Help needed connecting TomTom

Phooey

So my new TomTom Ride V5 has arrived and I am wanting to hard wire it into my bike. Ideally, when I turn the engine off I want to cut off the feed to the device also (Just incase I forget it and it drains my battery).

Now, I know nothing about electrics so can anyone suggest an idiot proof way to do this. I have the cable that came with the device so all I need is where to connect it to. I am assuming not just + and - terminals of battery, or is it really that simple?

Just wire it to the battery

Its an expensive unit

You won't leave it for fear of been nicked

It will take a very long time to drain your battery

Mine was on for 8 years direct to the battery and used to leave it on for a few hours if I was close to it and the bike always started

If you really want a switched live then tap in to the headlights or sidelights no need for a relay as it won't draw enough to affect anything

While I am here Stu, I am thinking of using my phone and bluetooth connectivity until I get a dedicated headset. As tecnology is not my strong point, do you know if this will work?

Thinking turn bluetooth on on both devices and voila! But probably not that simple.

Yeah it's not that simple bit not far off

And no point pairing them till you get the headset

And always connect the headset first as tomtoms spit their dummy out if you connect the phone first

Rather than connect direct to the battery, I would (and have) used a relay switched by the feed to the rear light.

There are threads on here which even show how to wire it all up (I can't search very well as my laptop is well locked down).

As Stu advises for connection via your 'phone - Should work a treat.

:cheers:

Rather than connect direct to the battery, I would (and have) used a relay switched by the feed to the rear light.

There are threads on here which even show how to wire it all up (I can't search very well as my laptop is well locked down).

+1

it may be overkill but I wanted to do it properly. It depends how OCD you are about things I suppose.

+1

it may be overkill but I wanted to do it properly. It depends how OCD you are about things I suppose.

so wiring straight to the battery is not properly.......

+1

so wiring straight to the battery is not properly.......

Perhaps used the wrong word? It's just the way I preferred to do it, that's all.

I'm not saying it's the best. It's obviously more time consuming.

thats the thing

to the battery or relay is personal preference

if it was a set of heated grips then relay all the way as they are easy to leave on but a power expensive unit is a different matter

you wont leave it on unattended unless you are close to it

the current draw is nothing and it would take ages to kill the battery

plus if you have power saving on its a pain in the arse when it shuts down on ignition off :lol:

if you think you will leave it on for a long long time then stick it on a relay otherwise just straight to the battery and no messing ................ well you dont even have to go to a relay just a switched live will do just tap in to it and splice the live feed in

as I say they draw nothing so wont cause any trouble been spliced in :)

From my point of view - I'm more concerned about shorts / damaged cables. If it is wired straight to the battery and the cable gets damaged - shorts out (for whatever reason), then the cable will quickly overheat and 'could' cause significant damage to the bike/other wiring/etc. Through a fused circuit - the fuse will blow keeping everything safe. Likewise, a relay powered by the ignition cct (back light feed) ensures the cable is not carrying any power when the bike is 'off'.

As stated - personal choice but, so is AGATT. (Please don't start another discussion - search the threads for more than enough comments on this topic).

The advantage of an ignition switched relay circuit is that you can add more 'stuff' like a cigar lighter socket (now called a 12v supply socket) which you can use for air pumps, other usb chargers, etc.

From my point of view - I'm more concerned about shorts / damaged cables. If it is wired straight to the battery and the cable gets damaged - shorts out (for whatever reason), then the cable will quickly overheat and 'could' cause significant damage to the bike/other wiring/etc.

On my garmin, which is connected direct to the bikes battery, the cable has a fuse built in. with a weather proof cap so it can be changed if it were ever to 'pop'. is this fuse not enough?

you can see it in this photo... just a couple of inches from the red 'positive' teminal.

http://i.imgur.com/2kThCYu.jpg

From my point of view - I'm more concerned about shorts / damaged cables. If it is wired straight to the battery and the cable gets damaged - shorts out (for whatever reason), then the cable will quickly overheat and 'could' cause significant damage to the bike/other wiring/etc.

On my garmin, which is connected direct to the bikes battery, the cable has a fuse built in. with a weather proof cap so it can be changed if it were ever to 'pop'. is this fuse not enough?

you can see it in this photo... just a couple of inches from the red 'positive' teminal.

http://i.imgur.com/2kThCYu.jpg

Nothing wrong with that at all, always be sure to fit a fuse with the correct amp rating as close to the battery as possible and l may add on the positive + connection.