Mini-USB to battery?

Guest cwarrener

Anyone have any idea how to wire in a mini-USB(male) socket to a standard 20V battery? I'd like to charge my phone/GPS on long journeys. I've got a 240v(normal plug) to mini-USB, could that be cannibalised?? :?:

Ahem, sorry! 12V I mean. I know nout about electrics! I need 3.7v , 1350mAh ?? Maplin do a cigarette-lighter thing for cars with the right output, could I just wire that into the battery somehow?

• 2 weeks later...

could be done fit a fag lighter to the battery bus off your alternator/mag (pure 12vwhen engine on then) buy the lighter adaptor for your nav and the rest is done for you... :-) as stepping 12v down to 5v will be hard enough yet alone the amps plusif you spike you may spike the usb line and kill the usb so the transformer will remove the spikes.

anyway good luck not a hard job just take time and learn to splice or solder lol

Anyone have any idea how to wire in a mini-USB(male) socket to a standard 20V battery? I'd like to charge my phone/GPS on long journeys. I've got a 240v(normal plug) to mini-USB, could that be cannibalised??

you find most usb power cables have a step down built into them so you can run a sat nav which is 9 volts of 12volt so if you cut the plug of you be taken the step down off! and it well burn out anything thats under 12 volts

My solderings up to snuff, so I think I'll get a separate fag-lighter and use a conventional converter thingy and bung it under the seat somewhere. Left it too late, I'm off to Ireland next week *gulp*, got a spare battery anyway. Thanks for the advice all!

• 2 weeks later...

you can get a wireless charger for 5 pounds from carphonewarehouse just plug into bottom of phone and it charges i think you put batteries in the charger or plug it into cig lighter

Guest David

its not the cheapest option but the optimate charger range have accessories that will give you a fag lighter socket fro a bike battery. just need to use the normally in car setup from that