Front Fork

softwarez

My front fork (left) (upside down fork) can be pushed really easilly upwards (wheel is off the bike) whereas the other side is really stiff. there seems to be traces of oil on the 'so seemed naffed fork' am i right in guessing it is broke then? lol!

Also, can i fix it by replacing the oil seals etc etc? Cheers.

I'm in two minds if to do this or not... First my thought was "I give everything a go" But... I dont want to think i fixed it.. ride along, take a corner and POOF.... Hmph.. What would you say? I'm not a mechanic, but im very mechanical minded. I.E - Fixed my top end on the bike (full rebuild) and currently working on my car, dropping gearbox and doing clutch etc. (I find it all fine)

Would i be able to handle the fork? or just take it into a shop?

Also - What would be a good lift to buy? so i can take both wheels off (back and front) - Reason is, I'm spraying my wheels. Already done the front (hence finding out the strut is gone!)

Thanks!

get a decent set of paddock stands and youll be fine, where you taking em for powder coating??

get a quote for the fork seal, if its cheap enough get them to do it. You need to make sure the fork seal is seated correctly and the oil level is correct or they will pop again and without the correct oil and amount the damping will be all over the place....some also require special tools...my gixer forks do.

nice one, you can get front paddock stands that fit into the bottom of the steering stem, depends on what yours looks like. If the bike is ridable take it along

Hmm, well, I was thinking of buying one of those bike lifts.. You know? Put it in the middle of the bike and pump it up.. my bike doesn't have a center stand, it should still work, right? Then i was going to take the fork off and take a trip into a shop to get it fixed :)

you shouldn't be able to move the fork that easily even on a small bike!

sound like you might have a broken spring or some retaining part. send them off for repair. there is a web site called pitted forks. can't send the URL as the spam filter keeps telling me off!!!

if you've lost the fok oil you'll also need to have the fork stantion checked. is it pitted or rusty?

as for stands, i use a rear padock stand and a steering head front stand. this allows you to take the forks out. front padock stands need the forks to lift the front end. you could also use a rear padock stand and a couple of carefully placed axle stands under the engine.

In response to some posts:

It is a Cagiva Planet 125.

I hope it is just the oil seals... I cant be bothered with more labor work on fixing internals.. ugh... :(

I guess I will see soon though..

Cheers.

Edit: Also, these are the forks: Front: Upside-Down telescopic hydraulic fork (legs ø 40mm)