Help with my newly aquired GPZ

Guest KawasakiAndy

Hi, new to the site, have recently been given an old Kawa GPz550 and its in a bad way.

The engine had seized from being stood for so long (2+ years) so i took the end cover off and turned the crank nut with a spanner, and luckily it started turning with the plugs out.

But with the plugs in, i cannot get it to turn over at all, on a bump start it locks the wheel.

Any ideas how i can free it up?

Also, i charged the battery and there is nothing, no lights etc.? Anything obvious to look for, fuses fine, but i suspect the battery to be no good after all this time?

Many thanks, Andy.

remove the plugs and drop a bit of oil down each port and leave it over night then turn it with a spanner

as for the battery if its been stood 2 years it will be fooked a new one will be needed :)

by the waywelcome to the site stick a post in newbies :thumb:

sounds like it could be a bad valve on one of the pots. I only say this as it sounds like its causing an air blockage in the pot when its trying to turn it with the plug in hence sealing it but it turns ok when the air is free to move

Thanks Stu i will do that.

Today i bought a new battery and just fitted it in. I turned the key and nothing, yesterday i noticed there was an aftermarket alarm fitted and wired into the bike, one wire directly connects to the battery. So i fiddled with the alarm from the fuse and got a little beep noise and eventually i had a neutral light when i turned the key. But absolutely nothing else, no indicators, lights, horn and nothing on the start button. Surely i must be getting something to be seeing the neutral light? But there is nothing else.

Im wondering is the alarm messing with my electrics.

Overall, the wiring looks ok, theres nothing broken or fraying and everything is tightly together. Apart from one red and white wire, there are 5 of these, 2 joined together and one on its own. So i played around swapping them, but still nothing, i swapped the two that were joined and the alarm siren went off nearly deafening me :lol: Until i turned the key when it went off.

So, i carried on fiddling about with it and i am having no luck. What do you suggest, disconnecting the alarm and see if anything changes? What is the function of an alarm, to disable the electrics so it cannot be hot-wired as well as omiting the siren when there messed with?

Also, thanks Andyhipster, i will investigate this further when if oil does not free it up.. hopefully not a bad valve, as i dont have the first idea. When you say bad valve, what kind of things could make it do this?

Thanks, Andy.

if its been sat for a while all the carbon deposits and shit that builds up could have stuck the exhaust valve to the valve seal, this would cause the engine to compress air in the cylinder when trying to turn the engine, used to see this alot with older bikes that have been sat for a while.

if its been sat for a while all the carbon deposits and poo that builds up could have stuck the exhaust valve to the valve seal, this would cause the engine to compress air in the cylinder when trying to turn the engine, used to see this alot with older bikes that have been sat for a while.

Thanks mate, theres been a bit of a development :)

Well, i found a missing negative battery wire that was hidden well under the frame, so i hooked that up and to my amazement everything worked. Even the starter! As like earlier, it went over fine with no plugs. but stuck with the plugs in, so i took the plugs out again and put oil in, and held the starter for a little while, lubricating everything. So i put the plugs back in, and it turned over lovely. Sounded like a high squeak though. But ive never had an electric start bike so it is all new to me.. So, me being such an impatient sod :lol: I hooked up the tank and put a little petrol in and it started :shock: 8)

Couple of things though :twisted:, one header (extreme right) was getting really hot and none of the others where. This cylinder was also smoking a bit, could this have anything to do with the oil i put in before hand?

Also, as soon as you put any amount of throttle on, it dies.

And last thing, it smokes a fair bit from the exhaust, again could this be the oil i put in?

Then i ran out of fuel :lol: Do you reckon one of the valves could still be dodgy? I really cant judge alot yet, as i havent cleaned the carbs, connected the air filter, new plugs or anything yet so.. :) Just pleased it started really.

Thanks again guys, Andy

well it runs so theres a start

the oil should have burned off really quick unless you put loads in

the carbs will need taking off and cleaning they will need a really good clean too :)

well it runs so theres a start

the oil should have burned off really quick unless you put loads in

the carbs will need taking off and cleaning they will need a really good clean too :)

Yeah, at least i know its worth going ahead with it now. I did put quite a bit in actually, and the plugs were oily too as originall i only planned to put the oil in and then leave it for a few days but... :P

Im looking forward to doing the carbs actually :), also the air filter wasnt connected so that wouldnt help.

Thanks Stu

Thanks alot, i plan to do this on the weekend as im busy with work all week so, will look forward to it though :)

Now, im still a little worried about the 'stiffness' of the engine. I put the battery back in and tried to turn it over and it was stiff and wouldnt budge, it wnet a little bit and then stopped. Ive found that if you kind of jab the starter button it will free up and turn over freely.

I made a small video to show you what i mean, this was the first attempt at the start, and also my video skills :lol: Ive managed to get it on youtube at last :oops:

You'll notice it starts for a second, i think a bit of fuel must be still left in there somewhere.

What do you think of the sound of it turning over? THis is with plugs and HT's on etc etc. Sorry for the poor quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy9NMVRu4ko

THanks, Andy