Motorbike Helmets bending

Hi all,

I have been on a motorbike about a month now and i had my helmet on today and for a random reason decided to push in on the sides of the helmet and they bent inwards slightly (not damaging, move just pressed more into my head. I just want to know if this is normal or should there be absolutely no give in the helmet when pushing on it

there's flex in a helmet. it's basically a thin shell and a material which will absorb force if you were to come off. something like polystyrene foam. if it was rock solid, your head would rattle around inside and it would do nothing to protect your brain!!

this is why they're a bit of a one shot deal. if you drop it, you could compress the material inside and reduce its effectiveness.

Okay thank you for the reply. I knew how they worked i was just starting to worry in case my helmet was defective or something and when it comes to my head i like to make sure its protected

there's flex in a helmet. it's basically a thin shell and a material which will absorb force if you were to come off. something like polystyrene foam. if it was rock solid, your head would rattle around inside and it would do nothing to protect your brain!!

this is why they're a bit of a one shot deal. if you drop it, you could compress the material inside and reduce its effectiveness.

One reason amongst many why you should never buy a second hand helmet