Didn't pass the MOT yesterday

EX GASMAN

Bike was booked for it's MOT yesterday, after weeks of wall to wall sunshine it was pissing down. I dug out the wet weather gear and pulled the bike out of the shed, locked the shed put on my lid and gloves pushed the start button and everything went dead. I tried to start it on the kick start and the light came on but nothing else. As I said it was pissing down so I pushed the bike back in the shed and cancelled the MOT.  I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but I think the battery is Donald, I keep it on a maintenance charge so it shouldn't be flat, the bike is 8 years old and  a battery is probably due, unless I'm lucky and it's a loose connection. I should be able to have a look tomorrow, any advice on the best place to get a battery?

• Sad 1

AGM isn't a brand. Its a type.

If this one fits then go for it, you might find it at a lower price with a bit of hunting.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391986998487

Motobatt AGM batteries are fantastic. long service life and as is the case with all AGM batteries, it's sealed. so never needs any kind maintenance (topping up with D/Water) and arrives fully charged. so fit and its ready to ride

Edited by Gerontious
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

AGM isn't a brand. Its a type.

If this one fits then go for it, you might find it at a lower price with a bit of hunting.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391986998487

Motobatt AGM batteries are fantastic. long service life and as is the case with all AGM batteries, it's sealed. so never needs any kind maintenance (topping up with D/Water) and arrives fully charged. so fit and its ready to ride

I thought AGM batteries needed a different charging setting.

Sorry my bad English.  AGM a type advanced glass Matt.

As for brand which ever I recognise as a reasonable brand.

In have fitted AGM to TDM and Trophy no issues to date, with no modifications. I believe they have the same charging.

They don’t need filling on arrival and no Spill if bike ends up on its side.

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, EX GASMAN said:

I thought AGM batteries needed a different charging setting.

No.. they are simply normal Lead/Acid batteries with a very special design feature. they don't need anything different re. charging any more than any other lead/acid.  Aside from very old trickle chargers, which are obsolete so far as AGM and GEL batteries are concerned. Any modern battery charger is just fine. I would go for one of these new smart chargers like an Optimate. or equivalent. Though you shouldn't need one until the winter when/if the bike is off the road for months on end.

The special design feature is the lead plates are pure lead. This wouldn't work in a standard battery as pure lead is too soft and would bend and deform due to the normal vibration, bumps etc of driving. So... each plate is separated by a mat, usually made from something like glass fibre. This is then soaked in an acid gel. The mat stops the lead plates from moving. And because the lead is so pure, the chemistry that goes on inside the battery is a lot more efficient. They also tend to be a little lighter as the lead plates can be a lot thinner than is usual for other battery types.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I got to check today and the battery is Donald I had a problem locating a new battery but I've got one now, it's AGM but it won't be here until after I leave for a short break with the caravan so it will be a week before the bike is back on the road

I picked up the battery this afternoon, I've fitted it and taken the bike for a run,the MOT is booked for tomorrow morning, I have checked the lights tyres and brakes so it should be OK. It was good to get out on it for a short run, I went to Lyndhurst but spun round at the start of the village, solid traffic with too many caravans. 

• Like 2

Oh yes I hide behind that wall!of caravans.  If you want to get into the Forest for a ride my tip is approach Lyndhurst From Ashurst, Filtering is safer.
You can also:

turn off before Ashurst past langdown farm,

go down Marchwood by pass to twigs lane,
Although only 40’s some nice roads down that way…

Safer filtering, generally moving…

AA6378BC-3340-40CA-8DFB-7BB5AF7B9DB7.thumb.jpeg.dbbf2de58adb25ffc68824f80c9efe66.jpeg
Nice riding but 20 minutes of smiles better..,

97E9A9DD-2E81-4A5D-99D1-73A08DD173C5.thumb.jpeg.a87e05de4ffff639de2ba51eacf8495e.jpeg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, EX GASMAN said:

Good news it passed this morning, bad news it's only done 140 miles since the last MOT 

Thats a good excuse to go do a celebratory ride :D 

• Like 2