New Motorcycle Shaped Object..

Meanwhile, despite shennanigans with the pesky parts stealing pixies, I got the autolube pump finished and installed into the case.
I was looking forward to this part of the build, dunno why, but there is always some task you envision doing right from the start.  I guess it does not signify the end, but it does the beginning of the end.

Pump with innards exposed waiting for new seals.  Job was half done when I remembered to take a pic, hence some parts clean and shiny and others a bit on the grungy side. 
All it needed in the way of attention other than cleaning was the plunger polishing with 1200 grit.  Nothing broken or worn out, but the 40 odd year old oil had dried and hardened into an odd blue coloured grease like Putoline bearing grease.

File Attachment:

Found the missing end seal I searched so hard for this morning.  It was hiding in plain sight all along, albeit in a different place and different packaging.
Pump built, min pump stroke shimmed to 20 thou ( edit- checked the good book and I need to remove 10 thou). I thought I remembered 20 thou, but it is .20mm.
It had minus clearance to start, someone back in the day had managed to lose the thick shim washer.

Now back in the case ready for action.

File Attachment:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I received my orders from Fowlers. Everything but the joint.

Oh well, I did not harbour great hopes on that one. The price was obviously years out of date. So I ordered the 3A3 joint which is pretty much identical, just cost double.

At least it has free shipping.

As for the rest, the airfilter did indeed have a new cage inside. An idiot on ebay is advertising a new cage, listed as unavailable for £35. It is unavailable because Yamaha now supply it as part of the airfilter....

D- to the seller. Needs to do his homework.

As an aside, having unwrapped the filter and looked at my hands.. The filter is pre oiled as I remember the RT100 ones being. Happy days.

Got my clutch, maybe it will be running this weekend. Or not. Imshallah.

• Like 1

It is one of those days.  A litany of ill fitting aftermarket gasket sets, one size fits all models cables that fit nothing and assorted BS. After a sulk I resumed work on it.

OEM DT100D cable not available of course, but a look at the RT100 fiche revealed an identical looking cable to the old one.  Identical ends, adjusters and external spring heat shield.
An expensive gamble at £35, but even after extensive cleaning and lubing, the original still feels gritty and has quite an internal bind somewhere inside.

I am reasonably confident the RT cable will be the same, probably just dark olive adjusters instead of bright zinc colour.

I got the clutch built and clutch arm adjusted to 53mm as per the good book, removed the garbage cable in disgust and packed it up ready to go back.  It is a £10 cable costing me £3.50 postage to return.
Normally I would not bother in view of the postage, I would mutter some dark epithet and slink off into my lair,  but the garbage supplied for this bike is off the scale.  Feck em, they are refunding me and getting a neg feedback for the postage costs.

Every single cable ordered has turned out to be " multifit" on arrival and of course has been too long in every case.

Throttle cable.  Too long and too much travel for the adjusters.  Ended up joining a variety of different model year OEM cables together to make one that worked and looked as if it was original.
Front brake cable ditto.  Major problems.  
Speedo cable ditto.  Stupid long.  Found a NOS aftermarket one in the end.
And now clutch..

Then we have had the aftermarket seal fiascos.  From the fork seals to the crank seals.

The aftermarket motorcycle part industry in the UK was once reliable, but now it is in a parlous state.  The elephant in the room is that once upon a time, aftermarket parts were sourced from Japan.  Now they come from China.  The land of the second rate knockoff.

The second speedo cable was a very old stock, dusty packaging, aftermarket item made in Japan.  Compared next to the old one, it was identical in every respect.  Chinese one a full six inches too long to accomodate the bigger bikes.

So we have the clutch cover on and and off again to trim the aftermarket gasket to size... One size fits all...

And back on.  Oil pipes connected up to tank, autolube cable adjusted and carb and looking to replenish the fluids.

Dog dish ready to catch the oil from the pump bleed hole.  Just look at the state of the clutch cover gasket.  That is from a Vertex set.  Once a decent quality brand, now a repacker of cheap chinese knockoff tat.  I thought I was buying quality.

File Attachment:

Oil tank filled and pump duly bled.  The comment the seller made when he handed over the pump with the bike is now very apparent.

File Attachment:

" I removed the pump and have been running it on premix because the pump is leaking like a b##tard".

I thought it was the missing end seal that was the cause of the leak and that was now cured.  Oh no.

A bit of conjecture... It seems that sometime in the past, someone pulled the pump off and the shaft end shim stayed in the pump.  On refitting, it fell horizontal and as they screwed the pump down, it pushed at the end of the shaft housing, cracking it. 

