CBT - Experiences of other Members

Hey!!!!

I passed my CBT today. I had absolutely no experience on a bike, and jumped on the 125 with a hope that I would find it to be the most natural place on earth for me to be.....

....it wasn't!

I got on just fine though, and found the POWER (Petrol, Oil. Water, Electric, Rubber) tour around the bike really interesting. Then we were shown about the safety position and how to safely mount and dismount the bike, before we went around the pad at walking speed.

Our instructor was so chilled out, and it was all about us taking our time and realising that it was within our abilities. Figure of 8 went okay, as did my U turn, although I put a foot down once, but I could try again. My emergency stop was fine, but LOUD (revved up in all the excitment) Whilst I stopped fine, he did tell me that I was gunning it a bit too eagerly, and had build up a bit more speed than he'd intended. Whoops! Adrenaline I guess!

The thing I found trickiest was remembering the start-up and dismount sequences. I sometimes found myself staring at the bike for 20 seconds to remember the safe sequence to put it into neutral, turn it off, and then safely dismount....meanwhile my fellow riders had their helmets off and were chatting already.

I guess I found the controls of the bike to be quite unnatural, and I was still getting used to it all, even when we'd finished for the day, but I passed, and it will come with continued exposure to the machine!

The road riding was fine, although I was extremely nervous. I've been driving for years, but I was so hesitant and didn't trust cars at all unles I KNEW where they were going. The most important advice I would give to CBTrs on their training day road ride, is to go at your own pace. Don't think you have to gun it to keep up, because you may just mis-judge something. They can always pull over ahead and wait, but atleast you've shown that you have safety in mind -which is what most of it's about. If you fall, or get T-boned as you enter a roundabout in an attempt to keep up, you would be at fault and would definitely fail. Obviously, don't crawl along at dangerous speed etc!!!

Great day, but I'm knackered...roll on for a week of DAS.....I'm sure I will sleep well -if not for the nerves!

• 2 weeks later...

Did mine about two years ago.

Advice would be get recommendations from others of where to go.

Did mine the guy I had in the morning was sound, explained in detail about the bikes, maintenance etc. Did the car park bit which was hard as was the smallest car park ever. Didn't feel that confident going out onto the road in the afternoon.

The afternoon came and had a different instructor, a guy I would guess well into his 60s. Bearing in mind I hadn't been on a bike until the morning and that was only for an hour round a car I was expecting him to give me guidance and reassurance.

Instead he was shouting at me constantly saying "your on the wrong part of the road" to name one thing. But rather than pull me over and explain where I was going wrong he just kept shouting then he was getting impatient and saying your doing it all wrong. At his point I was just getting more nervous. He pulled me over and said "what do you want a bike for because you obviously can't ride one" I was almost close to tears and/or punching him.

I just said I didn't want to continue, so I followed him back ironically quite well! When we got back he said maybe do it again when your older, I was 26!

A month or two later I went to do it again but at another school. Wasn't very comprehensive tbh had very little time on the road or the industrial estate, I passed though.

Ended up doing my das at another school, had a big car park were very patient and understanding. Cliche I know but I really couldn't have passed without that instructor. When I was doing an assesment after my ride around the car park. (They weren't happy with my standard for road riding) He was on the radio, "if you miss a gear don't worry about it" etc made me feel more confident. I explained I wasn't confident and they had one guy behind and one infront. Really gratefull they took the time to do that for me.

Seems pretty rough reading some of these, I would of given that instructor an earful if he spoke to me like that... even the patronising "try again when you're older" would of pushed me over the edge, what a twat.

My CBT wasn't so great, I turned up in pouring rain so my instructor wasn't happy at the fact I was pretty much making him go out and get wet (aww, bless), so he was moody from the get go, and when we got the bikes out he pretty much said "ok, show me what you can do" I looked at him confused as in like.. so no explanations then? Nice one.

The intercom was dire, could barely hear what he was saying so ended up taking the wrong turn, and also almost coming off the bike because I heard "left *mumble mumble* right!" so panic/reactions set in and had a small skidding experience (not fun in the wet), apparantly he said "turn left and then take the first right" But I could only make out one or two words from whole sentences because of the intercom.

Eventually it was over, he shut up and let me get on with it so I didn't have to concentrate as hard to try and be able to hear what he was saying AND on the bike/road so it ended up ok.

I was just happy to have my certificate.

• 2 weeks later...

Passed my CBT yesterday, and while it was not completely without "event" I think I was more relieved it was over than anything.

The 0900 start was split into introductions, road safety, equipment, checks, and then bike operation, followed by a couple of hours around the tennis courts doing corners, figure 8's, emergency stops and then junctions around the plastic cones.

