New rider at 40, tips

Whitton2023

Hi everyone.

I appreciate there probably a million of these posts…

I’m brand new to riding at the ripe old age of 40…not any kind of mid life crisis

I’m doing my CBT on the 9th of next month and picking up my new Honda CB125R ten days later.

Just wondered if anyone had an tips for me… you know, ones they wish they’d been told when they first started.

Also I need all the gear to go with it so if anyone has any really good suggestions that won’t further break the bank for shoes, jackets, helmets etc I’d really appreciate it.

Anyway thanks in advance.

David

No-one told me I had to oil the chain every 300 miles and clean it every 1000.

For kit, secondhand stuff on ebay is great (except sizing can be hard). Lid must be new, though; go to decent shop and they will fit one for you.

7 hours ago, bonio said:

No-one told me I had to oil the chain every 300 miles and clean it every 1000.

For kit, secondhand stuff on ebay is great (except sizing can be hard). Lid must be new, though; go to decent shop and they will fit one for you.

Thanks for the advice

Car park figure 8 practicing 15 mins every time you go out on your bike, your be amazed how much you learn about your bike ( clutch , throttle brake etc) and will give you more confidence when pulling out in junctions etc . 

• Like 3

Ride for the slide - make sure your kit is protective .. road rash.. broken legs are not nice! 

Take it slow.. and don't kick yourself if you find it tough (I'm still working on that one) 

I did something similar, dreaming a bike for as long as i can remember. Bought my first one just before turning 40! 

Ride with care, car drivers can't see us (you know that virus, people in a metal box can't see shit:-). Some of them are a menace on the road..

Love your ride, take care of her, keep it clean to avoid rust and long term stuck bolts! Those bloody basterds..

The more you ride, the more reliable it gets.

• 1 month later...

JandS accessories does good and cheap stuff, sports bike shop direct does good stuff.

Assume you are invisible to every other road user and pedestrian even if they are looking at you in the eyes.

fit in helmet and clothes is first poirity! Flashy  and fancy specs are at the bottom.

pinlock for your visor is good, it it rains or cold days stops misting the visor!

Look where you want to go and toull end up there, dont be target fixation.

Dont be harassed by car drivers just cos they see the Lplate,. stick to the middle of the lane and dont be shying off to the kerb ur a fellow road user and have the right to be on that road too.

125 are quicker than u think...from your car driver past youll try to keep to the lower end of the rev range (3000rpm) 125s just idel at 1800rpm cos youll think as a driver not a biker, the 125 will only start waking up at 6-8000rpm let alone feel on cam!!

keep checking tyre pressures at least every few weeks, bikes are sensitivto them unlike cars.

Youll have more of the road to make use of, less wasteful box taking up all the space in the lane,so ull feel abit more exposed.

Later on when ur comfortable in riding feel smug when u filter past boxes and angry van drivers. There are rules to it but your learning license experience (instructors and examiner ) will not teach you these.

This is more advanced stuff but good to keep in mind when u get used to biking.

On Straight roads of your lane keep middle of it, on left turn's and corners keep to the three quarters on the right side of your lane (closer to the middle painted line) and on the right turns keep to the three quarters of the left side of the lane (closer to the curb). 

slow into the corners, quicker out of the corners.

look at far as you can and Chase the vanishing point.