File Attachment:

It drips like a good un.  It is not too bad a probem though.  A bit of Belzona putty will put it right.  Still need to remove the pump and clean the crack up though.

I have had enough crap today.  Time to walk away.

Drips from hairline crack in shaft end housing.  Never spotted it, but then again I was not looking for it.

File Attachment:
Edited by Tinkicker
  • Like 2

If it sometimes seems you are looking in on one side of a conversation, that is because you are. 

I am just copying and pasting my contributions from a site that deals specifically with old Yamaha enduros and leaving out the other side of the conversation.  That's why sometimes I may be seeming to ask a question only an expert on these bikes can possibly know.....

Continued on.  Some progress, some setbacks.

Cracked pump was stoppered with JB Weld putty.  The much thinner JB Weld two pack might have been better and looked neater, but it was what I could get my hands on at short notice.k

A veritable carbuncle stuck on it.  But if it works...

File Attachment:

The 3A3 joint arrived and has duly been fitted.  If there is any difference, it may be very slightly bigger as it wanted to push the carb across on the inlet stub by a few milimeters.  Probably just the old one that had shrunk.

Airbox fitted with new airfilter and cage inside.

File Attachment:

Transmission filled with oil and kickstart loosely fitted on the splines.  Time to check for spark at plug.

Nothing.  Where did it go?  It was a runner. 
When I fitted the stator, I gave the contacts a good rub up as the dip in the sink would have distributed oil suspended in the cleaning water across the faces.
They were working fine when I set the timing.

Plugged my pocket tester into the black wire at the main connector block and the needle was deflecting as the points opened and closed, so they are still working.
I was getting a reading of 18 ohms when they were closed and off the scale when they flicked open.  I guess this is the condenser I am reading.  Is this about right?

Checked the coil primary and secondary windings.  Both spot on.

Ran a positive from the battery directly to the coil and " flicked" it.  It gave a very feeble and intermittent spark.

Looked at the HT side of the coil.  Hmm.  The HT lead was rock hard and manipulating it to put on the plug cap must have completely cracked the insulation apart.  It was only the core holding it together.

I am betting the wire inside is broken.  Certainly needs a new coil to start with.   Is this type of coil the type where you can screw a new piece of ht lead into it, or is it the sealed type?

File Attachment:
Edited by Tinkicker
  • Like 1

Well bike has been sat two days with a drip tray underneath.  There is a thumbnail sized pool of blue oil in it...

Pump is still leaking.. Not much, but a single drip a day is too much.  I hate oil leaks.  

Plan B.  I should have done this first.  It is how I would have approached it if I saw the crack before putting it back together.
I have knocked all the epoxy putty off and removed the pump.  It will be taken to work, the inners removed and the casing thoroughly degreased. 
I have a bottle of thin viscosity superglue in my toolbox (useful for sticking flaps of skin back down when I lose a battle with a big bit of steel).  I aim to rid the hairline crack of any trace of oil and fill it with superglue to seal it.  I will then use a thin skin of epoxy putty or maybe even clearcoat applied by brush over the top to protect the cya from any future moisture.

If that fails, I will have to buy a secondhand pump for the casing and fit my innards into it.

It appears we have reached that depressing point in the build.  The small stuff. 
Rarely do the big lumps give problems.  You fly through those whistling a merry tune.
It is the small stuff. 
The carb, the coil, various small rubber parts that are after close scrutiny, perishing and need replacing.  Not forgetting the bodges and feckups by previous owners.  That special rubber grommet, spacer and bolt that was lost 40 years ago and replaced by a rusty roof bolt, square nut and repair washer sourced from a coffee can full of rusty widgets sat on a 1970s garage shelf.

That carb with the stripped thread.  The replacement carb that will in all probability piss fuel out of the overflow on the first attempt to fill it.
The coil with the hard as a rock HT lead.  The cheap unbranded points.  New electrical gremlins that were working before..  The oil pump... The wrongly described and supplied aftermarket cables.  Parts no longer available mean expensive gambles have to be taken sourcing genuine parts from other models that look the same.

At least nothing has been found to have been secured by woodscrews or bent nails on this build.. Yet.

We will overcome... 

• Like 3

Crack duly filled with several coats of superglue till it stopped wicking in to the crack,  excess wire brushed off outside of pump and about a 2mm layer of 2 part epoxy resin applied over crack to stabilise it and protect the cyo from moisture.

Pump refitted and bled.  48 hours later and we have no sign of leaks.  I will not be comfortable with it though until it has survived several hours of running.

Next is replacing the cheap points with the Daiichi set and trying the 175 coil to see if we get a spark.  Then I will fit the tank and open the fuel tap waiting for the gusher out of the carb overflow.

The most distressing part at the moment is the fact that the blob of body snot on the rear fender keeps waving and shouting"Yoohoo, I am still here, I am still waiting to be sanded down and reshaped.  I am not going anywhere.  You cannot ignore me forever".

• Like 1

Fitted the 175 coil to the bike and flicked it with current from battery positive.  We have spark and a nice tick noise when the plug fires.  Happy with that.
Reordered the exact same coil again for the 175.  Happy with its performance on the 175.

Plugged in the black and white to the coil, ignition on and kicked it over.  No spark.

Unplugged main multiplug and ran a wire directly from the black stator wire to the coil.  Kicked it over.  Nothing.
Almost certainly the problem is down in the stator.

Double checked the ignition and kill switches by checking connectivity across the black and white wire and ground.

Engine multiplug disconnected, ignition on, killswitch to run.  No connectivity between black/ white and ground.

File Attachment:

Ignition off or ignition on and killswitch to stop and we have connectivity.  It is not the switches.

File Attachment:

Ignition on, killswitch to run, multiplug reconnected.  Connectivity to ground.  I think the cheapo points are shorting to ground.  I guess they did not enjoy their little bath in the sink.

Before I start to fit the new Daiichi points and time the spark, I need a good tidy up.  It is like a hoarders junk pile in there.  I hate it when you have to concentrate more on stuff going on around you than the job you are trying to do.

• Like 2

New points checked against old.  A bit of research gleaned a bit of info that despite having different part numbers, the points were interchangeable between the DT100 and the FS1.  A bit more gleaned the info that the FS1 part number fitted everything from the TY80 to the TY175.  We have the same points between many models, often with different part numbers. 
Armed with a few part numbers, I went ferreting about on ebay.  I had a hit on a set of Daiichi points listed for a Honda C70 step through but with a Yam part number on the box.
Likely because a step thru is far less "sexy" than a two stroke enduro, and not being a likely candidate for a restoration, they had not had the NOS " premium " added on to the price.
So there you have it, more leads to go on.  

£5.39 delivered to my door vs £12 for a set of unspecified make from aftermarket.  Just because the pic showed points with a Daiichi trademark, the description did not specify the make they would send.  Probably chinese tat like the ones I removed.

Honda C70 and DT100 points are the same.  It pays to do ones homework.  I love ferreting around.  It is part of the fun.
cheap on top, Daiichi on bottom.  I appear to have clipped the bottom of the pic.  The heel was identical in size and angle.

File Attachment:

Cleaned the preservative off the point faces, tested them for good contact, fitted them and did my due diligence testing before setting everything up.  Hmm.  Black wire was grounded whether points were open or closed.  Disconnect condenser wire and put probe in its place. Points breaking contact.

The condenser has an internal short.  I snipped the wires to test.  It does not hold a charge.  

So there we have it.  Bad cap.  It explains the odd readings I was getting.

Rattling around the house with three dogs. It is home alone weekend.

The missus has gone to London for the weekend with her coven of witches to see Mama Mia in the west end. I pity London... A full coach of cackling women descending on it.

Anyhows, I digress. It seems like a two step forward and two step back kind of day.

A new Daiichi cap has been ordered and the ignition is on hold.

Meanwhile, the  genuine Yam RT100 clutch cable has arrived. It fitted like a glove, unlike the chinese garbage the aftermarket boys tried to sell me.

Confirmed. RT100 clutch cable. Part Number 3M1-26335-10 is a direct replacement for the marked as no longer available DT100D, 1T9 cable that fits DT100 1977 - 1983.

File Attachment:
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thread is about a week behind so I will attempt to bring it up to date.

Soldered the condenser leads to the stator wire and to the flag terminal that goes to the points.  Refitted the stator and put on the rotor finger tight. Set the points gap by mk1 mod 1 eyeball and checked they were opening and fully closing.

Kicked the motor over.... Nothing.

Had a quick look around.  Put the killswitch to run ( it is a rotary with two outer stop positions and run in the middle) 
Slapped myself around the head a little for being a dick and kicked it over.

Beautiful big fat blue white spark.  Yey!

Because the conservatory is cold, cramped and with very little room to work in, that was enough of a result to call it a day.
I can only stand it an hour at a time in there, kneeling on cold floor tiles with typical heavy equipment engineer issued knees.  They need a good greasing, but unfortunately did not come equipped with grease fittings.  Sealed units and the grease within old, dry and contaminated with debris. 
No choice but to creakily stand up,  slowly get them moving again and get the hell out of there.

I will set the timing and button everything back up tomorrow.

• Like 1

I had a final check behind the stator to ensure that none of the wires would be rubbing against the rotor or trapped.  Spent a very frustrating half hour on my knees timing the ignition and fighting with screwdriver against magnet.  Got the points opening at 1.85mm btdc, close enough for me, and nipped the rotor nut up.
Final check to make sure the points were opening and closing.

Plugged the stator harness back in and final check for spark. 

File Attachment:

Spark has vanished and I have no idea why.  I wil look tomorrow, my knees hurt and I am out of patience.

The other task I set for today was to fit the chain.

Ordered the chain specifically for the DT100.  102 links.
Idiot aftermarket supplier thought it was ok to send one with 110 links...

File Attachment:

says 110L right there on the box.

Luckily I still have my professional Whale chain cutters sets from my motorcycle techie days, so it was a two minute job to cut it to size, took longer to dig them out of storage; but many customers will not have access to chaincutters.  The aftermarket vendor has no excuse.

Those Whales have seen a LOT of chain cutting and rivetting action.

File Attachment:

And chain fitted.  It says 110 links right there on the box....  

File Attachment:
  • Like 1

Stopped sulking and went to have another look at the spark.  Kicked it over, nothing.  Put a cloth over the plug to shade it and wiggled the plug to ensure a good ground against a head bolt.

Kick.  We have spark after all!  Plug must have jiggled a bit and the ground was lost.  It is very temperamental getting a good ground with all the fresh paint.  Plug must be HARD up against a head bolt.  

I put a couple of drops of premix down the plug hole and screwed down the plug.

Ignition on and kick.  She popped off immediately for a half a second.  Yippee.

Encouraged I loosely plonked on the fuel tank, cut a fuel hose and put the tap on reserve, watching the float chamber overflow tube closely.  No drips.
Nah, never happens.  I suspiciously pull off the fuel hose to see if it is getting fuel.  It was.

Well I never.  I finally had a bit of luck.

So, as a tribute to Derek from vice grip garage, a few drops of premix straight down the carb throat for good measure, waaaaay too much.  Perfect.
Choke on, ignition on and kick...

Second kick and away she goes!  Yippee.

Making smoke and generator rotor doing rotary things.

File Attachment:

First check, set throttle stop screw to allow a fast tickover.

Second.  Does the clutch work and do we have five in the box?  It does and we do.

Third, pull off the oil line, pull back the pulley to get max pump stroke,  get it bled, get the measuring cylinder under the end of the oil injection pipe and count 200 pump strokes.  Do we have the required 5ml? 

We do have the 5ml.  Pump is good.  Still no sign of oil leaks or bad check valve.  I can fill her up with normal fuel now.

File Attachment:
  • Like 4

Wiring routed and clipped.  Airbox refitted, chainguard refitted, chain tensioned, gear lever fitted, generator and sprocket covers back on.
Tank back on.  Disappointngly, there is no room between fuel tap and carb to fit an inline filter.  I ordered the smallest paper centered one I could find, but sadly no room even for that.

Set carb airscrew to.2 turns out as per spec, but it would not run.  It would fire and run for a second or so before cutting out.
Turned it in by a half turn and it runs like a champ.

Checked clutch action.  Just fine and even neutral is easy to find once the engine warmed up. A bit recalcitrant until then.
I suspect when the frictions bed in, it will be fine.

Had it idling for around half an hour had did a few more tests.

Horn does not work.  Not looked into it yet.  I have AC voltage up to the headlamp terminals and the instrument lights work.

Thats about it for now. Another requires my attention.
 Need to fire up the VFR and get her thoroughly warmed up.  They are famously warm blooded and hate cold weather.  The need to keep fresh fuel in the carbs is critical.  Once the fuel starts losing freshness, you are in a world of pain.  The cold starting circuit is extremely lean and is barely adequate even if run daily in cold weather.
She will fire on one, number two will chime in and allow it to run without starter assistance.
It can be a couple of minutes until three and four decide to put in an appearance.  Touch the throttle or choke at all until then at your peril.

Instrument illumination lights up, we have main beam lit and the low oil light goes out when in gear as it should.

53357110749_bb93407eec_h.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
We appear to have gotten a page or two behind the original thread again. Not missed much though. It is all about the thing not wanting to start......

Well. The bike continues to make a Chimpanzee out of me.

Got the kickstart blasted, painted and refitted during the week, put the oil pump cover back on and gave it a kick over.

Conservatory temp around minus 1c. It fired and ran for a second, then cut. Kick, kick, it fired for a second, then cut.
Rinse and repeat for five minutes before abandoning the bike to its freezing cold fate.

