Rogue trader? Or I expect too much?

Phooey

September 1st I dropped my fairings and tank off at a small business in my local area and £150 deposit to start hydrodipping.

The guys said will take seven days, is that OK?

Fine I said. :( A week without my bike but it will look better afterwards. And to be fair, he will be cleaning the panels, sanding the panels, base coat spray black on all panels, dipping all panels and then lacquering. Seven days isn't too bad.

A week later I message him, how's it going? Finished yet?

Still waiting on the film. His supplier assures him it will arrive tomorrow.

Dissapointed but, these things do happen I suppose.

Another week goes by and I message again. How's it going? Finished yet?

Couple more days. I have to dip the tank again. Made mistake and want to get it right for you.

As the weeks went by the excuses continued. Had to order more film. Film arrive folded. Supplier resent wrong size.

Eventually after five weeks I told him ... Next Tuesday I am collecting my fairing. Finished or not, I am getting them. Thought this might get his arese in gear.

Tuesday came which was six week to the day that I dropped them off. Wow! He hadn't cleaned them. Poorly sprayed black base over most of the panels. Outline of where decals used to be were visible. (I stripped the decals before dropping them off) A bit patchy in places but no dipping. Nothing! not a single piece had been dipped and he says, not my fault you chose a film my normal supplier don't stock!

WTF! It's my fault? Is that what he is saying?

Now time to think about sorting this out. :(

well at least he didnt charge you i hope are there no other places round there that do it at all as he sounds like a total let down which is disappointing,if he had made a good job of it im sure you would of happily named the company and given them a good review but lets hope others dont have the same problem after all 6 weeks should be enough time for any supplier to gt in whats required

He's not given us the £150 deposit back yet ... but we gave him 14 days to return it or police will be called. He got a bit spooked by the thought of police. I suspect something dodgy with his business.

There is one other place near me but they are twice the price. £650 estimated quote - final figure can't be given until job is done! That worries me.

first thing that sets alarm bells ringing for me is leaving £150 deposit!

any decent place will take the stuff do the work and get paid at the end!

I had a £1000 spray job on a bike once and never had to leave a deposit!

It really does suck big time when you get treated like that and you feel like you are at there mercy.

Although looking at his facebook page theres some nice work on there so understand why you went with him.

I always look for recomendations through other biking sites and if I cant find anything on them,they wont get me cash(learnt the hard way,years ago)

I hope you get sorted.

If it's a spiv and you make him feel the heat, he might give it his best shot, which won't be up to scratch. I would have thought you should be getting your parts back and the deposit by now. Maybe verbally offer him a clean break allowing him to keep £n for the time and trouble of calling up a supplier just as long as you can have the rest soon, but make it clear that if he refuses you need it all back and you don't want him to do the work.

He's not given us the £150 deposit back yet ... but we gave him 14 days to return it or police will be called. He got a bit spooked by the thought of police. I suspect something dodgy with his business.

There is one other place near me but they are twice the price. £650 estimated quote - final figure can't be given until job is done! That worries me.

Unfortunately, the police won't be interested in your owed money, it's a civil matter.

Next stage is to make it official and send him a letter before action, here's a sample

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consu ... rt-action/

Unfortunately, the police won't be interested in your owed money, it's a civil matter.

Next stage is to make it official and send him a letter before action, here's a sample

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consu ... rt-action/

I know that the police wont give a monkeys but it freaked him so the thought of police being called may force him to cough up. small claims court will cost us more hassle than it's worth ... I have a feeling that the TAX man will cause him a bit of trouble though.

There's always a way to exact revenge ... mwahhhahahaha! :lol:

• 3 months later...
Hi just wondering if you got this sorted? He did all my husbands bike parts and messed up most of my husbands bike parts! Then said well he's not professional!

Are you the guys from Weston-S-Mare?

Yeah! I got my money back ... sent a couple of mate round and he coughed up a week later complaining that I set my ganger mates on him.

if he is charging money for it then he should be able to do the job if it was a favour and free you couldnt complain but from what ive seen on here about what he does then he deserves everything he gets

:stupid:

Couldn't agree more. If he is taking money he is claiming that he is profession. He made no attempt to say that he is an amateur.

I think you should go to Trading Standards and get him shut down before he can rip anyone else off.

I don't thinkthat he is legit, Deso. Nothing to shut down. Bet the TAX man would have a vested interest in him though.

Trading standards have been informed, they were a excellent help fortunately some was paid via PayPal on my husbands credit card which means we should be covered. I have also reported him to HMRC.

All the bike parts went to someone else today to be done properly and I bet stevie wonder could have done a better job!!!