Fuel guage not working. Help required.

Phooey

I think there are 3 wires on the back of the gauge, brown + , Black/ yell - , and yellow/white to the float. Through the float to the (-)

Link yel/white gauge read full. Disconnect link gauge read empty.

Do not link wires for long.

HTH.

If you do not have a manual there are several on internet to down load.

Now you have a multimeter you can use it to check the wiring.

Use the meter on the resistance range like you did to check the float.

Good wiring will give resistance close to 0ohms.

Also use it on voltage (use a range that is greater than 12v usually 20v).

With the ignition on one of the terminals on the gauge should be 12v.

Got a feeling it's the sender unit. Took the float assembly back out and tested it in the sink. Floats no problem. Connected it all up and gauge read empty. Moved the float to other side and gauge read full. Held float in different places between empty and full and gauge read all over the place including empty when should be half full etc.

Kawasaki want £120 :shock:

Fleabay don't have any and I need the gauge ... can't be doing with all this guessing and trip business. Gauge was pretty accurate too.

Right, the sender is a coil of wire on a former and this is connected to one of the wires. The floaty bit is a wiper that rub up and down the coil(quick nurse the screens). The other wire is connected to this wiper. So as the wiper moves up and down the resistance changes. It is possible that some muck or something has got Into that area and sat the wiper moves it is touching different areas. Hope that makes spence, it does in my head. So it may be possible to clean the wiped area of the coil and hopefully restore the operation. If if don't you haven't lost anything by trying.

Unless any one else has ideas.

Got a feeling it's the sender unit. Took the float assembly back out and tested it in the sink. Floats no problem. Connected it all up and gauge read empty. Moved the float to other side and gauge read full. Held float in different places between empty and full and gauge read all over the place including empty when should be half full etc.

Fleabay don't have any and I need the gauge ... can't be doing with all this guessing and trip business. Gauge was pretty accurate too.

This any good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw ... 7675.m4096

Right, the sender is a coil of wire on a former and this is connected to one of the wires. The floaty bit is a wiper that rub up and down the coil(quick nurse the screens). The other wire is connected to this wiper. So as the wiper moves up and down the resistance changes. It is possible that some muck or something has got Into that area and sat the wiper moves it is touching different areas. Hope that makes spence, it does in my head. So it may be possible to clean the wiped area of the coil and hopefully restore the operation. If if don't you haven't lost anything by trying.

Unless any one else has ideas.

Spot on - had the same problem with a GPZ900. It turned out the wire had worn through and snapped. A tiddly bit of solder got the show back on the road.

This any good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw ... 7675.m4096

Thanks mate. I found one in the end for £20. Possibly an old tank for £30 swop out the sender and re-sell the tank to recover something back.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172078042886? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Few option. Cheers guys