MoD1 is booked now....(Updated)

On the 12th May I got my module 1 test booked. My instructor was surprised to see that my weak spot wasn't on the figure-of-8, but it was the Emergency Stop. I think I'm finding it hard because I have dropped the bike twice now when practicing it. I applied to much rear brake causing the bike to slide out and inevitably losing balance and being a shorty, doesn't help when trying to keep a lump of a machine upright.

Any advice or suggestions?

Edited by Troy

Advice? I didn't actually use the rear break, if I did it was hardly anything. I just rested my foot on the leaver, didn't push down.

Test guy mentioned it was one of the best emergency stops he has seen, went through the trap over 50KPH and stopped in less than the average for that test centre.

So yea, just make it look like you are using it, worked for me :-)

Hiya, yeah agree with the guys above. Also remember that the examiner isn't looking for how quick you can stop (within reason - if you go sailing past the end of the course you may be in trouble :lol: ) but that your technique is good (no skids or wheelies!).

• 1 month later...

Well.... I failed.

Nerves got the better of me. I was shaky which didn't help. I began to feel myself losing stability and balance during the figure-of-8 and also the U-Turn, this caused me to put my foot down. I knew I had blown it after the second time my foot hit the floor. The rest of the course was fine. Still really disappointed though....

I had an audience of others waiting for their turn which made me feel like I was in the spot light. I don't blame them for my failure, it just didn't help.

CBT runs out next month too, gonna have to shell out for that before I can rebook my next lesson/test. I have only been doing one lesson a month too, but I think I may need to up that to two lessons.

The nerves are the worst! It's what got me. You'll get there.

Failing that I do know someone who eventually gave in after 3 or 4 fails and went for hypnotherapy before taking their mod 1. They passed so looks like it worked, may have been a coincidence though? Lol

I failed my mod1 first time round for almost exactly the same reason, nerves on the slalom - had done it no problems in practice.

Advice I was given was to stop thinking of it as a slow riding exercise, same for u turn. If it feels like you're going to lose balance, speed up a little. Got through second time with no faults.

After having some time to ponder on the event, I can say for sure now that I have a big issue with counter-balancing. I can throw my 125 around like a banana. But when I'm on that 650, I just got the thought stuck in my head about falling over and dropping the manchine.

Ah well if you think you're gonna drop it then you probably will because you'll start looking down rather than keeping your head up. Pick a nice spot a good few meters away as your guide point and remember you don't get bonus points for tightest figure 8 so keep it nice and wide and you'll nail it. I asked the instructor if I could take a minute after the manual handing bit and before you start the slalom (so I could take a few breaths and calm down) He said no problem as it's not a race!

I know it's easy to say don't let the nerves get to you but remember it's not a race and you can take pauses between the elements just to refocus and you'll nail it

:thumb:

troy how you getting on? if you need some advice on getting threw your tests meassage me ill get back to you, i passed my theory cbt mod 1 mod 2 all in the space of 3 weeks ill try help u mate

:up:

troy how you getting on? if you need some advice on getting threw your tests meassage me ill get back to you, i passed my theory cbt mod 1 mod 2 all in the space of 3 weeks ill try help u mate

Hi! Sorry for the delayed response, I don't visit these forums very often.

Not much has changed since. I got to pay for a renewed CBT in the next 2-3 weeks, then will have two or three more lessons again before I rebook for my MoD1. I will get out on my 125 as much as I can until then so I will (hopefully) become a better rider in general. With the weather showing a prettier face at the moment, I'm trying to use it to my advantage and get out on the bike more.

troy say to your self no matter what happens pass or fail i aint going to give up untill i got my motorcycle licence, even if it takes 6 months ! a year ! or even longer dont give up mate, your cbts guarantted pass anyway so get your mod 1 booked.iv been riding bikes all my life and the only thing that helped me get my full licence was SLEEP. when you have loads of sleep it helps you focus more you dont get as nervous and you can take on board what your instructor is saying to you. mod 1 is a peace of piss mate

,just squeeze the tank of the bike with your legs and make the bike apart you, once you can master that connection with your bike your be able to pass mod 1 with no minors. its really hard for me to exsplain but you got to now the bike inside out .... its clucth biteing point......the weight of her

.....how sensitive the breaks are. i did my test on a ducati monster 750. the clutch was so high i kept stalling it the 1st time got on it . but as the day went on training i got to no her better and made slight adjustment like giving it more throttle before pulling away. i then went on to pass mod 1 and mod 2 on her and that was only a few weeks ago. but anyway keep going mate dont give up find that sweet spot with the bike really get to now it inside out and get loads of sleep and your do good trust me.

It took me three attempts to pass MOD 1 all due to that avoidance manoeuvre. I got it in my head that I was going pretty fast but wasn't and failed on being too slow through the speed sensor, when I got the speed right I kicked the cone! :roll: I also had a failed attempt (3rd) due to getting to the test centre to find the examiners were on strike! :evil: I knew it was just nerves holding me back but was determined to nail it even joking with the examiner about getting an invite to the Christmas party. :lol: Finally everything came together on my third attempt (Well fourth if you count the strike). In the end I took a few minutes before each part to take a few deep breaths and calm myself, (even talking to myself to get it right) I was glad when I passed my MOD 2 first time with only a couple of minors. All I am saying Troy is take your time and stick with it you will get there........and it is such a great feeling when you do. :wink:

So the next MoD 1 test is now booked for July 11th. Between now and then, I got my CBT renewal on the 18th June, a lesson on the 4th July and another on the 9th July. That should hopefully be enough to get me through this time.

Well.... I failed.

Nerves got the better of me. I was shaky which didn't help. I began to feel myself losing stability and balance during the figure-of-8 and also the U-Turn, this caused me to put my foot down. I knew I had blown it after the second time my foot hit the floor. The rest of the course was fine. Still really disappointed though....

I had an audience of others waiting for their turn which made me feel like I was in the spot light. I don't blame them for my failure, it just didn't help.

CBT runs out next month too, gonna have to shell out for that before I can rebook my next lesson/test. I have only been doing one lesson a month too, but I think I may need to up that to two lessons.

I failed my first car test due to nerves and when I had my second and passed. I realised it's was no more pressure than driving with my instructor. So when I took my bike test just went in with a cool head because knowing it's no different to your instructor watching you. Just imagine in mod 1 and 2 the person giving you instructions is your instructor. The nerves will go.