Time for a ponder. It ran fine for over half an hour last time it ran.... All I have done is fit a cover and a kickstart. The kickstart was fitted previously and has no bearing on the issue. The oil pump cover is not an issue...

What has gone wrong....?

Ponder 1. It is getting fuel but losing spark. But new plug, points and condenser fitted. Timed up. Running just fine with no hint of a problem before.

Ponder 2. It has spark but is not getting fuel. A check of the plug showed wet with fuel.

So number 1. I fitted the rotor and tightened it with the tools I had available at the time. My home tools are a motley collection of old cast offs and bargain basket buys.
I have tools valued in the tens of thousands of pounds at work and this makes for little enthusiasm for buying good tools for home use. They are completely inadequate for anything but the simplest tasks which is why many of the tasks are done at work during lunchtime.

So has the rotor come loose and sheared the crank key? It would account for the symptoms.
I finally remembered to bring home my sheave holder and removed the rotor. Nut was tight and key intact.
At least with the correct tools, now I KNOW the rotor is fitted correctly. Points were opening and closing as they should.

I dried off the plug with a blowtorch and refitted it, managing to leave a shiny smooth spot on my fingertips as I removed my fingerprints on the getting ever hotter ceramic as I did so. Great.

Kick. Start, run for a second, die. Buggerynation.

Carb? With no reliable source of float height info, I just made sure the float arms were straight. Was the starter circuit not dipping into the fuel? Just as I was contemplating pulling the carb, I spied a brand new plug, loosely screwed into the head of the 175 to keep moisture out until.I replace the piston.

It can't be the plug because it is brand new. However, it is only a couple of seconds to try.

Fitted the new plug loosely and off she popped on the second kick. Feck it, faulty plug. It is not the first of the batch I bought. I reckon three out of five used failed. That is in around 200 miles.

I buy my plugs from reputable places like amazon, but there are a lot of chinese knockoffs out there. I am viewing this packet of plugs I have with considerable suspicion now. If they are knockoffs, could they have contributed to my 175 demise?

I will refrain from commenting on what I would like to do to chinese knockoff artists with no regard to the end user. It would not be pleasant reading.

We jump forward a page. It may be odd reading at times because there are a lot of contributors comments that I am not including because I do not have permission to do so. The other thread is currently running at over 18 pages.
If I include any material from this site on other forums I do the same. Only copy and paste my own contributions. To do anything different would not be fair to the other contributors.

May be a little out of context....

>>>>Just ordered a couple of Denso W24es-u plugs to try. I have no faith in those NGKs anymore.

Happily, same plug in both DTs.

Went to try the 100 again. Seems the new plug has gone the same way as the previous one. One easy start and warm up to operating temp run, allow to go cold, then the same 1 second run shennanigans.

We have air. We have fuel. We have spark and fire with brand shiny new plug. We have intermittent or no spark with a heat cycled plug....

Well.  Here I am.  The one armed paper hanger...

To cut a long story short.  Smacking the gear carrier pins out of the reduction hub of a kessler axle on monday.
They are TIGHT and flush to the outside of the hub so you need a short drift to get them moving.

I found an old two inch diameter drain plug.  Perfect.  Proceded to swing the 16lb hammer and on the third pin, the drift proceded to fly out at great speed,  hit my right hand before flying across the workshop.
Hospital says poss hairline fracture but because of the swelling they could not be sure as xray was not clear enough.

Minutes before it happened i was moaning and groaning because I have man flu and was feeling sorry for myself.

So now right paw in a brace, two fingers taped together... And man flu.. 

File Attachment:

Have I ever mentioned my luck?

Anyway I took the opportunity to do a little lefty, one handed work on the 100.  Checked spark with new denso plug.  Fat spark.  Checked it with the old NGK.  Fatter spark.  Presumably because the denso has the U electrode that lets the spark grow inside.

Kicked bike over. Ran briefly but stopped.  Plug wet.  Crankcases flooded?  Dried plug, kicked bike over with  fuel off and plug out, but no real sign of flooding.

Plug in.  Ran for a second but stopped.  Plug still dry.  Could it be the starter circuit?

Removed airfilter and dribbed a little brake cleaner down the carb throat.  Kicked and she popped off second kick. Set a fast idle.

Ran it for five minutes and turned off the fuel to scour the crankcases and combustion chamber clean of any excess fuel.
Yup, rpms rose as she went lean and carb emptied.

Fuel on and tried again.  Second kick and she was away, sounding crisp off the throttle.  I ran the carb dry again to preclude any flooding issues and will resume tomorrow when she is cold.

