Connecting USB charger for Sat nav advice

Welsh1da

Hello, I purchased a Tom Tom sat nav for my 2011 YBR 125 a while ago and need some advice.

Now this charger has an 'on off' switch on the top of the unit and I had the terminals connected directly to my battery. I've recently come off a hefty repair job on my bike, where my battery and regulator was allegedly knackered which, according to the mechanics, was a result of using the USB charger (I've since found them to be cowboy repair men, so don't know how much truth there is to this).

So by having an on off switch do you think its safe enough to use directly connected to the battery and probably didn't cause the initial damage?

Can USB chargers potentially knacker a battery and regulator when used?

Are there any chargers or ways of using or wiring a USB charger that would be suitable for my bike, as I'd really like to use one on long trips?

Cheers!

:stupid:

Cause the USB will be live if not through a relay and "could" eventually flatten the battery, just like an alarm.

Yeah, I hear you there but the USB unit has an on off switch on it so no power is supplied to the USB

Its this one: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Motorcycle-parts-USB-Cell-phone-GPS-Charger-Lighter-Interface-12V-24V-Waterproof-Universal-Switch-Mirror-Mount/32491345105.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ooppps skipped that bit. Yep switch off, isolated should be OK.

Batteries and regulators do fail but that should not have done it.

Mine is wired as GOG said ie via a relay.

re reading, did the Tom Tom not come with a bike wiring kit?

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/accessories/mounts-docks/bike-mount-kit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

like this

No, the Tom Tom is just the cheaper 4.5" 'start' model, comes with a suction mount already attached that I stick to the rev counter screen with a lanyard round it and the mirror in case it ever comes off so I don't loose it.

Comforting to know this did not cause the issue and wont present a problem, I'll reinstall it tonight, got a week off next week so it'll be getting its ten pence worth.

Cheers again guys.

A charge point is on my list too, but I may try and persuade my totally awesome dad to come help as he is amazing and it will probably work if he does it :mrgreen: