iffy McCarbs of NotfuelingProperlyville

Guest Father zEd

Tuther day when I took my Zeph out for a weeee blast in the (then) glorious sunshine, I noticed that at around 7000 rpm I was pulling as cleanly as what one ought to be doing ...

It was a bit like hitting a rev limiter ....

My hunch is that my carbs are way out synch ...

With this in mind, I'll need to balance them.

I've a rough idea of how to do it and what I'll need to rig up - make shift tank, and buy gauages etc ...

Is there anything else I should be aware of? I know I'll need to find the adjusters before the engines hot or I'll burn my pinkies looking for them ...

Is it fairly easy peasy?? :D

First thing to do is check you have fresh fuel as it will go off over time, then i would suggest getting some wynns carb cleaner and giving the carbs a blast with that before you go down the balance route.

Simple first.

First thing to do is check you have fresh fuel as it will go off over time, then i would suggest getting some wynns carb cleaner and giving the carbs a blast with that before you go down the balance route.

Simple first.

Oooh good idea!!

Will see if I can get some this week!!

Cheers Brother Akey :wink:

nah balancing really only affects the low rev range of a bike to be honest

how does it idle ? is the rev counter needle nice and steady or up and down ?

might be poo in the carbs :?

Mmmmmm!

They might need a strip and clean ...

They've probably not been done since the 18th century :roll: :lol:

The tacho needle is steady in use, or at tick-over and through warming up,

but the bike doesn't rev as cleanly as it should ...

For instance, if I hold the throttle open so the needle would go round to the redline, it sometimes jutters around the 6 - 7000 mark - so it might be muck...

I want to stick a decent air filter on too - the factory one is a right big ol' gay plastic thingy

:D

you got a after market pipe on ?

and when was the last time you changed the air filter ?

oh also look for the exhaust blowing anywhere :)

Pipe fit is quite good ... will check it more closely though .........

It's a Remus stainless - the original would have rotted away hundreds of years ago ...................

I changed the filter last year - at the same time as doing a full service - oil plugs and both filters so that should be v clean still ..

Im with stu here I did the wynns stuff and a new pipercross air filter on mine tonight, have used wynns before and a new air filter always makes a bit of difference.

when you use wynns you need to keep the revs high though to stop the engine stalling and watch the nice blue flames out the exhaust as you throttle off or blip the throttle the first few times after its been sprayed :lol:

it might be worth looking around too to see if there is a local place that can do you a dyno run and tell you what really is happening :)

well worth the 20 - 30 quid they chatge just for the run a full set up can cost upto £200 though but that is money well spent if you are keeping the bike :)

it might be worth looking around too to see if there is a local place that can do you a dyno run and tell you what really is happening :)

well worth the 20 - 30 quid they chatge just for the run a full set up can cost upto £200 though but that is money well spent if you are keeping the bike :)

Can much be sussed if it's an old bike then?

I was (perhaps mistakenly) under the impression that Dyno runs were more use if you had fuel injection and engine management ......................

It's a good idea, and I know a good local spot that I can use ...

How much would I be looking at for a carb strip/clean/reassemble/balance

you reckon?

Might be wise to get a new throttle cable at the same time .......

I think in an ideal world, I do want another bike, but I might keep this one aswell - for general laking about/commuting etc ......... Will have to see how things turn out ... need to sell my Merc too .. that'd help ...

nah dyno runs are for every bike

they check how it is fuelling across the full rev range and can adjust all the needles and jets to suit

for a strip clean and balance i would say no more then about £120

but if you get the carbs stripped cleaned balanced and set up on a dyno it will be a lot cheaper and also a lot cheaper if you do the cleaning and balance yourself

shame your not closer i have a set of guges you could have borowed :)

Ummm ............

I'd pretty much persuaded myself to do the balance myself ...

Don't know if I like the idea of doing the strip and clean though ...

aren't there fifty billion teeny bits in carbs ??

I'd probably have half of them left over when I'd finished :lol: :lol: :lol:

mind your only in leeds its not that far :)

could meet sometime and lend you them

oh and no there isnt loads of tiny bits inside

if vicki can do it im sure you could manage it :shock: :D

Aye.. could meet ya, spesh with the nicer weather only round the corner ...

or be borring and use cars too .......

I've been having a looksie in the Haynes, doesn't seem tooooo bad,

will have to re-read it tomorrow and see what I can suss out

:D

Im with stu here I did the wynns stuff and a new pipercross air filter on mine tonight, have used wynns before and a new air filter always makes a bit of difference.

when you use wynns you need to keep the revs high though to stop the engine stalling and watch the nice blue flames out the exhaust as you throttle off or blip the throttle the first few times after its been sprayed :lol:

on commision me thinks :lol: Give it a service m8, new plugs and filters never a bad thing :wink:

I've had a word with the bloke that has part of the DPS building in Keefley - very knowledgeable sort too!

He reckons there's no point putting it on a rolling road at this stage, as it's very likely to be the carbs ...

I asked for some prices too ...

Rollie Road - £25.00

Carbs strip - £120

Valve clearances - £75 (+ however many shims need replacing at £4 each)

So its looking like the carbs need a reet good seeing to rather than

just a balance ...

Stands to reason really ... bikes probably not had them done for ages!

Now just need to decide which bits I'm going to do myself ...

:D :wink: :D

your more then welcome to borrow my gauges if you want them ED

i will try and get some vacuum hose for them this weekend then they are ready :D

Cheers Stu :wink:

I think I'll have to suss out what I'm going to do about stripping them (the carbs) first ...

No point balancing them yet if they're full of gummy-plop!

I'll shout you if I need 'em though cheers flower :wink: