Honda CM250

Had bikes for many years (with a family lay off) Bikes i have had are three Hondas 900 DOHC, three Harleys and an assortment of other Hondas, Yamahas and the a 600 Bandit. Sold my Bandit and got the Honda. 

It is in quite good condition for a 1981 bike and had a few small things i wanted to do. Replace little bits that were missing, new chain and sprockets, and a rear tyre.

I have had the bike for about six months and thought it was a bit under powered and not so good at starting from cold, so did a compression test which came back at 125 psi on both cylinders. So i put a little oil into each plug hole put the plugs back and did another test, this came back at 180 PSI. 

So blowby, started to strip the top end of the engine down and two of the cylinder heads bolts would not undo, by this i mean the threads are corroded into the crank cases.

I drilled the heads off the bolts (very carefully) and got the head off. I then found i could not move the barrell's, they are well and truly stuck at the gasket. Have used a  lump of wood as a drift and a club hammer and it still stuck. I have glued a piece of hardwood  onto the end of the drift and will be giving it a clout tomorrow. My mate will also help as i will be putting a 3ft length of wood into the barrel with pistons at BDC and he will give it a sideways leverage.

And i'm 74 if anyone is wondering AKA an ol git!!!

To be continued

• Like 1

Removed the barrels at last, had to get a bit brutal with a small crowbar but they came off ok.

Barrels are well within limits at .04mm at top, middle and bottom.

Rings are worn, there should be gaps should be 0.006 to 0.014, mine are 0.020 thou

Sorry for the mix of mm and imperial.

• 5 months later...

Well six months later the engine has been rebuilt. I had real trouble getting the corroded bolt out, i had to get a guy to come and do it for me (goes against the grain) He had a really great tool to do this, and now so do I.

Have not run it yet as there are other things i need, new plugs, check carb balance, fit correct fuses, household type fitted.

Just hope there are no leaks now.