A brief break for lunch, and then it was on to the road to put what we'd picked up so far in to practice. :shock:

No matter what I did I could not consistently find the biting point on the clutch. It felt like it was about 1" from the handlebar, and only about 1/8 inch deep. As soon as you started to feel the bike move (without throttle) the clutch seemed to engage fully only a fraction later, making a smooth pull away bloody hard. :?

Going up and down the gears was OK, although again I struggled with finding 1st when I had to stop. When I thought I was all the way down the gears ("double tapping from 2nd") with no neutral light showing, when I engaged the clutch to pull away it seemed to "pop" in to neutral! :cry:

Result = embarrassment :oops:

My 4-wheel vehicle is a Land Rover Discovery which I use correct gearing for all of the time, and never feel the need to slip the clutch or coast (off-road driving has taught me that!). On the bike however this knowledge of crap clutch control on my part completely threw my confidence when starting off.

I have a 125 road ride booked for Thursday before venturing to the 500cc next week. I just hope the 1st gear fiasco is behind me and I can concentrate on the riding.

I think everyone here will agree that learning to ride a bike with gears, to a road going standard in a day, is a damn steep learning curve if you've got no experience.

Nail on the Head there Bill. :thumb:

Horness

EDIT: My wife has never done her driving test, insisting after a couple of lessons that she cannot understand how people can mirror, signal, brake, change gear, and maneuver all within a few seconds. To be honest, I never really understood what the big deal was, until I had a go on a bike.

It's like juggling cats with 1 arm tied behind your back! :lol:

Had to write something after my 2nd and succesful go at my CBT...

It's vary long (you have been warned!)

Ok, first attempt...

I turned up pretty early,to find i was doing my CBT with 1 complete chav and a guy who barely spoke any english (i don't joke) they were both on twist an' go's, whilst i was on a honda CG. After my nerves getting the better of me, and repeating the highway code flashcards, i sat down and waited for the day to get better...

I was fine moving the bike forward and back at walking pace (be it a little bit shakey) but when it came to figure of eights i was putting my foor down every 5 secs... i couldn't master the clutch/throttle to save my life.

By the time lunch came round, i knew i wouldn't be going out on the road, and to be honest i wasn't feeling too confident- esp as i've never been on the road before, bike, car or otherwise... My instructor suggested i come back in a week for a half an hour sesh and have a go at practising the clutch/throttle control. By the end of that sesh, i was doing figure of eights like nobody's buisness... time to book another CBT...

2nd attempt...

More relaxed than my first attempt, i was best pleased to see i was doing my CBT with another female! She was on a moped, but very chatty and really understanding. My instructor had a different approach to the last guy, and i got through the off road stuff, all smiles. :D

Now, the big 'un...

I was told to go in behind the girl, with my instructor following up the rear so that he could keep an eye on me. After about 2hrs on the road, several stalls at traffic lights were i hadn't changed down, and a quick doughnut break at tesco's, we headed back to the training centre.

The girl on the moped got signed off, and my heart sank...

I'd failed again. Much to my delight, my instructor told me he'd take me out for another hour so i could crack my u-turns and changing down my gears.

So, armed with our walkie talkie things, we set off again. I wasn't at all nervous about not having anyone in front of me, and i finally found the 1st gear 'click' when i was changing down. As for my u-turns, after doing 2 (apparently spot-on) turns, my instructor called me over to him, and announced he was happy to sign me off!!! I was absolutely ecstatic! After a very emotional hug (i was knackered and so relieved at this point) we headed back to base, where i got my shiny pink/purple certificate.

I would recommend Passmasters to absolutely anybody- they are so so patient and they really listen to what you want to get out of the course!

My main piece of advice.... RELAX! It makes it so much easier, i know it's hard when you're trying to concentrate on not falling off, but if you relax and enjoy the experience (like i did the second time) it makes it much much easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Passed my CBT on Saturday on a geared bike. Complete biking noob so the learning curve was somewhat angular at first. Great fun after some wobbles and stalling. Did mine on an E reg Honda CG, those things must go forever.

Did the course with a friend, 3 other guys showed up and did it on some ancient scooters. Atmosphere was relaxed, the instructor obviously had a plan to follow but I never felt pressured. He took into account we were car drivers so never patronised us while getting in the essentials and a number of useful tips etc.

The road ride was fantastic, even if it was very damp! Its funny but leading up to the ride I was nervous because of gear changes, stalling, observation but the minute we got out onto the road everything sort of clicked. Just have to work on keeping a good level of observation and remembering to cancel the indicator!

• 3 weeks later...

My CBT experience wasn't all that bad if im being honest.

Being a complete noob i turned up at the place scared whitless.There was another guy about my age(17-19) and he had driven dirt bikes but wanted to get a bigger bike.The instructor was a good guy.He was strict but not overly strict.If you made a mistake he would just tell you what you did wrong then hit you into last week(Note:Exageration).He really was a guy you could get along with.

