Anyone had back surgery?

NearOn

So over the last 3 years, nearly 4 I have suffered badly with sciatica down my right leg. I've seen numerous consultants and had too many MRIs. The latest one shows two prolapsed discs. They finally feel after 3 years of pretty constant pain, and numerous occasions of not being able to move that I should have one of the discs shaved down. Basically shave a bit of it off. Even for this which isn't majorly intrusive I'll have to take 6-8 weeks off work and 5% chance it won't work and lead to increased pain.

Anyone had this before? My day to day life currently is ok but for example I can't play football anymore or do any sort of impact exercise. Can't swing the toddler round in the air or generally just do dad activities. The misses even has to do my right shoe lace!

I do still manage to ride the bike as touch wood is easier than using the car as use the leg a lot more in the car and positioning makes it worse.

Anyhow if anyone has any experience of it then let me know :)

NearOn

Know a couple of close family members who've had different types of back/neck surgery, one of which was messed around for months before he eventually got surgery, and went from bed ridden to picking up his 2 year old in what seemed like no time at all

I had it , sounds exactly like what your going through, I had the op in 96 or 97 , had a bit of my disc cut away to release the nerve, A fall of a scaffold tower started mine, it got to the stage where I had no choice but to have an op , was in fooking agony and I feel for you mate. Twenty years later I'm ok , yeh I have to be careful with lifting any thing heavy ( I have to lay down to have a piss :D ) and get the odd twinge and bit of pain but I'm ok, hope you get sorted.

Edited by Six30

Yes.

L4 L5 removed.

L5 S1 halved.

If you want comprehensive information give me a shout. May take a couple of days as I'm stuck in Birmingham with work till Thursday night.

Thanks all, glad to hear positive experiences, the ones I have come across online so far mostly been negative. It's a difficult one as I can walk and get to work but I'm in constant pain pretty much, been so long I've just accepted it and try to do my best but I shouldn't accept it really and strive for a better quality of life.

Thanks NeilM I'll send you a pm, no rush, got 3 months to wait for the op at least. :)

Thanks all again, much appreciated.