Waterproof *and* protective clothes

Hi guys,

My Gmac two piece jacket and trousers are no longer waterproof (they were never very good in the first place). I have tried washing them with Nixwax twice, carefully following the destructions, which made bugger all difference. So, I'm after something to replace them.

Does anyone have any recommendations for fabric two piece clothing or a suit that is 1. genuinely waterproof, 2. has abrasion protection, 3. has armour pockets and 4. won't break the bank? I need something to go over office trousers and shirt for commuting throughout Autumn/winter. My budget is flexible for a really good bit of kit but I would like to spend under £200 if possible.

Cheers,

David.

I've been searching something recently to replace my jacket. Halvarsson and Furygan are doing some really good stuff at a good price, or Scott Leather.

specifically, this seems good, with body armor included.

http://www.scottleathers.co.uk/prodpage ... oductid=15

Under 200 is difficult though :)

you want to search gear CE certified, which has burst, slide and perforation certified until a certain level. Level 1 is OK, level 2 is good, in my opinion. Level 2 is a bit hard to find, I saw that ALDI has something certified level 2 at an amazing price, hard to believe get a jacket like that for 80 pound, but I want to pop in and see them.

I would definitely recommend the Halvarsson/Lindstrands/Jofama brand although it is a bit over your £200 budget. I bought these trousers and this jacket earlier in the year and would definitely recommend them.

Tested them in torrential rain and came back bone dry and warm. Even though they both have vents for when it is hot and dry.

If you are a pretty normal size then lots of deals can be had on ebay. Hein Gericke stuff is there in abundance. My old jacket was a hein gericke sheltex one and it kept the rain out very well, never tested their trousers though.

Edit. Just to add, I bought mine from that site (Motolegends) and was very impressed by their service. They were happy for me to send bits back for free to try other sizes if required (thankfully I didn't have too thanks to their advice on fit)

I did look into their finance offers but turned out I didn't need it as I am very pleased with the "bottom of the range" stuff from Halvarssons. :D (I really don't need the top line stuff just yet!)

Sizing is the most accurate I have come across (I have tried on various offerings from BMW, RST, Richa, Hein Gericke, Frank Thomas, and probably more...) if you follow the inches on this page - http://www.jofama.se/mcsm/sizeguide.php?lang=2 then you will be fine I am sure. I ordered from Moto Legends because they were the cheapest, and done free returns.

Halvarsson do a whole range of short leg, long leg, extra long leg, short leg and bigger hips etc. All their kit appears to be adjustable in many ways, along with adjustable armour. the armour is some of the most comfortable I have had. Only the BMW kit I had for a brief time was "better" I think. ( The armour was more comfortable, the fit of the actual trousers/jacket was terrible for me.)

I bought some cheap Richa waterproof overs which I wear over my textile jacket and Kevlar jeans.

I just can't justify £600 for a waterproof textile jacket and pair of trousers, which seems to be the going rate for all in one clothing that is actually waterproof.

Yes, it's a lot of money isn't it? I'm debating getting the Halvarssons kit. Looks like £350 minimum. The problem I've got is I need to be able to turn up to work, whip the M/C kit off and have shirt and trousers underneath.

Yes, it's a lot of money isn't it? I'm debating getting the Halvarssons kit. Looks like £350 minimum. The problem I've got is I need to be able to turn up to work, whip the M/C kit off and have shirt and trousers underneath.

I just leave clothes in the office and get changed when I get there, is that not an option?

Just seen this Alpine stars kit: http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... rod/199087

The also do matching trousers. Seems like a good price. Anyone have any experience of this range of clothing?

Seems good. I never tried them, but they have 20 reviews on the link you posted, and they are all 5 stars. I would trust them!

as far as i can figure out there are 4 types of waterproofs.

1. gear that says its waterproof but you get drenched in it.

2. gear that has a waterproof liner

3. gear that has a waterproof outer

4. waterproof over gear.

1. this covers alot of really cheap gear and is basically rubbish say jackets under £50

2. this is broad but can go from £80 spada jackets to £300+ alpinestars. The problem is with liner jackets is some repel water from the surface due to coating that wears off after a while and some never have the coating to start with.

liner jackets are fine if you are going to one location without stopping and are not doing long tours.

the problem with liner jackets is if the coating gives or isnt the there the jacket will gain a lot of weight.

you will stay dry but you will be cold and it will be heavy and take forever to dry. this is bad news if you stop and take it off then have to put it back on.

3. these are the dogs nuts. these include some held jackets rukka and bmw streetguard. these badboys have goretex coated to the outer (pro layer) which means they gain next to no weight keep you warm and light and will dry very very quick. the only downside is these jackets are £450+ but they are worth it if you can afford them.

4. over gear is the simple cheap solution buy ones that work and expect to pay maybe £20-£40 for a jacket or trousers.

they can be stashed in small spaces and will make any gear fully waterproof provided you buy one that works. on the downside they are not normally goretex so they don't breathe but they do block cold air rather well.

for winter riding i go with flexothane bib and braces work wear £30 trousers seriously waterproof and comes in dark blue.

i worry about function way before i worry about price thats not to say i only buy expensive its just i buy what works

Cheers guys. All good advice. I have been rethinking my budget :( But, at the end of the day I do want something that will protect, keep me dry and last a few years.