We had a chat for about 20 minutes about bikes and our experiences and if he has any idea at all what we were doing.To be honest he was just stalling for time because he was having his breakfast when we walked in.

Up on the roof(YES THE ROOF!!) he had us do basic control.Seeing as we ere on scooter it wasn't all that bad.I was rubbish as standard but after a while i got the hand of things.One thing i couldn't do were U-Turns.Dont know why i just couldn't do them.

By the time the instructor was satisfied it was getting dark and we had decided against going out onto the streets in case it got really dark and i was still a little nervous.

A week later i came back,this time on my own,and off we set.As i was on a scooter i managed a top speed o 3mph but it was brilliant.Im not going to go over it all because everyone knows what you do when you go out on your first run.

It didn't go to well.I was clearly a noob.Another week later i went back and nailed it.Mainly because i was left on my own because the instructor was concentrating on a girl on a 125.He kept watch over me but i was pretty much left to get the things i had previously done wrong,right.

After 3 weeks,god knows how many hours and a over a grand in money spent,i drove away on my little hairdryer.Chuffed to pieces i was.

:D

I did my CBT last September with a training centre in Birmingham. There were four of us on the course, two mopeds and two geared bikes (one of which was me).

The day started on private ground and went through the usual basics. It all seemed fine and I had no problems on the open road apart from the U-turn. I was quite frustrated because I did them perfectly in the test grounds, but when I was on the open road I looked at the curb, started to slow so I opened the throttle some more and looked pretty unstable... I didn't put a foot down or hit/drop the bike, but my instructor was pretty annoyed (I guess because he didn't expect me to do such a spectacularly bad job!).

The instructor constantly took the p*ss and was very critical, but completely fair.

Well, I took the CBT course yesterday with Eastside Riders in North London.

My motorcycling history prior to the start of the course was this:

Aged 14 (ish): Rode my friend’s little dirt bike in his field.

A month or so ago: Had a very brief spin on my housemate’s Vespa, on our street, the day he picked it up.

Last week: Rode pillion on a mate’s Kawasaki SV650.

So not much really! I’m planning on going on to do my DAS, so I booked CBT on a geared bike to learn the ropes and get some practice in before the big one.

When I arrived, the instructor made a little talk about how quite a few new riders doing CBT on geared bikes really struggle and that we had the option at that point to switch to twist and go scooters if we wanted to. I did wonder if I should change due to my relative lack of experience, but I really believed that I’d be ok and wanted the challenge and satisfaction of completing the course on manual, so I decided to stick with it. There were just three of us out of a group of 8 on geared bikes.

To add to the experience, it caned it down with rain yesterday, but I expected it and took waterproofs, so it wasn’t so bad.

So, onto the first set of car park manoeuvres. I didn’t have any problem with finding the biting point etc. and getting moving. Neither did the other 2 guys and we all progressed well through changing gears and riding a circuit and doing U turns etc. In fact the only thing that happened to me was that I locked up the rear on my first emergency stop. I really have to credit Marc and Marvin from Eastside for their excellent teaching. They both really know how to put you at ease yet commanding respect and they really know their stuff and are just great, patient teachers and general good guys! I loved the fact that they were complementary of good riding as well as firm and clear, but fair when things needed improvement. Its great to find that there are some fantastic trainers out there, given what has been said about some people’s experiences with instructors on this forum.

They made the middle classroom section on highway code etc. a bit of fun but still covering the serious issues and then it was onto the road ride.

I was a little bit apprehensive about going out on the road for the first time on a bike, but that soon evaporated away as we set off. I was at the back to start with, which I really liked because I was able to just watch what was going on in front and do my own thing. We then stopped on a quiet street to practice U turns and emergency stops, which all went fine. I was really pleased to find I had very few problems doing the U turn, even on my first time out, given what I’ve read and heard about them. I hope I can continue my good fortune with U turns!

So, all in all, I feel it was a really successful day. I had a great time! I even think the experience was somewhat enhanced by it being horrible and wet! I feel quite proud of myself because Marc said that he thought I was a natural and that he would be happy to recommend that I am ready to take DAS right away. I’ve got to take the theory test now and then its onto DAS. I can’t wait!

:D 8-)

Well, like Nikobe, I went to Eastside Riders' Gloucester branch to do my CBT today, and all in all it went very well.

[As an aside, my gf is learning to drive cars at the mo too, and she drove the way to the training centre with me supervising. On the way some knob in a white van came over onto our side of the road and knocked the wing mirror of my car! I'm really annoyed. He drove off and now I've no idea where to go to get it fixed! t.wat!]

