Nobody Expects!

XTreme

As a complete aside, my ex and her brother co-owned a nice little apartment in Aguadulce (the family home from a time when they lived there with their parents), and consequently I got to know Almeria quite well. It's a nice part of Spain, and many a night we'd go out for a few drinks and just feast ourselves on the free tapas that came with them. I doubt that would happen now.

Bars can open till 6......but I think a full lockdown is going to happen soon.

It was more the free tapas... do they still do that?

As a complete aside, my ex and her brother co-owned a nice little apartment in Aguadulce (the family home from a time when they lived there with their parents), and consequently I got to know Almeria quite well. It's a nice part of Spain, and many a night we'd go out for a few drinks and just feast ourselves on the free tapas that came with them. I doubt that would happen now.

Bars can open till 6......but I think a full lockdown is going to happen soon.

It was more the free tapas... do they still do that?

Yup still plenty of tapas you just need to go to the right bars.

Aren’t all supermarkets full of the same stuff now anyway?

These are British supermarkets......not Spanish ones! We need to get all the stuff for over the period at Brit shops.

We can get turkey in town......but everything else you can think of that you have at Xmas isn't available.

Also, curry isn't a big thing here......so no hope of anything like that either.

Well yer but apart from Christmas fare, turkey n brussel sprouts etc what is missing? I’m not picking holes, I genuinely wanna know.

I did a quick recce of the larger supermarkets in Granada when I was there and thought a lot of the produce was better than the tiny portioned, clingflim wrapped, over priced offerings we get here but then sadly marmalade and decent tea were missing :D

I thought I’ll just have to order them online but this Brit supermarket thing sounds like the answer.

These are British supermarkets......not Spanish ones! We need to get all the stuff for over the period at Brit shops.

We can get turkey in town......but everything else you can think of that you have at Xmas isn't available.

Also, curry isn't a big thing here......so no hope of anything like that either.

Well yer but apart from Christmas fare, turkey n brussel sprouts etc what is missing? I’m not picking holes, I genuinely wanna know.

I did a quick recce of the larger supermarkets in Granada when I was there and thought a lot of the produce was better than the tiny portioned, clingflim wrapped, over priced offerings we get here but then sadly marmalade and decent tea were missing :D

I thought I’ll just have to order them online but this Brit supermarket thing sounds like the answer.

Christmas in outback Spain is Xmas but not as we know it lol, it's an experience, especially if you take in a midnight mass.

Alot of the stuff in the supermercado is the same and some of the fresh stuff is great, some is not so great, they weren't big on lamb, the chickens were like sparrows, it's just different.

The chicken I bought in Lidl in Granada was frighteningly turkey sized but then who knows where they’re sourcing them from, they did glow a bit in the dark...

Don’t know but don’t think I’d be spending Christmas out there often anyway, too many family here.

[mention]Bender[/mention] did you live there?

No just visited alot 😁 in law's lived out there, they offered us there place but the wife would have non of it :crybaby:

So they moved back and sold up.

Damn damn n double damn, that’s no good, what was she thinking?!

My mum has a place in Mijas we use so I’ve got an idea but I’m wanting to go closer to Granada cos I’m not unrealistic about wanting to have access to all the comforts I have here.

A lot of people will groan but simply I want what I have here but somewhere sunny with good riding.

I can’t speak Spanish which I reckon will give me the cut off from world but still in it thing I’m after.

No just visited alot 😁 in law's lived out there, they offered us there place but the wife would have non of it :crybaby:

My mum has a place in Mijas we use so I’ve got an idea but I’m wanting to go closer to Granada cos I’m not unrealistic about wanting to have access to all the comforts I have here.

A lot of people will groan but simply I want what I have here but somewhere sunny with good riding.

I can’t speak Spanish which I reckon will give me the cut off from world but still in it thing I’m after.

That was the problem with the in law's, her mam loves shopping and getting dressed up for a night out, so they bought in the middle of nowhere, where the getting dressed up consists of the men fastening the belt that's normally halfway down there leg and the woman take the cooking pinny off.

Nearest shopping of any worth was in antequera, where when it was busy you were hounded by romainian Street urchins if you sat outside.

They also didn't like the extreme temperature, too cold in winter, too hot in summer, WTF they bought where they did is beyond me lol, I loved the place though, it was like the wild west with drunk people.

That was the problem with the in law's, her mam loves shopping and getting dressed up for a night out, so they bought in the middle of nowhere, where the getting dressed up consists of the men fastening the belt that's normally halfway down there leg and the woman take the cooking pinny off.

Nearest shopping of any worth was in antequera, where when it was busy you were hounded by romainian Street urchins if you sat outside.

They also didn't like the extreme temperature, too cold in winter, too hot in summer, WTF they bought where they did is beyond me lol, I loved the place though, it was like the wild west with drunk people.

The Wild West with drunk people sounds frickin awesome, send me the address!

People seem to have unrealistic expectations of themselves when they buy abroad. Like they’ll undergo some immediate personality transplant where the things they enjoy at home suddenly won’t appeal or be needed anymore just because they didn’t miss them while on holiday for a week.

