Moving to new area... bike noise & neighbours

Guest marcel

I have a neighbour who was already parking his bike outside his house, which meant riding a long a pavement to get to it. He would also work on his bike outside. So when I started to do the same thing there was no issue. All the neighbours know our bikes mean two more car parking spaces in the communal car park.

In the morning coast down the pavement and start the bike as I am leaving the car park.

Pretty much. We all borrow each others tools and stuff to.

Couldn't be doing with that - they might put my tools back in the wrong place. :shock:

The vmax guy has a place for everything.

All cleaned and tidy before its put back.

I have a neighbour who was already parking his bike outside his house, which meant riding a long a pavement to get to it. He would also work on his bike outside. So when I started to do the same thing there was no issue. All the neighbours know our bikes mean two more car parking spaces in the communal car park.

In the morning coast down the pavement and start the bike as I am leaving the car park.

Did your houses have front gardens?

I mean do you ever worry that you're working on the bike out front in the STREET where the whole neighbourhood is watching lol ??

We cant trust anyone these days. I'm very paranoid!

Warming a bike up?

For gods sake where did you learn to do that. Start it and then ride away. I start my BMW fully kitted up and sitting it ready to go. I start it and then ride off. Once I am rolling I knock the choke back to half way to stop it revving the nuts of it and then by the time I am about 1/2 a mile away the choke is off. This is on a big old lump of an engine that takes a while to get warm. I then keep it running at any traffic lights on the throttle til its warm enough to tick over its self. I just take it easy for a couple of miles before thrashing the nuts off it.

I hate hearing and seeing people who think its a good idea to let a cold engine idle on the choke at stupid revs. Engines need to be running at normal speeds to get the oil flowing round them.

Warming a bike up?

For gods sake where did you learn to do that. Start it and then ride away. I start my BMW fully kitted up and sitting it ready to go. I start it and then ride off. Once I am rolling I knock the choke back to half way to stop it revving the nuts of it and then by the time I am about 1/2 a mile away the choke is off. This is on a big old lump of an engine that takes a while to get warm. I then keep it running at any traffic lights on the throttle til its warm enough to tick over its self. I just take it easy for a couple of miles before thrashing the nuts off it.

I hate hearing and seeing people who think its a good idea to let a cold engine idle on the choke at stupid revs. Engines need to be running at normal speeds to get the oil flowing round them.

BECAUSE THE MANUAL EXPLICITY SAYS USE THE ENRICHER TILL IT IDLES NICELY ON ITS OWN. Lol

Infact, as soon i as i start the bike; it runs VERY rough like its lost half the power ... i asked my dealers and the manufacturer they said dont just start it and go off. Start the bike, switch on the enricher, it rises the revs by by itself and then it idles beautifully at 2,000.

Try taking off at 600 rpm with a rough idle and reply to this post again lol. Yeah you will cut out.

This is a 2014 plate spanish bike with a yamaha engine but uses large keihin carbs and some strange ecu.

The bike doesnt need enriching in summer. It never did. It starts & ticks over nicely in less than 2 mins

Henceforth, i said sometimes I need to idle the bike for a bit without annoying the neighbours lol.

We dont all have whisper quiet 1200cc BMW's [emoji6] [emoji6]

This is a 2014 plate spanish bike with a yamaha engine but uses large keihin carbs and some strange ecu.

Do you have a Rieju or a Derbi? I haven't seen what bike you have yet.

Just wondering why it would need 5 minutes unless it was 2-stroke.

Do you have a Rieju or a Derbi? I haven't seen what bike you have yet.

Just wondering why it would need 5 minutes unless it was 2-stroke.

Precisely a rieju rs3 180 , however i have a kawasaki ZZR too which is a LOT louder lol but doesnt need that much time to warm up surprisingly.

It's hard to say whether neighbours will be annoyed or not - depends entirely on the neighbours and you won't know that till you've moved in! What might not bother some, may be extremely annoying to others. Obviously if it's a quiet neighbourhood the odds are increased :|

From a personal point of view I don't think I'd like to be woken by a bike running for 10 mins every morning, but that's just me.

BECAUSE THE MANUAL EXPLICITY SAYS USE THE ENRICHER TILL IT IDLES NICELY ON ITS OWN. Lol

Infact, as soon i as i start the bike; it runs VERY rough like its lost half the power ... i asked my dealers and the manufacturer they said dont just start it and go off. Start the bike, switch on the enricher, it rises the revs by by itself and then it idles beautifully at 2,000.

Try taking off at 600 rpm with a rough idle and reply to this post again lol. Yeah you will cut out.

Oh so its just like my old 800cc airhead BMW then. That needs plenty of revs to pull away when its cold and has just started. Its also very lumpy at low revs when I knock the choke off for the first couple of miles. I have basically 2 400cc singles to get warm which have Bing carbs not fuel injection. So I know all about riding bikes which have no power at low revs while cold. My Ural doesn't have a choke so I start this by flooding the carbs and then I ride this away fairly quickly. The throttle until its warm. So yes I will reply to this post as I stand by what I said.

Also what is wrong with riding off with the enricher on? You can ride bikes with this in use can't you. There is no excuse to wreck an engine by sitting with it on choke revving the nuts off it while not under load.

It would warm up sooner if you rode it and kept it in a low gear with the revs up, rather than leaving it standing for 10mins.

If it can idle at 2k rpm, you may as well ride it at 2k rpm plus.

Oh so its just like my old 800cc airhead BMW then. That needs plenty of revs to pull away when its cold and has just started. Its also very lumpy at low revs when I knock the choke off for the first couple of miles. I have basically 2 400cc singles to get warm which have Bing carbs not fuel injection. So I know all about riding bikes which have no power at low revs while cold. My Ural doesn't have a choke so I start this by flooding the carbs and then I ride this away fairly quickly. The throttle until its warm. So yes I will reply to this post as I stand by what I said.

Also what is wrong with riding off with the enricher on? You can ride bikes with this in use can't you. There is no excuse to wreck an engine by sitting with it on choke revving the nuts off it while not under load.

Are you sure you're not using old fuel, I've heard that doesn't work very well.

I've not read through all the replies but I have a 2006 650 bandit and it most definitely needs a warm up before it'll run smoothly. I've had it 6 years now and it's always been the same regardless of the time of year.

I will say however that when I put the choke on it'll go up to 3k revs max. It doesn't have to sit there long, only a few seconds til I can get the choke down to halfway and the bike is idling at 2k whilst warming up which isn't bad noise wise. I usually find the time it takes to get helmet and gloves on is long enough for it to be warm enough to knock off the choke and ride normally.

As some others have suggested ride with the choke on if it's silly early. I've done this before and although it's a bit funny riding didn't seem to do any harm.