How many miles before taking the full licence?

Hi!

I wonder how many miles you should have done after passing your CBT before taking the full licence?

I passed my CBT in January this year and have done just over 1000 miles in 2 months (and will continue at this rate due to my rather long commute and leisure activities). I was thinking to take the full licence 6 months after the CBT or even earlier if I have time. I am thinking... I encounter so many different scenarios, roads, junctions etc. every day so after 6 months I should hopefully be confident enough to ride a bigger bike. My mileage should be around 3000- 3500 by then. Maybe it's important to mention that my commute includes a lot of London's rush-hour traffic and as annoying as it is it's probably good practice.

What do you guys say?

To be honest.

its like asking how long a piece of string is.

A lot of people go straight from CBT to their tests while others spend years honing skills on a 125.

I suppose the downside to many miles of practice on a learner is the tendency to pick up bad habits.

Just do your test mate.

To be honest.

its like asking how long a piece of string is.

A lot of people go straight from CBT to their tests while others spend years honing skills on a 125.

I suppose the downside to many miles of practice on a learner is the tendency to pick up bad habits.

Just do your test mate.

And the down side to rushing onto a bike that's too big for your ability is scaring yourself shitless or getting smeared across a wall :lol:

Swings and roundabouts, I say do it at your own pace and see what works for you. No need to feel that you should take any more or less time than seems natural to you.

I went from never sitting on a bike to having my full licence in 4 weeks, in hindsight that was a little too fast and the result was I've dropped the bike twice in the 2 weeks I've owned it and I'm now back to square 1 in regards to confidence.

Edited by Guest

Rant.

Everybody is different old boy.

Not saying it's definitely the way to go just giving an opinion.

I also think it has a lot to do with past experience, both on 2 wheels and in a car.

Personally I didn't own a bike for 20 odd years before doing DAS. I'd had 125's as a kid and also scooters (proper ones) but had also had a car license for 20 plus year.

So for me 125's made no sense at all.

Same as some of the others on here. I took my CBT having never ridden anything before, then booked my DAS and just got on with it.

If anything it was easier riding a bigger bike than a smaller 125 as they're more planted.

From no licence to a full licence in 2.5 days and I'm still alive!

Its not about mileage!!

:stupid:

What's a CBT

Seriously you take as long as you need to get ready for the tests. There is no right or wrong.

I did 2 years on a 125 before doing my DAS. Girl I was with hadn't really ridden before. Instructor said we both had as much to learn. Her how to learn to ride and me how to learn to ride properly :lol:

I did 2 years on a 125 before doing my DAS. Girl I was with hadn't really ridden before. Instructor said we both had as much to learn. Her how to learn to ride and me how to learn to ride properly :lol:

When I did mine I had a kid with me who had lost is licence on the 6 points in two years ruling and had to resit his test again

he was done for speeding!

He was slow as anything and really couldn't ride a bike! the instructor had to spend more time with him!!

after the 2.5 days I passed he failed!

Not sure if he had too many bad habits or what but he was shite :lol: he was always leaving indicators on and stupid stuff like that :?

I'm hoping to do the DAS in a few months time.

What are the habits I need to get into for the test?

I've been riding a lot in the month since I did the CBT but I've been driving 4 wheels since 1996 so probably full of bad habits.

Oasis remembering your life savers on all roundabouts and lane merges!

Cheers, I have made that a habit already.

Is there anything else that's mandatory? Like the '10 to 2' hand position in the car driving test, is there anything hands, feet related?

Sorry to steal your thread Marko.

Eeeerrm don't leave your foot over the rear brake is the only thing I can think of :) don't worry your instructor will very quickly let you know if you're doing something wrong :lol: