Newbie Bike Sale Question

Dru_MT

Hello, 

Wondering if you guys could help, my father-in-law suffered a stroke, meaning his bike riding days are no more and I'm trying to help the family sell his motorbike.

He owns a Harley Davidson: Heritage Soft Tail Classic HD (2010) in Black/Silver (I think thats the correct spec).

This thing is in absolutely incredible condition and has a mileage of 26k, it's been truly cherished for the last 13 years, garaged, and only taken out in decent weather conditions. I've had a look at a couple of forums and classified to try and land at a price point but there are not many equivalent bikes to compare. I'm also not sure where the best place to advertise is, is MCN/Autotrader the best bet? 

I obviously want to get the best possible deal for the bike, but this is also a great opportunity to acquire a bike that is in amazing condition. Any advice? I may head over to the local Harley-Davidson dealer and ask for their opinion also.

Thanks 

Your best bet would be ring a few Harley dealers and get their advice for a price and look on all the bike selling sites ebay, Autotrader and MCN. A lot of Harleys are individual or customised in some way so that can add detract from the base price. If you get talking to dealers if they are interested send them loads of pictures or spec they may even want to buy it. If you sell it privately DO NOT give address details or info where the bike is garaged to anyone you do not know if they want to view unfortunatly there are scum out there who will want to view check out the location then nick the bike on another day. Do not let anyone test ride the bike without handing you the selling price in cash before riding it and you want to see proof they have insurance. Do not let buyers see or photograph the V5c reg document especially the referance number as this can then be used to apply for a V5c in their name once they have nicked it later. If the bike is currently insured the moment you sell it cancel the policy as it has been known for the new owner not to have insurance and to crash the bike then the third party claim on the previous owners insurance.

If you want to take the hassle and the strain out of selling the bike ring round a load of dealers for that style of bike and see what they would offer. Play one of against the other you wont get as much but bikes gone and one thing less for the family to worry about.

I know this sounds a bit pessimistic but its better to be wise to the scams and scum out there these days.

Good luck for your father in law on the stroke recovery road.

• Like 4