I don’t want to have to travel far to do any job so it would be unrealistic for me to think living over half an hour away from services I use regularly would be anything other than a bind, hence Granada.

A place near (but not in) a town next to a city is the kind of thing that I’m after. That’s what works for me here.

I’m not willing to forego broadband (or equivalent), easily getting stuff delivered, a decent hospital, a large supermarket, supplies for whatever mad idea I come up with next, somewhere to get my phone fixed when I’ve dropped it etc etc.

So back on topic(ish) the supermarket supplies in Granada, am I going to be hoicking a suitcase full of teabags and marmite through the airport? :lol:

We're 100 miles from the city of Granada though!

I'm talking about things like Fray Bentos pies, Pukka Pies, Curry ingredients, Uncle Bens Rice, Frozen Chinese dishes, Brit confectionery, Kelloggs Cereals, Porridge, Mushy Peas, Pasties, Custard, Ambrosia Creamed Rice etc.

@Slowlycatchymonkey yup near somewhere is sensible, your bb will probably be better in Spain.

One of the recce’s I did the flight was full of expats (cheap weekday flight) and he said connectivity is not an issue, people who don’t have access to good broadband just get unlimited 4g and a VPN n they’re set. Problem with that is Id be tempted to watch the news and I like the idea of not knowing what’s going on in the world!

Anyhoo where’s [mention]XTreme[/mention] with the supermarket n teabag situation update?

People seem to have unrealistic expectations of themselves when they buy abroad. Like they’ll undergo some immediate personality transplant where the things they enjoy at home suddenly won’t appeal or be needed anymore just because they didn’t miss them while on holiday for a week.

I don’t want to have to travel far to do any job so it would be unrealistic for me to think living over half an hour away from services I use regularly would be anything other than a bind, hence Granada.

A place near (but not in) a town next to a city is the kind of thing that I’m after. That’s what works for me here.

I’m not willing to forego broadband (or equivalent), easily getting stuff delivered, a decent hospital, a large supermarket, supplies for whatever mad idea I come up with next, somewhere to get my phone fixed when I’ve dropped it etc etc.

So back on topic(ish) the supermarket supplies in Granada, am I going to be hoicking a suitcase full of teabags and marmite through the airport? :lol:

You thinking of going to Spain?

Left at 10......and back by 1.30! A round trip of 140 miles!

First stop Brit shop 1......

alb1.thumb.jpg.3eb4f529bb63d0363d6e950e95806277.jpg

Filled up half the boot there......starting with the most important first! 3300 Tea Bags!

alb3.thumb.jpg.822501a3fd44b1d41e42048a4051057e.jpg

Then it was Brit shop 2......

alb2.thumb.jpg.161fbdffa9d0ca5bbe238d36548b1f37.jpg

Culminating in this......

alb4.thumb.jpg.06f9ff59fe7573ed5ce9cf8ee5d0b223.jpg

Saw two Guardia......one was pulling a gypo on the motorway.....and the other coming from the opposite direction.

Mission accomplished without incident! I believe this is what is known as Dark Shopping! 8-)

We will be wen Covid f*cks off and we know what the long term damage is to us financially.

Have done many recce’s looking at the areas around Granada, had even found a place to rent and paid the deposit but that all went down the tubes when Covid reared its ugly crowns back in March.

Heyho gives me time to consider mi teabags n marmalade :D

We will be wen Covid f*cks off and we know what the long term damage is to us financially.

Have done many recce’s looking at the areas around Granada, had even found a place to rent and paid the deposit but that all went down the tubes when Covid reared its ugly crowns back in March.

Heyho gives me time to consider mi teabags n marmalade :D

You mentioned Internet?

10401453363.png.896009b6eb61760a4e8a0b69e85813cd.png

In terms of a job......not a hope! You'd need to do your own thing and go self employed.

@XTreme those speeds are a fantasy, you’ve made them up :lol:

Won’t be needing a new job. Should be able to run most things remotely and assuming there’s still an airline still operating come back when necessary.

As you know, you'll become a third country national after 31st December. So unless you've already got residency and paying into the system (to get healthcare) by that time then it's going to be very difficult. Unless you're super rich!

Also, Granada has very few Brits compared to the likes of Malaga, Alicante, or Valencia provinces........English is not spoken here. So you'll need to get a degree of competency with the language very quickly.

And as I understand it, UK driving licences will not be valid!

That was the only good thing with the in-laws place there were no English where they moved to, they picked it pretty quickly out of necessity.

The Brit shops were full of loudmouthed Cockney type f@ckers! It was like being in an episode of EastEnders.

They just can't shut the f@ck up can they? And what they say makes no sense!

If they hear my voice......you can see the expression change on their face. Always happens!

Doesn't happen with Northerners though!

That was the only good thing with the in-laws place there were no English where they moved to, they picked it pretty quickly out of necessity.

The Brit shops were full of loudmouthed Cockney type f@ckers! It was like being in an episode of EastEnders.

If they hear my voice......you can see the expression change on their face. Always happens!

cause they think ... Welsh Twat tea bag thief.

cause they think ... Welsh Twat tea bag thief.

https://media.giphy.com/media/RjoLWhQBFEcHS/giphy.gif' alt='GIPHY>'>