Vibration

nigelwood1

I have had a vibration on my bike at different revs for some time but recently it has got worse..

It used to start at 2500 and then go away at 3500 and then would appear again at 4500 and go again at 5500...

The one at 4500 seems to effect most ZZR1200's as I have ridden a couple and they both did it...

Last week I went for a ride with my mates and it was much worse... It started to vibrate at 2500 and didn't clear at all...

I was on the M50 and had about 25 miles to do so I took it up to 90 to see if it would clear and it didn't so I went up to 110 and it was still there...

Finally I thought the quicker I get home the better as the other half was suffering badly so I whipped the bike up to 140 and made short work of the 25 miles...

The vibration seems to be most noticeable throught the rear pegs but I get a fair bit through mine as well..

I have a new tyre being fitted on Wednesday as the old one is a bit tired and I have removed the shock linkage and cleaned and re-greased it...

The rear disc warped a while back and that has been changed...

I was thinking it may be the engine mounts....

Any other ideas from anyone????? :?

Mechanically I am unable to help.

But I really doubt that, having established a mechanical fault, thrashing the nuts off it on a motorway would be the recommended course of action!

check your chain tension, this can cause an awful vibration through the footpegs.

If not then check wheel bearings and headstock bearing

also if it hasnt had a service in a while it might bo worth checking the valve clearances a tight valve that is slightly open can cause vibes but not as bad as teeth rattling :?

Getting new tyre fitted tomorrow and then will be checking engine mounts...

Chain and Sprockets were new last year and lubed after every ride....

Next service is the valve clearance check one.... No excessive noise at moment...

Head stock is ok and wheel bearings are going to be changed over winter anyway... Sprocket carrier bearing checked and ok...

Front disc's may be slightly warped but had a couple of stuck bobbins which when freed up seemed to stop any vibration....

Biggest pointer is the fact that if I pull in the clutch the vibration goes away... :?

check chain tension it sounds like its pulling tight with weight on it and causing stress on the output shaft :)

if you didnt know but im guessing you will always check the tension with weight on the bike :)

Got a mate, who used to be a bike mechanic, to check it at one of our rideouts with me and the other half on it and it was ok...

I'm going to check all the engine mounts tomorrow after I refit the back wheel and then take it out and see how she runs....

no harm in checking again :?

seems a bit odd it deffo sounds like a bearing :? just which one is that hard part

if you pull the clutch in and keep some revs on can you still feel it ?

Haven't tried that one yet...

I stripped and cleaned the rear linkage yesterday and it is now full of nice new grease and has no play in it so I have that to test as well as the new tyre...

While I'm checking that lot out I will try the clutch in and revs thing...

The tyre did not turn up today so will have to go tomorrow to get it fitted....

I changed the rear wheel bearings today as I found that one of them was Kaput....

Had a chance to clean it as my mate the tyre man took the old tyre off for me...

Going to check engine mounts once the wheel is back in...

Latest update....

New tyre fitted..

New rear wheel bearings fitted..

Rear linkage stripped, cleaned, re-greased and refitted..

Engine mounts checked and tightened... Lower rear one was a little loose..

Vibration has reduced considerably..

Was only a short ride as tyre was new and it started to rain but it felt better...

Good job I didn't go too far as I forgot to put number plate back on... :roll: DOH!!!

Got to helicoil a fairing mounting point on the frame and put the fairing back on and must try it with the missus on to make sure it is better... :D

• 2 weeks later...