Also checked fuel tap to make sure it shut off and opened correctly.  It did.  I did not want it allowing the crankcases to slowly flood overnight if faulty.

So we have always had a fat spark at the right time.
We have always had air.
We have always had fuel.
We have had no running from cold with heat cycled plug.... But it should.
once running it sounds crisp off the throttle and has a nice smooth idle.

I am thinking either cold start plunger or fuel lost just enough zing for a reliable winter cold start, but it came from a sealed container.
Around 50% of the fuel content in the tank was premix at 32:1 and the oil pump is conected.  It does white smoke quite heavily, but I recall RT100s being similar heavy smokers until the exhaust got hot.

Any other ideas?  It is plain weird. I know for a fact the reeds are in very good condition and the crank seals are new genuine.  The problem is not mechanical.

Bad hand is a bloody nuisance.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hand a bit better this morning.  Kept brace off last night and probaby rolled around on it during the night.  Must have been rolled back into the correct position.  Hurty but moves.  I can use it lightly.  Don't think it is broken after all.
Time to see if the bike would start.

Choke on, ignition on.  Kick.    Nothing but a feeble fart then nothing.

I resolved to brace myself today for a little more stringent outing in the freezing conservatory than my usual of late, run in, kick, swap the plug, get it running and retreat asap until the next test tactic.

Found the original carb and traced through the enrichment circuit inlet tube in the float bowl right to the plunger housing.
I got out my trusty welding torch cleaners and ascertained I could not clean out the drillings in their entirity.  Too many dog legs blocked off by ballbearings.  It had several 90 degree bends.

Removed the choke plunger and got a length of windscreen washer tubing to blow down the plunger orifice to see if I could feel air coming out the inlet tube.  I could.

All righty.  So if i did the same on the bike carb I should hear bubbles and the bowl vents venting air.

Removed plunger and blew down the plunger orifice.  No restriction evident.  Same as the other carb and air was coming out the vent tube.  No bubbles though, does this mean the float height is too low? 
Another thing to worry about and add to the mix.  My head is akin to a bingo machine full of floats, carbs, jets, sparkplugs, points and coils all whirling around and intermixing like a madmans kaleidoscope.
Which is going to pop out next?

Before I refitted the plunger I gave it a good polish with some grey scotchbrite and a good squirt of GT85.

Pull out plunger, fuel on, ignition on.  Kick.  Away she went first kick.
To coin a phrase from Dereck at VGG.  " Well I'll be dipped". 

I have absolutely no idea what I did, but whatever it was, it seems to have worked.  I will try again tomorrow to see if it is cured, or is still toying with me.  No point in hiring the mariachi band until then.

I guess I can take those poor, maligned NGK plugs out of my conservatory bin bag now.  They are probably still good.

• Like 1

Well it starts. Not as crisply as I would have liked, but it runs. It sputtered and died on the first few kicks, gradually getting a little better each time. By maybe the 5th or 6th kick she was running. After that, she is first kick reliable.

I don't suppose that is too bad considering the winter temps.

We turn to the headlamp. Does a conventional 5 and 3/4" car sealed beam fit in the headlight rim?

Reason I ask is because a retailer is selling 5 3/4" sealed beam direct replacements intended for classic cars and comes fitted with a 6v Halogen bulb for a 3 pin H4 type connector. I guess this means I do not have to tamper with the original connector and the light will be brighter.

Alternatively I can just buy an aftermarket reflector and american prefocus 35/35 bulb holder suitable for DT175MX. I know the headlamp bucket is the same on both bikes but I will have to rewire the connector.
Obviously the sealed beam replacement is the preferred option. Monetarily, there is very little difference between the two options.

I have a new 300 x 16 Kenda K262 rear tyre and new tube coming from Germany. It was oddly cheaper to buy from a German retailer and pay for shipping than it was to spend more time trying to source one in the UK.

Depending on the state of my hand, I may wait till the holidays to fit it. That makes the rear end complete.

I have ordered the front tyre and tube also, along with new rim tapes front and rear. I made the decision to swap out the wheelbearings while I have the wheel out. Nothing wrong with the originals, but no point having one set of old bearings when every other one is new.

That rear fender is still taunting me...

Outstanding items are the tyres, headlamp as mentioned, exhaust outlet ( still available from yamaha), a set of indicators, the annoying fender, a pair of mirrors and she is pretty much complete. The tailamp is ready to bolt straight back on the fender.

