Distance between the cones?

Hi! Can anyone tell me how far apart the cones are in the figure of 8 exercise in the CBT? Also, is this exercise done solely with the clutch, or is there a little acceleration?

Hi! Can anyone tell me how far apart the cones are in the figure of 8 exercise in the CBT? Also, is this exercise done solely with the clutch, or is there a little acceleration?

CBT (although i guess this could differ depending on training ground size) and MOD 1 the cones are 6m apart for the figure of eight, 4.5m apart for the slalom and 7.5m distance between white lines for U turn.

My figure of 8's on MOD 1 were all clutch control. Up to 2000k revs and all clutch control I don't remember the CBT much, all a bit of a blur really.......and it was only in May.

Can be all clutch control, or using the throttle, doesn't matter so long as you make nice figure of 8's. I did a bit of both. Just find what is comfortable for you :-)

When I practice them I:

get going

pull the clutch in a little then set my speed to where I want it with the throttle, so the revs are up

just pull the clutch in or let out slightly as necessary to change speed, trying to leaving the throttle in the same position

and if I feel I am going a bit too wide and too fast, give a soft tap on the back brake to avoid having to disengage the clutch

At slow speed you want control more in yards per hour instead of miles, and the throttle does not give you that fine level of control. So you use it to get the revs up for stability and to avoid stalling, but can then use the clutch to make slight adjustments to your speed.

Also, if I had one tip... Don't try and go too slowly! Try a comfortable speed (speed=stability) and when that's easily repeated try slowing it down a little bit. Good clutch control as suggested is the key, but you want to be practising that not worrying about wobbling off because you were going at 1mph.

Sent from my phone.

If it helps I used to half the distance when I was practicing and it didnt take to long to master, then when test day arrived the distance was doubled and I though I could do it in an arctic was very easy.

If it helps I used to half the distance when I was practicing and it didnt take to long to master, then when test day arrived the distance was doubled and I though I could do it in an arctic was very easy.

This. I looked at the U-Turn lines on my training and said there is no way that is 7 metres apart, instructor just smiled and nodded at me as if to say yes it is now get on with it. so I did. Test day came and I couldn't believe how much more room I had, I was cursing him under my helmet. :D

Get to speed in a straight line, look where you are going (keep looking where you want to go throughout!), keep constant revs, pull clutch in to allow slip and feather back brake to adjust speed. Stretches bike out and keeps bike stable. Don't try and adjust too many things at the same time; keep clutch bite and revs the same, then alter speed with the brake. Hope that helps.

When I practice them I:

get going

pull the clutch in a little then set my speed to where I want it with the throttle, so the revs are up

just pull the clutch in or let out slightly as necessary to change speed, trying to leaving the throttle in the same position

and if I feel I am going a bit too wide and too fast, give a soft tap on the back brake to avoid having to disengage the clutch

At slow speed you want control more in yards per hour instead of miles, and the throttle does not give you that fine level of control. So you use it to get the revs up for stability and to avoid stalling, but can then use the clutch to make slight adjustments to your speed.

Keep the back brake on all the time for even more control.

so back brake on, throttle set to revs high enough not to stall and use the clutch to control speed. With the back brake on all the time the bike will slow down much quicker and it's one less control to worry about.

Don't worry too much about cone spacing, just practice tighter and tighter circles and figure of eights. One day you'll need to do a U-turn in the road so being able to turn the bike at full lock and minimum turning radius is very useful skill.