First Tour - what’s required?

lukesft

Hey there,

just put a deposit down on my first bike - 2013 xj6 diversion f. Bloody excited to get out on it and plan on getting a lot of miles in this summer, including a trip to Spain.

any advice on what I’ll need in terms of kit would be greatly appreciated. How far to go in terms of toolkit, compressor etc. hi vis I know is a requirement for Europe and saw something about reflectors on helmets? Not sure how true/relevant much of it is other than the vest.

the bike has got full luggage and will probably add a tank bag. So fair bit of room. 

Also best portable locks? Thinking chain and disc with alarm

and best ear plugs struggling to find ones that are any good just been using disposable construction ones?

any help would be great,

seems to be quite a lot to consider .

cheers 

52D96539-9C52-493B-B46E-E8B17A1DBE75.png

1F1C96F9-C7CD-4E91-92C1-5E963B2F5621.png

• Like 1

Reflectors on helmets is a French regulation and only applicable to helmets bought in France. Visitors don't need them.

Minimum is a bulb kit. spare headlight. (dip) brake and indicator bulbs. plus the tools needed to fit them. This is mainly to avoid problems. if your headlamp is off, you will get stopped if seen by a copper and they will more than likely just tell you off. if the bulb has blown then they will again let you off if you change it there and then. its a very low risk, but a few bulbs doesnt take up much space.

HiViz must be worn if you break down the the Motorway.

You don't need to go mad on security unless you are staying in inner cities. out in the back of beyond your bike will be fine. just park it out of sight of a main road. basic precautions. disc lock is all you need. (I don't even bother with that)

Are you camping or chasing beds?

means to charge your phone. proper sat nav is always my recommendation over using a phone to navigate. a second hand unit isn't expensive.

Ear plugs.. there are all sorts. maybe try a variety pack and see which suits you

Tyre compressor and repair kit will definitely save you time. but its usually the case, sods law says if you have it you wont need it.

European rescue.. if you get this included with your insurance that's great. Travel insurance that includes bikes try - Navigator.

Europe friendly credit card. I have a Halifax Clarity. and a Nationwide. mostly for fuel. unmanned petrol stations in France are evil towards debit cards.,

Theres actually not a lot to consider.. its fairly straightforward. though it always looks far more intimidating than it actually is - the first time.

its great once you are over there though.

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

Tank bags are great for handy things like wallets, documents etc. I can also fit a small compressor in mine. The puncture repair kit sits under the seat with a screwdriver (multiple head attachments), allen keys, gaffer tape, zip ties etc. We tend to leave the top box empty for helmets, spare capacity and better weight distribution.

We're planning on doing France this year, not about to slap reflective stickers all over helmets.

9 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

We're planning on doing France this year, not about to slap reflective stickers all over helmets.

You don't need to. But, do investigate the Crit Air. which you might need. if you intend on visiting the cities that demand them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Tank bags are great for handy things like wallets, documents etc. I can also fit a small compressor in mine. The puncture repair kit sits under the seat with a screwdriver (multiple head attachments), allen keys, gaffer tape, zip ties etc. We tend to leave the top box empty for helmets, spare capacity and better weight distribution.

Okay great to know thanks! What’s the specific tank bag you use?

16 minutes ago, lukesft said:

Okay great to know thanks! What’s the specific tank bag you use?

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/650605

I went with the Tanklock system. You need a £15 ring on the tank, then any of the Tanklock bags will fit. It more or less just drops into place and clicks in. There's a red tab to pull underneath to release.

I would also take some spare fuses, esp a main fuse just in case. Oh and I got the main fuse for my yam from euro car parts for a few quid not the twenty odd quid that yamaha dealership quote.

This is the compressor I carry, https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/wheels-mudguards-huggers/rocky-creek-12v-tyre-inflator/ quite small but powerful and fits under the saddle. I also bought the tyre gauge that goes inline with it, https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/wheels-mudguards-huggers/rocky-creek-tyre-gauge-dial-type-with-two-chucks/.

Hope this helps.

I have my own spreadsheet checklist which works for me. I originally based it on the checklist from a website of some guys I went to Andorra with some years ago. I note they haven’t kept it totally up to date but it remains a good start point. 

For hi vis (France) I have a waterproof jacket that is also hi vis, so saving packing space. Im’m not sure if they exist any more but I would guess you could buy something similar from somewhere like Screwfix 🤷

Checklist

There are regulations governing the hiviz you must wear. Oftentimes a hiviz motorcycle jacket will not comply unless it’s an ex police (for example) any workman’s vest will do and can fit in a pocket. I only mention this because I’ve seen reports of people getting instant fines for not wearing compliant gear. Never underestimate the police. We’re not the only ones with shiny buttons.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

There are regulations governing the hiviz you must wear. Oftentimes a hiviz motorcycle jacket will not comply unless it’s an ex police (for example) any workman’s vest will do and can fit in a pocket. I only mention this because I’ve seen reports of people getting instant fines for not wearing compliant gear. Never underestimate the police. We’re not the only ones with shiny buttons.

Good point.

I’ve had a mo’ to see what the required standard is and how to tell. I think the attached image provides the information. 

From this site Link

Now to check my odds and sods draw which has a couple of ex-plod hi-vis items in it.

523AF3FC-8D47-4127-B753-D0830B0EBD50.jpeg