Harley battery?

AdamNichol

Go to solution Solved by AdamNichol,

Hi folks. Looking for some expertise. I have a 2002 HD softail - efi model 1450cc - which won't start off the battery.

The battery had been plugged into an optimate, which says the battery has 12v charge, but even after an overnight charge it won't reach 14v. If I turn the ignition on with the charger connected, there is no power to the bike. If I remove the charger and turn the ignition on, the bike is likewise dead.

I have a jump start pack, which when connected will bring the ignition to life and the bike will start, but the engine will cut out and all power dies the instant that the jump pack is disconnected from the terminal.

My question: is this the battery not holding charge (despite what the optimate says) and also the efi dying when the jump pack is removed; or is this (also?) a reg/rec issue as a running engine won't sustain itself?

Thanks in advance

I had something similar happen many years ago. unfortunatey Optimates aren't that clever. Mine would say the battery was fully charged but there was no 'power'.  I fixed it with a new battery.

Do you know how old the battery is? is it a lead acid type or has a previous owner replaced it with a Lithium type?

Edited by Gerontious

Many thanks Gerontious. Battery is around 4yr old. I replaced it with Yusa lead free one when the last one died. It's kept on charge mostly, but got unplugged for the lawn mower a week ago...it was also dead after I had to leave the bike with relatives during a house move back in October. Maybe was its last legs

6 minutes ago, AdamNichol said:

Many thanks Gerontious. Battery is around 4yr old. I replaced it with Yusa lead free one when the last one died. It's kept on charge mostly, but got unplugged for the lawn mower a week ago...it was also dead after I had to leave the bike with relatives during a house move back in October. Maybe was its last legs

Definitely sounds like it. although batteries will often last longer than 4 years. sometimes they just lose their oomph. and for no apparent reason.

I personally hold Motobatt branded batteries in very high regard.. if there is one available for your bike. maybe think about getting one. they arrive fully charged and ready to go. try to resist the old fashioned 'wet batteries' - go for sealed.

Edited by Gerontious