Failed CBT

Then as Bender says, get a 125 and practice every single chance you can
You can't practice until you get through the CBT. I'm with Bender on the bicycle idea. Its not a question of months. It could be days. Any old sh1t bike will do. Just get on it and ride. Not even fast. Balance is most important at LOW speeds. its moving off and stopping that causes most people difficulty. Also looking from side to side. You need that for your shoulder checks (lifesavers).

When you can ride a bicycle in a figure of 8, stop and put your foot down you are a good way into riding something with an engine.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. Will have plenty of time to practice as they are fully booked for cbt until the 21st of September

Well the way it gone yesterday was something like : the instructor showed me the controls of the bike and then gave me no more advice. He was expecting me just to do it straight away. I did teach people in the past to drive cars and I never actually expected them to drive a car just after telling them what's doing what on the car.. And actually support them and give them advice.

I suppose with the CBT it should be the same. The attention of one of the instructors should go with the one that actually struggles and not both instructors to be on the ones that are there for refresher CBT

And you can't fail a CBT but they do make you feel like you do when you have an experience like I did yesterday

Thanks for all the replies and sorry for the late answer but I was stuck at work. It's probably been 20 years since I haven't been on a push bike. Would you guys think that should I just get a push bike for a while and start riding that and go for motorcycle training after a few months? This new company that I found they do actually have a rolling road for you to practice and start feeling the controls of the motorbike before they get you on the training ground, which for me seems to be a good idea. The main issue I had yesterday was that I couldn't feel and control the throttle and obviously the speed wasn't fast enough for riding the bike

It sounds like whoever you used were tossers pure and simple. Hope they didn't take your money if that is how it actually went.

I took two days to complete my CBT. I am not a natural on the bike. And it probably had something to do with making a couple of BMW

and Merc drivers shit their pants as I careered at them round a corner, unable to turn. :lol:

As you say, you've found another place. Hopefully they'll do more 1on1 and help you get settled a bit on the bike. Mine got us to use

our throttle hand with nothing else, just to get the feel.

Then as Bender says, get a 125 and practice every single chance you can. Is exactly what I am doing.

Good Luck :D

Hell yes, they've took the money. I wouldn't been bothered about £130 if they've actually showed interest on my progressing but I do start to feel like I was robbed :) well, I'll just let that pass as in life you do have a lot to learn from bad experiences. And thank you

If it's something you really want to do perhaps you could arrange some one on one training ? A couple of hours one to one and I'm sure you would be fine.

• 2 months later...

Hi.

I was like this and I feel your pain. New rider at 70yrs. Started on a Piaggio MP3 then Honda CBF 125 and now a Yamaha YZFR 125. In the early days Iv'e seen me get all the gear on and then walk away from the bike and go back indoors. I was lacking in confidence.

The Youtube training vids and practice and more practice did it for me. It's brilliant when you come through to the other side.

You'll get there, keep at it and don't let em knock you back.

Regards.

I had major problems at 68 years old. I did my cbt, and similar to you, I had a few months on a 125 (Suzuki gsxs 125). I went for DAS training and could not physically do the manual handling on a 650cc bike. I'd had health problems and only weigh 68 kg, so trying to push a 200kg + machine about was knackering. (The training school taking the piss didn't help much either). My 125cc only weighs 133kg so I'm able to handle it no problem. I eventually took the test (paseed both MOD'S 1st time) on my 125cc, got an A1 licence and love it. My Suzuki does 75mph, but does struggle with a headwind! If they bring in the new legislation where it's possible to do A2 on a 250cc I may step up.