My girlfriend did the CBT with me in order to get over her fears of me getting into motorbikes. We rocked up this morning 15 mins early and turns out we were the only people learning today. Lawrence, our instructor seemed like a sound chap from the off, and after checking our licences matched their counterparts, and that we could read a licence plate (and a very dirty one at that) from 20m away, we were off!

We started out with some basics about the safety gear, how you should replace your helmet after even dropping it once, and that you should replace it after 5 years due to general degradation and cut the straps off when you throw it away so nobody else can use it. He talked about benefits of different types of biker wear: leathers great but not completely waterproof or the warmest at this time of year, goretex good but no necessarily the best stuff to take a smash in. He was a stubborn advocate of wearing gloves, even if it's warm, as the first thing you do when you fall off is put your hands out to break your fall.

We then went over the bikes we were going to use. The Two Hondas were silver and 08 plate so very nice indeed. We went through POWER as people have mentioned here and general bike maintenance. Lawrence explained how the bike worked, how the clutch and gears would work, and the important bits of safety before setting off. We then practiced putting bikes on and off their stands and walking with them. My gf dropped hers once but to her credit handled it quite well, not damaging the bike. We then got kitted out with helmets, gloves, high vis and got ready to ride.

My helmet was prob the worst part of the day, as you spend most of the day wearing it and mine just plain hurt! I obviously have a large and somwhat mis-shapen head and spent the rest of the day looking (I'm sure) like a complete tool, and a rather large red mark on my foreheard for the rest of the day!

We walked the bikes out to the yard, a large car park coned off for our use. Practised starting and stopping, clutch control, and getting a general feel for the machines. Manouvers weren't too bad for me, although I struggled balancing the clutch, gas and rear brake to go at a reasonably slow speed whilst going doing the figure of 8. Here my girlfriend found it slightly more difficult, eventually electing to switch the bike for a twist-and-go. The theory being the certificate covers her for both and Lawrence said he'd rather see her pass in one day as a scooter is relatively simpler. It was her idea, and I think she could have done it on a geared bike, but she didn't want to hold us back and was getting more nervous and pressurised trying to nail the figure of 8.

Manouvers done, we wheeled the machines back to the class room for another talk on junctions, roundabouts, road positions, defensive riding and a bit of highway code type stuff. Nothing too taxing. After a short break for slash taking, refreshments and food we got kitted up with everything again. This time including the radios so we could hear our instructor (imo it's a shame we couldn't have talked back!). About now he started talking about something called "disco daaave" doing some kind of sound check, except repeatedly throughout the afternoon! Most entertaining.

The road ride was good (and sunny!), but busy, with us heading out just as the afternoon school rush began. We took it easy around suburban bits of gloucester before stopping on some relatively quiet side streets to practice our controlled stops and U-turns again. Instructions over the radio were nice and clear. We took it in turns to ride up front but didn't go at any serious speed as the scooter tended to top out at about 40mph. My girlfriend had a good time although she said the radio earpiece was slightly uncomfortable. I don't remember whether it was or wasn't as by now I wanted to chop my own head off! :evil:

After a good hour we arrived back at the centre and were told that with a bit more practice we'd be pretty reasonable out on the road. We then got our certificates and had our pics taken for the website (helmet hair and all). Then I drove us home, wing mirror precariously dangling, had dinner, and collapsed. Aching a bit but happy we'd done it :D

Hope that wasn't too long!

I'd thoroughly recommend them in Gloucester, they've only just recently set up about 8 weeks ago there and we were the 21st and 22nd students to pass :D http://www.westsiderider.co.uk/

• 4 weeks later...

Did my CBT today... the school recommended that because I had never ridden anything before I should use a 50cc moped instead of a geared 125 - but I said no I would like to do it on a 125 (this was when I booked it).

So I turned up today and everyone there again tried to tell me that I would never get the hang of it all straight away on a 125 and that I should use a 50cc ped so again I said no I want to use a geared bike.

We went through all the normal stuff - riding round a car park like area doing U turns, emergency stops, controlled braking etc and then went out on the road.

There was only me and the instructor as there was an odd number of people doing it that day - so we rode around for 2 hours and it was absolutley bloody freezing and windy as hell but I still enjoyed it. Got back and the instructor said I was one of the best riders that had taken a CBT there in the last year :) he said he thinks I would only need a couple of lessons before doing my test so I'm pretty pleased with the overall experience. The instructor also apologised for doubting that I would be able to 'handle' a geared bike lol I dont know why, it seemed pretty easy to me but I think thats because I've been driving a car for a couple of years (i did explain that to them).

However, I do think that I would of been absolutely crap if I hadnt already been driving a car for a while. There were loads of junctions, traffic lights, one way streets etc that I wouldn't of known what to do at if I didnt have experience driving a car...

I hope the Honda shop round the corner from me is open tomorrow cos I want a bike! :D

Just did my CBT today, but i have very little energy left and im feeling tired and sleepy.

