Downpipe clamp

Chris79

So at end of last week i noticed a new noise coming from engine when closing throttle when revs were in mid range and above. Gave the bike a look over today and one of the clamps (think that is what they are called) that are used to bolt the down pipes to the engine has snapped. I guess that since that down pipe is now no longer held tight to the engine that is the cause of the new noise?

Should be an easy fix but despite trawling internet I can not find any to buy, only a complete new down pipes set. Am I being blind or can you only get them with full down pipes set?

Cheers

What bike year model etc ?

You should be able to get the clamps separate but some do only have them fitted to the pipes.

Exhaust leaking will sound louder and can cause small popping noises on engine braking

Edited by TimR

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-yzf600r-2000-4tv9-england-104tv-300e1_model40430/partslist/0013.html#results

Looking at fiche looks like pipe attached if you still got thundercat as listed .

Possible way round us getting the broken clamp welded or a split clamp fabricated similar to

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1990-2001-Kawasaki-ZZR1100D-Exhaust-Headers-Clamps-Holders-Collars-ZZR-1100-D-C-/292044144282?nav=SEARCH

If you measure the pipe diameter and stud placements i will look and see if i have a spare one i can post to you if theres a chance of it fitting

Many thanks for taking the time to respond Tim and for your very kind offer to try and help me out, I really do appreciate it. I do still have the 2000 Thundercat.

Having thought about it further I think perhaps I should just bite the bullet and buy some new downpipes. The existing ones are quite grotty and this may be just the first problem with them failing. I did intend to replace them at some point anyway as part of a wider strip down exercise but was hoping to have a second bike by then so I could tinker at my leisure and make a mini project of it. Inconvenient timing as always !

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

Many thanks for taking the time to respond Tim and for your very kind offer to try and help me out, I really do appreciate it. I do still have the 2000 Thundercat.

Having thought about it further I think perhaps I should just bite the bullet and buy some new downpipes. The existing ones are quite grotty and this may be just the first problem with them failing. I did intend to replace them at some point anyway as part of a wider strip down exercise but was hoping to have a second bike by then so I could tinker at my leisure and make a mini project of it. Inconvenient timing as always !

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

No worries Chris but just in case

Dimensions are

Centre of stud hole to stud hole 6.8cm/outer edge of stud hole to outer edge of stud hole 7.6cm

Pipe diameter 4.3cm

Total clamp length 8.5cm