Exhaust Blowing

handyandy24

Hiya guys. I have a new bike and this my first bike. Usually if your car exxhaust blows its a bad sign, unless its a silly race on thats meant to

Now my bike exhaust isnt standard. its a carbon end can or something. When i close the throttle in most gears at mid speed i hear lots of pops as the engine is winding down, the pops as i call them come from the exhaust. Is this normal?

what bike is it ?

it could be one of 2 things

leak in the exhaust system letting air in on the overrun which causes it to pop

or

the bike is overfueling at closed throttle

both wont do any harm but if its the fueling you could do with having it set up on a dyno and it will be a lot smoother no popping and possibly a little more power :)

have a look here for your nerest tuning centre http://www.dynojet.co.uk/tuningcentres.php?type=1

a dyno is a rolling road they put your bike on it and do a series of runs in 1st gear all the way to 6th and a 4th gear roll on

the dyno analyses the gasses comming from the exhaust and lets the tuner know whats hapening with the fuelling

you can then have the bike set up if needed and the bike will run miles better :)

prices very £20 - £30 for a dyno run and £120 upwards for it setting up

as yours is carbed you want need a power commander just different jets and maybe needles adjusting

but as your new to bikes it could just be normal :)

i always put my bikes on a dyno for peace of mind :)

you can do it yourself if you know what you are doing and i wont even do it as it can be a black art :?

first things first though

start the bike and put your hand over the exhaust and keep it there you will hear it blowing if there is any leaks and the bike should stop if there is no leaks :)

its fine, my car does the same its got a full stainless system manifold - back box, non standard.

Its just the lack of air getting to the engine when u let off at high revs. All engines do it, but the non standard exhaust just amplifies the sound.

• 3 weeks later...

if you put you hand over the exhaust and make sure there is no gasses coming out from the end-can, then the engine should cut out in a matter of seconds

to see if it is blowing, start the bike, get someone to hold their hand firmly over the end of the can, and look along the exhaust for any signs of gas escaping elsewhere.. its most likely the exhaust gasket so look at where the exhaust meets the barrel underneat the bike, and you should be able to see/feel with your hand, air escaping from the join..