Therefore i shall not write a lengthy story about my expirience, but i will say it was very tiring, had to concentrate all the time, but was also fun in parts.

However it is definetely one of them expiriences that you think afterwards you are glad you have done it and dont have to do it again, for me at least anyway.

And although i passed without any major problems, dont listen to everybody who says its ALL easy because if you adopt that attitude, believe me, you WILL be unplesantly suprised.

When I did my CBT the first time (about 8years ago now) I did fine. Then we went out on the road. Being nervous, I was a little more careful (read: slow) coming up to a roundabout. The first guy and instructor went round and I had to stop for a few cars. I saw which way they went, and when a space came I went after them. I was a way off so I pushed it a bit to catch up. I went passed a 30 sign at naughty mph. Still passed.

I had a moped :crybaby: and though I didn't need to do a CBT (I'm licensed to ride 50cc) but I figured it was a good idea anyway.

I took my CBT about 6 weeks ago, at the age of 48 (now 49!!)

Gotta say I really enjoyed it.

Done all the usual stuff, pushing bike around, u turn, emergency stop etc. The intructer then said 'do you fancy a go on a bigger bike?' - Er yeah!!

So back to the storage room, out rolls a Kawasaki 500 - ' have a go on that' he says

Up and down I go, doing a few turns, and stops, felt easier than the 125!!

Then he says, time to do some road riding, 'on this?' I ask 'If you are are happy to' he replies

So, took my CBT (and passed) on a 500 - brilliant!!

- and passed my 'big' bike test this week - woohoo!!

• 4 weeks later...

I had my CBT yesterday and it was terrible

Started with the old this is a helmet, helmet good no helmet bad etc.

Then out to do some 'training'. I got riding round, starting, stopping changing gears up and down. Then came the slow maneuvering. I found it a might tricky as I pulled the clutch in rather than use the rear brake to slow down but was getting usede to it.

I had a couple of goes round some cones then got told I wouldn't be going out on t road. I wouldn't have minded but it was only 10:30am and the only other guy who turned up arrived on a bloody scooter as he was just renewing his and had everything down easy.

Is this normal for a CBT, I did expect to be there til 4pm so saying I wouldn't be going out at 10:30 seems a bit mental. It was raining a load so would I be jumping to conclusions that the examiner wanted an early day by just taking out the guy who could already ride?

I must admit i'm very p***ed off as it cost £140 for 2 hours of someone telling me they don't like rain

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Just done my CBT, did one on a twist and go years ago when I had a moped, then moved on to cars, and commercial vehicles of all ages, vintage to modern, now getting onto 50's bikes and earlier so did my CBT in prep for the proper training.

I had never ridden a geared bike until today, quad bikes yes, bikes no.

I told the guy this, and we did a good class room stint, then the off road training, the thing that I had issues with is all of the control being on the rear brake, not at all normal to me! I also had issues in getting the bike into Neutral, it was either first or second!

Had some dinner, and went out on the road, quite nervous, and was just like when learning to drive a car, concentrating on the bike, or the surroundings, found it hard to do both, that is why I am going to try to get the bikes into my head, like second nature, on some private land near me. Then I can think a bit more about the road and learning to ride in the correct way a bit more. Just getting the co ordination is hard to start with.

Anyway, met the required standard so that was good.

My Father is doing a CBT next weekend and then we will have to get some training booked. Was thinking DAS, but the 125 test sounds good enough to me, as most of the classic bikes I am interested in will be under 33bhp and the course is nearly half price! I also get the bigger bikes opportunity a couple of years down the track!

My advice, is to let the instructors know before the day if you are a total beginner, and then they should be able to get you through in a day, unless you need extra which is fair enough, if you pay for a day though, make sure you do a day, conditions allowing, get your moneys worth either way!

Cheers

Dave

Congrats! :D

I had mine yesterday, and after practically no sleep the night before (i can't get used to sleeping properly after my night shifts grr!) i really thought i was going to do badly.

David (my OH) did it with me, we got there and went through the talkie bit, there were only 2 others, one guy doing his DAS and a girl on a scooter, so a nice small group.

They only had 2 scooters and 2 bikes (Honda CG's) so the three of us wanting the bikes took it turns on the scooter, I went first on the scooter just doing straight lines, I was quite happy about this as I'd been quite apprehensive about using a geared bike! lol

I then had a few go's on the bike and because i went on the scooter first, i kept forgetting that the clutch wasn't the brake! lol so stalled a few times when stopping, but once we'd got on to the circling I'd got the hang of it and Jane our instructor said i was doing really well considering i'd not ridden before 8-)

The figure of 8's and the emergency stops went pretty well, when we did junction training i couldn't find the indicators easily so kept wobbling and putting my head down oops!

