Winter Advice - Storage etc

zoomzoom

Hi everyone,

I've only been riding since June this year so looking for some winter advice!

I currently keep my bike on some paving slabs in the back garden under a cover. During winter when the temperatures drop I fear this won't be enough to protect her from weathering and rust.

I'm still hoping to go out if we get a nice day, maybe once a month then... but I have the option of keeping my bike in my dads garage 20 miles away, will this make a big difference protecting her?

Also, I hear people drain the fuel, oil and remove the battery during winter. Is this needed if I'm still going to try and get out once a month?

I've already given her a coat of ACF-50 by the way, so hoping that will help somewhat.

Looking forward to your advice!

Cheers

Look around the forum for information about ACF 50... and take heed. aside from that.. just cover the bike and ride it as and when you can.. any bike thats in reasonable condition will be fine covered and unused for months at a time.. the only caveat is if you have an alarm.. in which case its probably wise to plug it into a charger every now and then if the bike is doing nothing but standing because the weather has taken a turn for the worse.

As above really

Don't listen to anyone telling you to start it up periodically or any of that nonsense, put it on a smart charger if you can, if not, give it a normal charge every couple of weeks.

Make sure you give the chain a good wipe around with an oily rag if you keep the side plates clean normally, it doesn't take much to rust them.

Cheers for the advice!

I've got a trickle charger so will hook it up to that once a month for a few days if I don't manage to get out on it once month.

My cover sometimes get condensation underneath it which worries me, so may still put it in the garage if I noticed any rusting.

If you have space you can get a proper shelter from machinemart for £150 sturdy and elements proof. I have room to work in mine which is nice :) But if you have space in the garage do that

If you have space you can get a proper shelter from machinemart for £150 sturdy and elements proof. I have room to work in mine which is nice :) But if you have space in the garage do that

This one? https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/prod ... stant-shed

Looks interesting! I'd have to put it at the bottom of the garden though and don't think the misses would be happy looking at it from the kitchen every day :cry:

Pretty sure thats the one :D It's reasonably big and a bit of a pain in the arse to install (we had stones under where we screwed it down) but it's really good and sturdy as well as being collapsable should you need to move it. I just got a few slabs from the builders merchant and some sand and i was sorted.

Pretty sure thats the one :D It's reasonably big and a bit of a pain in the arse to install (we had stones under where we screwed it down) but it's really good and sturdy as well as being collapsable should you need to move it. I just got a few slabs from the builders merchant and some sand and i was sorted.

Time convince the other half...

Maybe a new dress for her would seal the deal haha

Whilst I'm at it, another novice question...

My battery has a wire running from it with an adapter for easy charging.

Looking at buying a trickle charger though and they all have the standard red and black clippers. What type of trickle charger do I need that will plug into my adapter?

Cheers!

a picture of the plug would help

although chances are it will be an optimate charging lead

http://www.optimate.co.uk/

dont buy just a trickle charger you want a maintenance charger they are different!

I wouldn't worry too much about the plug as they can be changed plus an optimate comes with a new lead anyway :thumb:

Optimate have two types of connector (SAE77 or TM)

The one like the RC car battery and another one.

Either way, if you search eBay for "optimate lead" you can buy a lead to keep connected to your battery for about 7quid.

I have two fitted to my bike. One for charging that dangles outside the bike, and another under the tail for accessories to plug into.

Optimate have two types of connector (SAE77 or TM)

The one like the RC car battery and another one.

Either way, if you search eBay for "optimate lead" you can buy a lead to keep connected to your battery for about 7quid.

I have two fitted to my bike. One for charging that dangles outside the bike, and another under the tail for accessories to plug into.

As already said, get an Optimate charger and just leave it connected until you need to ride it. One of my bikes is permanently connected to one of these chargers, the battery is the original now 13yrs old and still spins up the bike no problem. These chargers do work :3some:

• 3 weeks later...
as already been mentioned

park it......dont run it unnecessarily............charge it!

If you do run it, give it a good run, enough to thoroughly warm it up.

some people bleat on about draining the carbs/tank but its a waste of time

Draining the carbs used to be important with 2-strokes with premix oil.

The petrol would evaporate form the carbs leaving behind the oil which would gum up the smaller jets.

Its generally not a problem with 2-strokes with oil injection and 4-strokes.

For batteries, they don't like to be left discharged, so either

1. Fully charge the battery and leave it disconnected.

2. Regularly recharge it.

Oil

Its best to leave oil in, it contains anti oxidants and other additives that will help protect the engine.