Yamaha YBR 125 2013 - speedometer and rev meter not working

Waalloweegee

I replaced my old dash with a new one maybe 2 or 3 months ago and I feel like it's unlikely that would have gone wrong so quickly.

Basically the problem is that past 50mph, the dial doesn't change.

The rev meter on this bike has always been dodgy. When i first bought it from a friend, the rev meter on the old dash would never go below 6000, but it could go higher.

Now the needle on the rev meter barely moves. It barely goes over around 3000, when i'm going 70 in the highest gear it just stays at 0, and would move much more between 0 and 30mph

I could live with this because I just go by the engine sound for revs, but now the speedo's going as well I can see I need to sort these issues out because now once I go past 50mph, the dial stays at 50mph, and I don't want a speeding ticket.

I have a bad feeling the fact that it's such a new dashboard going wrong means the internal wiring it plugs into in the bike is at fault, and simply replacing the dash wouldn't work.

Any ideas? Advice? I know very little about this stuff

Hope you can help :)

• 3 weeks later...

Dont know the bike directly but thinks to check.

if its a old school mechanical cable-
If its a wheel speed sensor wire not in the correct placement or broken internally going to either the clock or wheel that can do it, if the cable is routed slightly differently to the manufacturer way can do it. its hub that is mounted to the front wheel hub thats blinding or damaged.

If its electrical version then the wires, the speed sensor pick up or its ring is not working or in correct place. That will either be at the wheel or at the output shaft.

If the clocks rev or speed dont work its a mot failer.

Edited by RideWithStyles