After that me and David had a nice long break to sit and panic about riding on the road while Jane took the other 2 out first.

I was practically falling asleep by this point so had a trusty redbull! I was feeling ok but scared about suddenly going out on the road :S

When they came back the other 2 had passed :) but mentioned that the radio's were a bit rubbish and kept cutting out, (joy!) and the guy on the bike said the bike kept stalling, seemed to be something wrong with it, (I let David ride that one, but it turns out it was rider error rather than a fault with the bike :lol:)

So now was our turn, one of the bikes had been standing about so Jane said to me to circle for a bit to warm it up (i was only too happy to do this as I felt I needed far more practise off the road first!)

And that was when I came off it. I'm not quite sure what I did, but managed to speed up on a corner, panic, and go up the curb and get my foot crushed under the bike as it fell on me!

So my confidence took a big plummet and I wasn't looking forward to going out on the road :(

I was very nervous and couldn't relax. Jane was absolutey great, I went in front first (as Davids ridden before a long time ago they focused more on me which i was very happy about!) and Janes instructions were very clear and precise (the radios worked perfectly for us :) ).

We were out a lot longer than the other guys, and by the time we'd done the U turns and emergency stops, I was actually starting to relax and started enjoying it as I'd managed to keep the bike under control at the millions of roundabout we went over.

We finally went back to the test centre and I pulled up and realised I'd just had the time of my life! I was really happy.

We passed and now I'm so looking forward to later today to pick up my new Suzi vanvan!!!!! :D wooo

• 2 weeks later...

WHAT A DAY!!

Ok first off we got all the boring stuff out the way, clothing, helmets, boots etc etc. Then we had a look at a bike so he could tell us where the throttle etc etc... Then me and this 52 year old had to cram ourselfs into a van with the bikes in and go to their practice site which was probably the worst part of the whole day tbh.

Ok so the first time on the bike i was shitting myself, finding the biting point and all the slow manuevers (?) where harder than I thought, at first i started doubting whether I would be able to do it. But then we started going up gears and building alittle speed up. The rest was peasy once I got used to it.

Then back to the Garage (crammed in the van again!) to get ready to go on the road. At this point I wasn't sure whether I was ready, but once we got out it just came to me and started to feel natural. I loved every bit of it and was slightly dissappointed when we had to finish.

The old guy I was riding with had previous experience on a bike (you wouldn't have guessed) he stalled at traffic lights because he was in second :shock: and when he was infront on the 60mph road he only went 40. I just really wanted for the instructer to put me in front so I could gun it (well it was wet so 50 :lol: ) but he didn't. :crybaby:

End of the day I hadn't dropped the bike, I was getting more and more confident in my riding and I only stalled once, on a slightly steep hill start I didn't let go of the brake but carried on putting more throttle on and releasing the clutch DUH! but lesson learnt huh.

Boots were great, jacket was great and gloves were great. I don't know what else to say really except for that I loved it and can't wait to get a 125 and start practicing fot the big one!

Theory next tues 8-)

Oh yeah it was a honda cityfly, nice bike i thought

I passed my CBT today woooooooo

I was well nervous what with my first CBT being a bit of a sham and a few weeks back but this time it was brilliant. The instructor was great, explaining things really well and giving good feedback on my riding (mistakes)

Spent all morning with gear changes, slow manuevers, emergency stops etc. Went out on the road around 1pm for 2 and half hours. It was brilliant being on the road and just confirmed my thought that buying a bike was a freaking good idea! The first 20 mins or so were a bit freakish but after that It was all good. I did have a few panic moments but they just helped me learn and improve. The last hour was bliss though, can't wait to get my bike tomorrow and get some more experience on the road!

my CBT was the first time i had ridden a bike, had a bit of trouble with the figure of 8 but other than that went really well. Well that was untill i got a bit brave on a ride around the streets and ended up taking a corner well wide and nearly into a car :evil: i have never had a more extreme brown trouser moment than that! all went well in the end and somehow managed to pass :)

• 4 weeks later...

i did my CBT a few months ago..

id never stepped on a motorbike (ridden that is i sat on my daddy's one lol) and my riding school was excellent.

Helped doin it on my own as the other guy didnt turn up.. but they were patient with it.

Any advice id give is the simplest things.. they are there to teach you, dnt be worried about soundin silly and askin questions u may deem stupid. I bet you someone else has worried bout the same thing.. jst be open and be sure you understand what they are talkin about. Get em to repeat, go into more basics, etc.

Better to be Safe, than sorry? :)

Riding school i used was ADS motorcycle training in LetchworthGardenCity.(hertfordshire) :)

i passed first time :)

Josh

x

• 2 weeks later...

Ok a bit fuzzy and long but here is my CBT story.

