hahahaha

Hi, when you say relay do you mean the starter solenoid? First and foremost you say that your battery is charge. So when you press the starter button do you hear a clicking noise from the solenoid also is there any attempt made to turn the engine? Whilst doing this do the warning light on the clocks go dim? If so, suspect a duff battery of a poor electrical connections between the battery - starter solenoid and starter motor, also check the earth connections between the battery and frame. If the warning light stays bright and there's no clicking of the starter solenoid then you need to go through the electric's on the starter circuit.

On the starter solenoid you will see 2 large terminals one cable coming from the battery the other from the starter motor also two small cables one is earth the other from the starter circuit, put your test lamp - meter across the small terminal and press the starter button you should get a voltage reading if not you need to trace it back, note this circuit go's back through the side stand safety switch and also the clutch lever on some bikes. If you got a voltage on the small terminals on the solenoid then this would suggest that the solenoid is duff. A simple test to test the starter motor is to get a set of jump leads, connect up the earth connections connect the live to the battery and the other end touch the connection on the solenoid where the starter motor is connected the motor should turn over be careful whilst doing this and only do if you confident enough to try it. Hope this all helps?

Yes but your too far away :lol:[/]

:) makes an even better bike ride. Lots of lovely scenery on the way.

:scratch: :scratch: you dont live in Yorkshire :lol: :lol:

Ok, so the lovely men look and smile at you, the kids throw stones and the women scratch

Their a***s while it pees it down with rain while you peddle down the road on your push bike :D

Hi, when you say relay do you mean the starter solenoid? First and foremost you say that your battery is charge. So when you press the starter button do you hear a clicking noise from the solenoid also is there any attempt made to turn the engine? Whilst doing this do the warning light on the clocks go dim? If so, suspect a duff battery of a poor electrical connections between the battery - starter solenoid and starter motor, also check the earth connections between the battery and frame. If the warning light stays bright and there's no clicking of the starter solenoid then you need to go through the electric's on the starter circuit.

On the starter solenoid you will see 2 large terminals one cable coming from the battery the other from the starter motor also two small cables one is earth the other from the starter circuit, put your test lamp - meter across the small terminal and press the starter button you should get a voltage reading if not you need to trace it back, note this circuit go's back through the side stand safety switch and also the clutch lever on some bikes. If you got a voltage on the small terminals on the solenoid then this would suggest that the solenoid is duff. A simple test to test the starter motor is to get a set of jump leads, connect up the earth connections connect the live to the battery and the other end touch the connection on the solenoid where the starter motor is connected the motor should turn over be careful whilst doing this and only do if you confident enough to try it. Hope this all helps?

Hi and thanks for the reply.

When I hit the starter button the instrument lights either go dim or off. Engine does not even bother itself to turn over.

Think the clicking noise is from the petrol pump relay. I have ordered another battery but will not be here until next week unfortunately. Don't know anyone local that has a bike.

Hi sound very much like the battery then Mate, the clicking noise l would almost certainly say is the starter solenoid the fuel pump relay is so small that l doubt if you could here it unless very close up. Have you tried jump starting the bike from a car battery, just to be sure you have no other hidden faults?

Hi sound very much like the battery then Mate, the clicking noise l would certainly say is the starter olenoid the fuel pump relay is so small that l doubt f you could here it unless very close up. Have you tried jump starting the bike from a car battery, just to be sure you have no other hidden faults?

Clicking is definitely from relay, I can feel it too when I hold it.

Tried jumping using car battery but again, nothing. Was working great, waiting at junction and bike dies and not worked since. I checked the connections that I made when i removed the alarm and they all look fine.

On that note then Mate l would not fit the new battery until you found the fault, your only going to knacker the new battery. By using a car battery you have plenty of spare power to fault find and get it going. You need to check the wiring and connection on the bike, first port of call for me would be the earth straps and connections