I have been recommended Rukka by a m/c courier but their kit looks very expensive.

Would you trust secondhand?

Thanks for all your ideas guys. I started thinking about how much my skin was worth and doubled my budget. I've ordered some Furygan textiles — Titan jacket and trousers. I'll let you know what it's like.

Thanks again,

David.

• 1 month later...

Rukka all day long. Don't see any point in compromise when comfort directly relates to pleasurable riding. It's damn expensive but will last years without problem. Mine has a five year warranty.

Unless you buy a Goretex suit, which will be expensive, whatever else you buy (Sheltex etc.) won't stay waterproof for any much longer than a year. My solution to this is cheap, 100% waterproof over jacket, trousers and mitts over my HG Sheltex suit. Works a treat, and also keeps you warmer. Much easier to dry than textile too, as the water doesn't soak into the material.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005 ... ge_o06_s00

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009 ... ge_o07_s00

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N ... ge_o00_s00

Also, I solved the problem of water running down my sleeves and into my gloves by using one of these. The water dribbles off the sleeve of the vest before it gets to your gloves,

http://www.hivis.net/1293/High-Visibili ... tive-Vest/

Also it really helps with being seen, especially riding in all this crappy weather in the dark. ;)

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the info.

I decided on some Furygan textiles (Titan jacket and Duke trousers) based on reviews I'd read in a couple of places. More expensive than my original budget but I've got it on 6 months, interest free credit to make it easier to afford. I've been holding off commenting about them because I haven't tested the kit in the wet apart from a bit of drizzle. One thing I will say so far is that the design of the Duke trousers is such that they use poppers instead of Velcro to cinch the waist which come undone when I crouch down. Very, very annoying since I deliberately got a size up to fit over work trousers which means they a bit too big and start falling down when this happens. The jacket — I'm a 39" chest and I had to return the medium I originally got and get a size up insead — is very warm and wind resistant (I do get a slight breeze down my neck possibly due to the Velcro used for the neck fastening being pretty weak or the neck not being high enough). So far though, as I said, I haven't been out in proper rain yet and the temperature this winter has been mind to say the least so far.

If I'm being honest and I could go back in time, I would probably go for something else due to the poppers on the trousers, the neck and the weak Velcro on the jacket. I expect a bit more quality-wise for my money. Having said that, the kit is comfortable, very warm and gives me much more confidence that I would be protected in an off compared to my other kit. As a bonus, the jacket makes me look like an evil storm trooper, which is nice. Overall, so far I would give it 7/10.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the info.

I decided on some Furygan textiles (Titan jacket and Duke trousers) based on reviews I'd read in a couple of places. More expensive than my original budget but I've got it on 6 months, interest free credit to make it easier to afford. I've been holding off commenting about them because I haven't tested the kit in the wet apart from a bit of drizzle. One thing I will say so far is that the design of the Duke trousers is such that they use poppers instead of Velcro to cinch the waist which come undone when I crouch down. Very, very annoying since I deliberately got a size up to fit over work trousers which means they a bit too big and start falling down when this happens. The jacket — I'm a 39" chest and I had to return the medium I originally got and get a size up insead — is very warm and wind resistant (I do get a slight breeze down my neck possibly due to the Velcro used for the neck fastening being pretty weak or the neck not being high enough). So far though, as I said, I haven't been out in proper rain yet and the temperature this winter has been mind to say the least so far.

If I'm being honest and I could go back in time, I would probably go for something else due to the poppers on the trousers, the neck and the weak Velcro on the jacket. I expect a bit more quality-wise for my money. Having said that, the kit is comfortable, very warm and gives me much more confidence that I would be protected in an off compared to my other kit. As a bonus, the jacket makes me look like an evil storm trooper, which is nice. Overall, so far I would give it 7/10.

Good review of the gear. I also have the Titan Jacket and am waiting for the Duke Trousers which are out of stock at SBS.

After reading your comment I think I'll cancel the dukes. Im a big fan it Velcro belts for fastening the waste and will have the same problems as you with the popper.

As for the jacket, I've been in some right downpours. Only place that gets wet is up the sleeve if your wearing short cuff gloves. Neck area has been OK for me as I normally ride with a hoodie on anyway.

Good review of the gear. I also have the Titan Jacket and am waiting for the Duke Trousers which are out of stock at SBS.

After reading your comment I think I'll cancel the dukes. Im a big fan it Velcro belts for fastening the waste and will have the same problems as you with the popper.

As for the jacket, I've been in some right downpours. Only place that gets wet is up the sleeve if your wearing short cuff gloves. Neck area has been OK for me as I normally ride with a hoodie on anyway.

Nice to hear some feedback about the jacket. I've read several glowing reviews about it.

SBS are really good with returns so you could try the trousers and return them if they're no good. I'm thinking about seeing if I can use braces with my Dukes. They do have zips around the waist for attaching to the jacket by the way.