I arrived at Streebike all kitted out in my new Berik jacket, shark samurai helmet and 661 gloves. Nervous as hell but have no choice but to pass, all the new stuff you see and paid £2000 for my YBR.

I sit in the car with my wife who is trying to push me out, there is a guy in the car next to me I wait for him to go first he walks in seems to know where he is going so I follow. He stop to speak to a big guy getting bikes out of the back of Streebike the big guy getting out the 125cc CG looks to me and says “you here for your CBT?” I say “yes” and points me to the stairs at the back.

I walk up the stairs by now thinking I am never going to pass this i don’t even know where the gears are! i walk into a small office, where a guy is making tea he asks if i want one i decline, he looks at me with all my kit and says you won’t need our stuff most of it smells anyway, he laughs, i sit quiet (crapping myself). Then three men enter,the big guy who was pushing the bikes around, the guy i was stalking and another all of them in their 50’s. The big guy says “I’m Mike your instructor for the day they called me 50 cent you know why?”(Well he is not black) so i say “only 50 percent pass?”He smiles.

The guy I was stalking leaves to get his bike ready to do his DAS.

Leaving Mike, me and this new guy; Mike and the guy start chatting i sit there not saying a lot. Mike asks how the guy’s boat is and if the stuff he gave him fits ok (they know each other) turns out they have been friends for a long time. All i am thinking now is i have no chance 50 percent pass and his best mate is one of us!

We have a very informal chat about what’s going to happen and safety then he asks to see our licences both of us have old paper ones he looks at his friends and says “that’s fine” he looks at mine and asks if i have any photo id i pull out my passport he starts looking hard at my provisional licence. He says there is no cat A he turns to the other instructor getting his stuff on and says “look at this what do we do” turns out i can only ride a 50cc! My heart drops i paid for my bike now, Mike says “you watched me pushed the bike around, i got to put it away now and get you the chicken chaser.” I ask “what about doing it with gears” he say “no problem do it on the 50cc and apply for the new photo licence when you get it, it will have cat A on it.”

The three of us go down to the car park. I get on the chicken chaser the other guy gets on the 125CG Mike tell me where the accelerator and brakes are that take a minute, then he runs though the CG. Ten minutes later we are going around the car park it’s like been on a two wheeled go cart. The guy on the CG having problems he can’t get the hang of the gears. It comes to the emergency stop I get some speed up and Mike steps out! I stop and I haven’t killed him, now the guy on the CG didn’t do so well he pulls in his clutch and hits the fence few more attempts and he gets it. The figure of 8 is next on the 50 its easy round and round i go the guy on the CG drops it again and again, I feel so sorry for him.

We get told its lunch time and we go back up to the office where Mike breaks the news to us “Royston you will be going out on the road.” he then turns to his friend and says “you won’t be out today” the friends quite happily says “I don’t want to go out I’m far from ready.” We go to lunch.

After lunch i meet up with Mike and the skies are going grey we get ready with headsets so he can shout at me. We walk back to the bikes and he explains to take my time and if i lose him just to wait. Ok we are off i pull out and then the shouting starts “LIFESAVER!” we go on a bit further. And he starts shouting “OWN THE ROAD!” after been out for 20 minutes the rain starts the heavens open i think we will have to go back soon. But no, one more hour of riding in the rain around and around the same 5 streets and being told every two minutes “TO OWN THE ROAD!” Then we get a bit further into Halesowen, traffic lights and islands still hearing the yell of “OWN THE ROAD”. an hour later we come back to the big island by Streetbike, I come down the left hand side of a bus that is in the middle lane, i can see he is indicating to go right so away i go across the island, then i hear that shout again “pull into the car park” on the car park he says “you were doing so well” i ask if i passed he says “yes but be careful around buses.”

• 2 weeks later...

I did my CBT in september along with a bloke doing his on a scooter. I got there while the instructor was unloading the bikes from his van (a scottish bloke with a big grey beard and a little tartan cap thing). Then he unloaded his poodles onto the car park, not as sick as it sounds, I mean he had three dogs with him, a small a medium and a large one.

So the situation was a bit odd so far, but I was in a bit of an excited daze. Had a bit of a chat and a tootle around the car park and got into it pretty quick, the weather wasn't bad, good times. Hit the road and the slightly nervous scooter bloke wanted me to lead, but my earpiece kept messing up so he went ahead instead and I just followed and caught about one word in three over the radio.

After a while we pulled in for a coffee and it was my turn to take the lead. Radio still being a knacky piece of crap though I missed Santa the bike instructor telling me to turn left and ended up on my own. This was my first u-turn experience on a bike on the road and I was papping my panties which led to a royal fcukup. I stalled perpendicular to the flow of traffic right in the middle of the road... twice.