• Like 1

Well.  Since I hurt my hand, apart from attending to one handed stuff, I have been pretty stuffed where work on the bike goes.
Saw the quack yesterday and he advises I may be good for light duties next week.  Light duties in my job? Yeah ok.

Anyway, I can use a screwdriver without too much discomfort now, saw I thought I would have half an hour on the bike.

The lay up has meant I have had a lot of time to stare at it and ponder.... Why does it start once OK, run fine, then refuse to run more than a second the next time.

One of those problems that strongly pointed to a malfunction on any of the systems.  Fuel, air, spark or compression.

Carb was cleaned, all passageways and jets I could get into scrubbed and it had a half hour in the ultrasound bath, then everything checked by blowing through.
Ignition system is all new quality aftermarket with a fat spark.
I know know it is not an issue with the plug after trying 3 or 4 with the same result.
Dropping fuel into the carb or cylinder resulted in a strong start.
I strongly suspected a weak condition from cold.  I knew the pilot jet was not plugged because it runs ok when warmed up a few seconds.
This meant the enrichment circuit.  After stripping the plunger out and blowing down the plunger drilling  into the float bowl, it started on second kick and picked up strongly within seconds . Yippee
Time after and subsequently attempts since, it once again became difficult to start.  Why!

Now able to at least hold a screwdriver in one hand and steady a part in the other, I could look a bit deeper.

I think God loves a tryer because by jove, I think I found the answer.

Strongly suspecting the float level because I do not have reliable info , I thought it may be too low causing the weakness.  I never head of it affecting the starter circuit though, but everything else checked out.  I had already ensured the starter circuit drillings to the plunger was clear.

I removed the carb with a bit of difficulty, very little room around the carb area to get in on the 100.  Airbox has to be removed because it surrounds the carb on one side, and exhaust is very close on the other.  To remove the airbox, the chainguard has to come off.  A bit more work than my hand needed, but best foot forward.

I pulled off the floatbowl and looked down the starter jet.  Nothing.  I blew down it.  Nothing blocked.  I poked a torch nozzle cleaner into the starter jet tube intake.  It was clear.  Hmm why start, then cut after a second..

Ping. If there was some loose debris or fluff in there, in between the tiny intake to the tube and the bottom of the tiny jet, it may allow fuel into the tube, and on kicking the bike over, float up to the underside of the jet, partially blocking it.
The bike starts, quickly uses the fuel above the jet and cuts.

To cut a long story short, I swapped the float bowl from my other carb to try.

Tank back on, fuel on.  Ignition on.  First kick.  Light off and an extremely strong start indeed. Better than it has ever done.

I will retest tomorrw to see if I cured it or not, then button everything back up.

• Like 2

Well I gave it just over an hour to cool down to ambient again after its previous 10 second run.

Airbox back on, tank on and try again.  Once again,  first kick and an extremely confident start.  I will button everything else up tomorrow.

I think what probably happened is there was scale inside the starter jet tube between the jet and the inlet.  The ultrasound cleaner likely knocked a flake loose off the wall.  This flake was too big to escape from either end and was just floating loosely around and kept getting dragged into the starter jet.

All the other symptoms were incidental, just to add a bit of confusion to the proceedings.

The tormentor twins.  Both have presented me with some very puzzling challenges during their refurbishments.  Stuff that seemed straightforward at first that ended with some very surprising solutions.  Camera lens fogging due to how cold it is in there.

File Attachment:

Just waiting for the headlamp and tyres to arrive.  The inner tubes are safely here as is one of the rim tapes.  The second rim tape arrived in not so peaceful a manner.
Unfortunately as I came out of the conservatory after the first start, feelling smug, I was made aware of the fact that the postie had called and dropped the post on the doormat, by way of the wolfhound pup trotting over and happily presenting me with a brand new, but very chewed up rim tape.
Further investigation revealed a torn up credit card bill and a parcel containing the wire W clips for retaining the headlamp in place with the end almost ripped out.

Give me strength....

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Success.  Tried again this morning.  First kick and she is away.  Oodathoughtit.  A sodding float bowl change cured it.

Edited by Tinkicker
  • Like 4

New tyres arrived but given the state if the hand, I dare not try fit them. I think that may be a step too far for it.
Job stopped again.

At least it starts first kick everytime now.

New rubber to replace the 46 year old tyres. It is odd to think that if the orginal kid was a 15 year old when he had the bike, he is well into his 60s now. Grown up, had a family and probably grandkids.

Tempus fugit.

53395360890_304e3997e2_h.jpg

• Like 2

Tyres have arrived safely, but hurty paw means I dare not try change them yet. I see a lot of cursing and sweaty hair this xmas...

File Attachment:

I finished ordering all of the outstanding parts and unless I hit any more serious snags,, my initial deadline of a Xmas completion will be met.

Then I board another vexing merry go round with the holy piston. 

File Attachment:

Ordered a brand new RT100 exhaust baffle in the end. Someone in the UK was offering a complete rear silencer with baffle for just shy of £70 inc shipping. Silencer hanging bracket was broken off.

New baffle from Fowlers was £79. For £9, it was not worth risking finding the locating thread on the baffle stripped and it welded into the silencer.

A bloke in the US has a used baffle for DT100 and is asking £98 plus £30 shipping. 

File Attachment:

Jog on matey.

One outstanding part I cannot find is the little plastic thumb toggle and screw for the indicator switch.  I will probably buy a used switch to rob it from. Lots of yamahas from the 70s and 80s had the same toggle.  Really vexing thing is that the 175 came with a cracked left hand switch complete with switch toggles.  At the end of the resto, I threw all the unserviceable bits in the bin.

So.. i can now add up all the costs.

Total costs.

Bike cost £900.
Transporting the bike home £0.00.  A mate from work helped me pick it up in his works van.
Parts and consumables cost £991.53p.
I will add a fudge factor of £100 for any unforseen future costs such as faulty flasher can ect and cost of VJMC age certification for registering it for the road.

Estimated budget was £900 so not too far out.

So a restored, basically mechanically as new DT100 just cost me £1991.53p which is probably around its actual retail value.

• Like 4

Hurty hand be damned...

Woke up this morning, hand is much improved and since I work Mon to Thurs, today is part of my weekend off.
I would not try anything too challenging with my hand during the working week, that would be disrespecting my boss, but now it is the weeekend and feeling better, I will "have a go". Still not up to swinging sledgehammers and wielding 1" drive air wrenches even so. Still, back on monday and only four days to work before the xmas break.

Need to get those tyres fitted and out of the way. I have to admit, since the gloomy winter weather hit, it has become more of a chore than a pleasure doing anything to the bike in that conservatory and I have to force myself to progress it.

It needs to be done around xmas time, because as spring appproaches, much of my spare time will be spent making and keeping the house and gardens presentable.

So looking at the bike, sipping my morning strength coffee and flexing my hand I made a decision. I would try removing the front wheel to see how my hand coped.
It coped well enough. Sooo I figured I would try change both the tyres and give up if it was too much. Should only take an hour for the pair.....
Off with the front tyre, out with the old bearings, fit new bearings, rim tape tyre and tube. Hand coped but it was pushing it.
Being a stubborn and determined SOB, proceeded to remove the rear wheel and tyre. Fit new and put both wheels back in the bike.

An hour? What a twonk. It took two and a quarter hours....
I know I am far from what I used to be, but that was a surprise.

When I had done, sweat was dripping off the end of my nose and my clothes were wet through. I thought about having a rest and a coffee to gather my strength but a wolfhound nose sniffing all parts of my body with great and delighted interest made me realise it was time to hit the shower before anything else.
A moment of panic in the shower room. I could not get my sweatshirt and t shirt off, they were stuck to my back. I got them moving a couple of seconds before I was about to start ripping them off in panic.

To think, in my 30s, an instructor would bring a bike down to the workshop from the park with a puncture. I would replace the tube and the bike would be back in the customers hands in 15 minutes.

Oh for the halcyon days of youth....

Bike sporting new tyres. All the hard work is done. Just waiting for the rest of the parts to arrive. It is all small stuff now, rear brake pedal and rod, indicators, headlight ect.
Oh and that damnable rear fender that needs the body clag shaping and repainting.

Sorry for the pic being blurry. Pic taken as soon as wheels were both back in and buttoned up. My hand holding the phone was shaking uncontrollably and I could not stop it. It has calmed down from its panic now though. I guess I pushed it far too hard...

53399157306_700865bca8_h.jpg
  • Like 6

RT100 exhaust outlet arrived.  Pic with part number for those wondering...

File Attachment:

And as expected, fitted like the proverbial glove.  Not surprising, the 1990s RT100 is basically exactly the same bike as the 1977 to 1984 DT100.  The parts diagram pic of the DT baffle looked identical to the RT and they carry the same part number. 

Oddly to order it as the DT baffle, I have to order from the Netherlands. 

If I want the same part with the same part number from the UK without international shipping costs, I have to order it as a RT100 part.  Go figure...

Cannot say it did much to quieten it, but it did mellow out the crackle.

Happy to note, bike fired up first kick again after been left undisturbed for a couple of days.

File Attachment:
Edited by Tinkicker
  • Like 2