breathe in

A40man

got a wedding coming up, suit is a bit tight though - three weeks to lose some weight

a friend slowly, over time, got really quite fat, then i saw him recently and he was slim,

he said all he did was cut out cheese, bread and chocolate, i'm going to give that a go,

there was a fourth thing he said, can't remember whether it was potatoes or booze :)

Do some exercise and be more balanced with your sugar/fat intake. "Crash" diets rarely work, can be bad for you, and need to be sustained over a long period of time.

If you have a proper exercise regime - only needs to be a few hours a week, spread out - then there really is no need for drastic dieting.

I dropped a few stone over the past few years with no exercise. All I did was work on the 60/ 30/ 10

So every meal 60% is protein like chicken, lean meats etc, 30% fats and 10% carbs (peas are great for low carbs)

You can leave sugar out of your diet completely as you don't really need it.

If you get hungry then things like nuts (plain ones) or chunks of cheese work well.

Could do half a stone in 6 weeks on that and then once you have reached your fighting weight then you can play around with your percentages :)

I eat good for 6 days of the week and then if I want have a treat meal and a few beers on a Saturday night lol

If you want a short sharp drop to get you by for the wedding then try exante diet 3 weeks at 600 calories then off a week then back on a week. If you are 16+ stone you should drop a stone and a half in that time. I use it just before beach holidays to loose the moobs haha

Depends on your current diet, but lets say you have a lot of the stuff you've mentioned above then yeah you'll see a difference, also cutting out alcohol will help loads.

Like someone else said exercise will also help, even if its just half an hour fast paced walk every other day or after your evening meal.

Not knowing what your current diet and exercise regime is its difficult to say what will and wont work for you, feel free to drop me a pm if you want a bit of advice i'm a personal trainer.

Simple fact is, if you burn off more than you put in you will lose weight.

If you burn off less than you put in you will gain weight.

The problem is with all of these rediculous charts that say I need 1800kcal to maintain my weight! Actually, this chart and infact I myself, have no idea what calories I need because my BMR is different from all the other 55 yo guys because we are all different in terms of what we do and how fast/slow our metabolic rate is.

I do know for sure that even with the level of activity I do, anything more 1200kcal and I gain weight!

Simple answer to OP predicament; if you are happy with you size buy a new suit. If not, eat less. lol

Simple answer to OP predicament; if you are happy with you size buy a new suit. If not, eat less. lol

I do agree to the most part however, sometimes its not all about the amount of calories but the type of food,

In the extremes if you eat 1000 calories of sugar, do you expect the same outcome if you eat 1000 calories of veg??

Different foods release their energy at different rates which is where you get the GI rating(Glycaemic Index)

which in turn will affect the body in different ways.

To keep it simple:

Eat lots of natural unprocessed foods, try and avoid processed foods.

I do agree to the most part however, sometimes its not all about the amount of calories but the type of food,

In the extremes if you eat 1000 calories of sugar, do you expect the same outcome if you eat 1000 calories of veg??

Different foods release their energy at different rates which is where you get the GI rating(Glycaemic Index)

which in turn will affect the body in different ways.

To keep it simple:

Eat lots of natural unprocessed foods, try and avoid processed foods.

Of course but all things being equal and a degree of reasonableness.