BMW G310R

Squidward

Age related this. I'd had a Kawasaki ER6F for 10 years and was a far better bike than I had expected, not 'fast' but 'quick', riding it no problem but having to man-handle it's weight in the garage etc was getting a bit much so buying something lighter was not an option. A mate of mine turned up at Dinkey's Dinah near Shrewsbury 3 years ago with a Beemer G310R which I didn't know they made which I tried for size then went to Rybrook  in Wolverhampton where they had a pre-registered new one for sale for £3500 instead of £4500, and a 3-year warranty, at that price I couldn't say 'no'. They're made in India by FVS with what appears to be a Rotax engine and weigh 150-odd kg. It's a great little bike, nicely finished, handles well, cruises at 70mph easily, tops out at 90+ apparently, 80+mpg. The only hiccup was the replacement water pump and a modified RH engine cover under warranty no argument. I didn't buy it because it's a BM but because it's light but still physically a 'big' bike, it's quick enough, I can manage it, and it came at a damn' good price and as I'm now 78 it'll probably see me out of bikes........but  you never know.

DSCN2380.JPG

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

I thought the engine was made by BMW and then shipped to the TVS plant in India for final assembly. of course it might be a Rotes design.

I thought that but looking at a certain G310R repair site there's a guy repairing the starter clutch on one and it's VERY Rotax-ish, not simple like pretty much all Japanese bikes but wildly unnecessarily over complicated and held together with a 'garter' spring. The Rotax engines as were fitted to those last MZ and Matchless 'singles plus others have an identical design clutch. I'm not at all sure about BMW's involvement with this model. it could just be that there's just a bloke at the factory gates waving goodbye to 'em.

If very early launch reviews from 2016 are to be believed....

Designed and developed in Germany, but entirely manufactured in India by TVS, BMW’s debut model in the globally booming sub-500cc capacity segment is aimed as an entry-level bike in developed markets in Europe, Australia, Japan and the USA, and as a prestige model in developing markets such as Brazil and Southeast Asia.

Apparently the Bike is not available for sale in India (as BMW does not have a dealer network), but TVS have now produced their own bike that is using the same engine.

tvs-apache-rr-310-right-side13.thumb.jpeg.6027b112fe69821704b430129661858a.jpeg