forks

Guest gary__w

hi guys n gals

my sons aprilla has a problem, we took the front wheel off to have puncture repair done, when we tryed to rest the bike on its forks it didnt want to stay upright and kept rolling over to the right , the right fork compresses really easy compared to the left one ,, does tis mean that it is sheged and needs to go to the dealers for repair for a high price. :?

seals? easy to do if you get a haynes manual, will set you back 40 quid in parts.

the fork could be bent, but i highly doubt it, in fact i think its almost impossible to bend one fork....

thanks will be tellin him to get over the dealers to get it done ,, he wont like payin money out but ha ha welcome to my world in one hand out the other, thanks for the advise and input its much welcomed, im not to good at any of this stuff ive only changed inner tube , chain & sprockets , indicator, tyres, sorted running prob since i had mine not really done to much mechanical work though

Forks are easy if you know what you are doing, if you don't then you can really knacker 'em up so probably better to pay out and take 'em to the garage. By the sounds of it the chances are you've lost oil out of one of the tubes, maybe through old fork seals, maybe just not done properly in the first place. If you feel confident enough to take off the top of the fork tubes (can be done whilst they are still on the bike if you can get the socket in) then you can 'dip' the fork oil with a length of CLEAN wire, a bit like checking the oil dipstick on your car, to see if the levels are equal or not. Check the seals & fork bottoms (you should have a bolt/allen thing that holds the fork internals together) for any signs of oil, don't forget to lift the dust caps off the top of the fork seals. Also check the sliding part of the tubes are smooth and free of damage, scrathes and rust as these will all affect the performance of the oil seals.