Throughout the course of the day I forgot to cancel my signal a lot but it felt pretty good to be out. I was limited to just over 30 to avoid leaving the scooter behind though.

Got back to the van with the poodles in it, got the certificate and got back in the car. The car park where the guy runs the CBT is about 2 minutes from my house, but seeing scooter man at the bus stop I offered him a lift home to Newcastle (10 miles or so out of my way)... biggest mistake of the day. Not because his banter was poor or anything, just the fact that half an hour later, instead of being home booking my DAS lessons I was still driving... into the back of a brand new BMW at a roundabout. Don't know if I was daydreaming or what but it was my own stupid fault to bump the car for the first time in 4 years. Wasn't too bad and luckily the driver was pretty sound and didnt make me fork out for a whole new bumper, cost me £170 and delayed my plans of booking bike lessons, which I didn't get round to doing for about another 2 months. By this time the nights were dark and frosty (my first 2 were cancelled and most of the lessons I ended up taking were in the dark in freezing conditions).

It's all a sour memory now though and I'm pretty glad I don't have to do all that again!

• 3 weeks later...

I did my CBT at the start of December 08.

Having never ridden a bike before and learning how a clutch worked 4 weeks before when I started my driving lessons I was pretty nervous. I turned up early... Biggest mistake ever as we had to wait 20 minutes for this other guy who was late to eventually show up.

I had about an hour of safety talks in a room... Was told about riding safety equipment etc and told about suitable fitting boots. The guy looked at my trainers (laces tucked in) and laughed.

We were then given safety stuff and had to push the bikes down the road to training area. (Honda CG125)

I reckon we were given about an hour of talks on what to check before riding bike, Brake fluids, tire pressures etc

There were 2 other people doing the CBT that day.

We all lined up and were told to pull away.

The idea of the clutch being on my hand confused me, at first couldn't get a feel for it.

After about a minute I was able to pull away. Stalling every other time I stopped, Didn't give it enough revs.

We then must have spent about 3 hours riding around cones doing figures of 8 and virtual road junctions practicing indicators and positioning etc.

Quick lunch break.

We then had an hour of talks about speed, road position and stopping distances.

After that we did the 2 hour ride out...

As there were 3 of us I was told to wait with another instructor while the one who took people out went out with the other 2 people. I waited about an hour before the other instructor took the 2 and I went out alone with the other instructor.

We rode around housing areas, he was commenting on road positioning and telling me to go slower round corners.

I was fine going up gears but coming back down was a problem. So he took me to an industrial estate and made me perform a number of stops to practice going back down to first.

He gave me a couple of tips, when at the lights pull forward a touch to make sure your in first.

I had to perform a U turn and a stopping exercise where I had to walk the bike to side of the road, as if an ambulance was coming up behind and your stopped and need to get out of the way.

We then rode around some country roads, was the greatest feeling of my life! :mrgreen: Never been on a motorbike before and at this point I was hooked!

Overall I did a bit over 2 hours on the road riding, I was given my CBT certificate.

Now after 3 months and allot of ebaying I can finally afford my full bike license training and test.

Would like to be on a restricted R6 by the end of this year. Anyone know how much I will be looking at on insurance? 18 year old 8-)

:cheers:

• 5 weeks later...

I PASSED!!!

Just got back from my CBT about an hour and a half ago, and I passed! So happy! No strikes either!

Finally, my CBT experience :)

Nice early wakeup call for a half hour train journey... (That's 6.30am wakeup, for a 7.07 train...)

Little trouble finding the place, but when I got there, all good! Once we got the talk over and done with, it was time for the bikes. I was on a Yamaha SR125. Nice bike, Loved riding it.

Simple pulling off and stopping, then round their marked out track with road markings. All good still. Then moving on to figure of 8's. Was a little worried about this section, but all was good. I put my foot down once or twice through panic that I was going to go over.

Then, the dreaded U-turns. No problems at all. They're easier than people make out to be.

Road talk. All basic knowledge if you drive. Still good to have it reinforced though. Funny thing was, the two people who were car drivers were getting questions wrong. (Worrying, much? lol)

Road riding. First hour, fine. No problems. Did U-turn and emergency stop. Damn cyclist wanted to cycle past as I did my U-turn, but it was all okay. I had to do it again 'cos I put my foot on my curb. Cyclist made me misjudge it. Did it again, no problem. Same with emergency stop. Second time lucky!

Second hour of riding I lost radio contact with the instructor, so after realising I was on my own. I rode back to the training area. That was all fine, no problems, no danger. I'm happy! Was scary when there was a bus behind me! But I got over that.

When the instructor came back after realising that I'd probably gone back to the test centre, he was relived to know I got back okay :)

So that's my experience for CBT. Now to get a bike :)

CAN'T WAIT!

Thanks for all the advice too, guys. It really helped!