chaino

handyandy24

Where the hell is the tightest point on the chain, is it usually the top in the middleish. and the play is whatever measurement half of it up half of it down? should the bottom part of the chain slap the protector/whatever it is when i push it up with my hand?

You check the chian between the rear sprocket and the front where you can get to it!

The tightest point is found by rotating the back wheel and when the chain moves the least that is the tightest point.

no

check it on the bottom run of the chain between the two sprockets

you have to turn the wheel and keep checking the chain until the tightest spot is at the bottom

http://atlashonda.com.pk/Images/safety17a.gif

Excellent, so the chain is pretty tight then. Its been so loose i cud lightly put my finger under the bottom bit of the cain and push up it would slap the protector. When i tighten it, it goes closer to the protector, is that right?

just adjusted it again. im finding it hard to find the tightest point altho i def left it in a tighter place than the slackest part.anyway when i try and adjust the chain and tigthen it, it tucks in getting closer to the chain guard on the swingarm or woteva. so wen i do test the freeplay the chain is stopped by the guard. my bike shud have 30-35 mm freeplay so this means half up and half down? because of the protector im avin to gestimate how far the chain wud continue up if the guard wasnt there based on how hard im having to push the chain. anyway gona go out test it c if it makes any noises

To find the tightest point in the chain you need to get the rear wheel off the ground. Once off the ground you slowly rotate the rear wheel checking the chain tension as you go, you may (not always) find that the chain is slightly tighter at one point in the rotation, if you do this is where you measure the chain tension while adjusting.

The reason for this is that if you have a tighter spot, and you adjust at the loose spot, when the chain rotates it will be overtight at the tight point and will cause damage to the output shaft bearing of the gearbox and prematurely wear the chain as well.

i think the chain needs replacing. i loosened it as per the manual, and it was fine for 30 minutes pretty hard riding then the chain started making contact with the protector. im gona av 1 last go try tighten it a tad but then im done. prev owner sprayed it green anyway :S

i think the chain needs replacing. i loosened it as per the manual, and it was fine for 30 minutes pretty hard riding then the chain started making contact with the protector. im gona av 1 last go try tighten it a tad but then im done. prev owner sprayed it green anyway :S

you did do everything back up tight? locknuts on tht adjusters and spindle nut & split/r clip if fitted