Redding: "I’m hungry to take one step more and to take the title."

rennie

_ap32785_full.jpg

The title fight between Scott Redding (Aruba.It Racing – Ducati) and Jonathan Rea (Kawasaki Racing Team WorldSBK) went all the way to the final round at Estoril in 2020 but Redding, who finished as runner-up last season, is aiming to go one step further as he enters his second season with the factory Ducati outfit; looking to stop Rea making it seven consecutive MOTUL FIM Superbike World Championship titles in a row.

2020 provided different challenges for everyone up and down the paddock but one additonal challenge Redding had, as a rookie, was to learn tracks for his new machine as well as different tyres and a new weekend format as he contested the WorldSBK weekend format of Race 1, the Tissot Superpole Race and Race 2. With a year of racing using Pirelli tyres, the Ducati Panigale V4 R on WorldSBK circuits and the format now know, Redding is hoping to take Rea’s crown from him 2021.

Looking back on 2020 and how the challenges will help in 2021, Redding said: “The 2020 season was a really exciting year for me, it was my first year in World Superbike and to be with the great manufacturer of Ducati was really nice. We had a great bond also with the Aruba.It team. This is important to me and this is what gave me the feeling to try races again, I hope for 2021, we can go one step more.”

“The difference from the 2020 season going into the 2021 season is the experience that I’ve gained. I’m not going to every circuit... it’s not that I don’t know the track, but I don’t know it with a superbike, the tyres, the brakes. Small details but it means I need to start lower down than the other guys and play catch-up. On top of that, there were new circuits for me to learn as well. The new format in WorldSBK compared to all the other racing I’ve done in my career. Going for 2021, I’ve got all that in my pocket so I’m looking forward to being able to start on the same level as the other guys at the beginning and being able to fight for more victories.”

Aruba.It Racing – Ducati Team Principal Stefano Cecconi echoed these thoughts, saying: “Scott's first season as a rookie has been amazing because he has shown great speed and a strong feeling with the Panigale V4 R right from the start. Given the experience he gained last year, when he had to tackle tracks for the first time and he was new to the Superbike format, we expect him to make the leap this year.”

Watch the Championship battle unfold in 2021 using the WorldSBK VideoPass[1]!

References

1. ^ VideoPass (secure.worldsbk.com)

Let's block ads! (Why?)

View the full article