Tips for a stuck clutch??

hardleydavidson

Hi,

So, after getting the engine going I find the clutch is stuck. I can pull the lever and there is tension, but when I put it in 1st and pull the clutch the gear is still engaged. I have a straight gearbox, neutral, down for 1st, down for 2nd etc.

Any tips to free this without having to take the case off would be appreciated.

if it hasnt been parked up for long its unusual for the clutch to stick up have you trried leaving the engine off put the bike into gear pull clutch lever in and rock the bike to see if it frees off or even let the bike warm up so the oil is warming up and then see what happens

Is this with the bikes rear wheel off the ground that it's spinning ?

It's not just the clutch idling as no load on wheel that make you think it's still engaged

Have you tried wheel on ground and clutch pulled in ?

My dad's bike is really bad for this but it sits for long periods. A oil and filter change helped but sometimes he still needs to either rock the bike to release or run up to temp and the plates release. New clutch plates would be the proper solution they are maybe past their best

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Some FJR's have had a problem like this

the solution on those is to pull the clutch and soak it in oil

Because the clutch is high up on the FJR the oil drains off and the inner plates don't get enough oil

Tried the rubber mallet, tried bouncing it, rocking it, swearing at it.

Read that this might work though...

Run the engine so it heats up to operating temp

Position bike so front wheel is against a wall and sit on it

Pull the clutch

Whack it in 1st

The theory being that with the rear wheel being unable to rotate it will free the clutch, I don't know anything about clutches so I don't know if this would work.

If you are going to try the engine running method you need to have the rear brake on. Just holding against a wall will either stall the engine or allow the rear to spin.

if you have a centre stand you could start the engine and in gear repeatedly stamp on the brake to try and release the clutch.

not tried this on any bikes so i accept NO responcibily if it goes t**s up. :D

Have had to do this in the past with cars though. but they did not have a centre stand. :wink: