Best route to full licence

Gw74

29 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

You options are restricted, A2 bike and endure that for a few years. not slow nor crap if you get the right bike even with a lower top power cap, torque is friend so Stick to twin cylinder engines. 

I was thinking to just get a 125cc then get used to that before going for an a2 bike or should I wait to get my a2 licence and go straight to an a2 bike and if so any recommendations?

Go straight for A2. nothing wrong with them, we had a young lad come to Germany with us a few years ago. he had only just passed his A2 and came with us on a CB500R.(I believe) and there was no way you would have known it was restricted. No problems on the  motorways through France and Belgium and no issues whatsoever for the 5 days we were there.

The only reason to go for a 125 is money. but, do bear in mind you will need to keep it for a full year at least so that when you do move up, you will have that years worth of No Claims, which will have a significant effect on the insurance for your next bike.

If you get a 125 and then get fed up with it within the first year and decide to go for the A2. it will cost you a hell of a lot more than just going for the A2 now.. or as soon as you can.  125. plus insurance. then new bike plus new insurance. it will add up.

so think carefully.

Edited by Gerontious

56 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Go straight for A2. nothing wrong with them, we had a young lad come to Germany with us a few years ago. he had only just passed his A2 and came with us on a CB500R.(I believe) and there was no way you would have known it was restricted. No problems on the  motorways through France and Belgium and no issues whatsoever for the 5 days we were there.

The only reason to go for a 125 is money. but, do bear in mind you will need to keep it for a full year at least so that when you do move up, you will have that years worth of No Claims, which will have a significant effect on the insurance for your next bike.

If you get a 125 and then get fed up with it within the first year and decide to go for the A2. it will cost you a hell of a lot more than just going for the A2 now.. or as soon as you can.  125. plus insurance. then new bike plus new insurance. it will add up.

so think carefully.

Thanks for the reply, so as I have only automatic experience, once I pass my theory I saw rideto.com offers a 16 hr introduction course for new riders like me to get used to gears, then after that I could take the 40 hr course which includes the training and the tests for an a2 licence. Then I can put money towards an a2 bike and insurance?

As Gero said: see what works out cheaper and better for you, as a golden rule less you have to keep changing bikes the cheaper.

125 are generally cheaper to buy and run but they are (used) a mixed lottery of what condition and history a bike has.

autos restrict so really if you want scooters, just go the A2 license.

Wifey has 125 manual with 8bhp, after sorting gearing 70 on a flat is easy,

my old bike was an A2 manual with 46bhp 110 easy with loads to spare at short stock gearing.

125 autos are easy to ride and quick off the mark but not as great hitting higher speeds unless your gonna be using it in the city below 50 alot they are less adept.

and a2 bike on auto will be better.

Edited by RideWithStyles

23 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

As Gero said: see what works out cheaper and better for you, as a golden rule less you have to keep changing bikes the cheaper.

125 are generally cheaper to buy and run but they are (used) a mixed lottery of what condition and history a bike has.

autos restrict so really if you want scooters, just go the A2 license.

Wifey has 125 manual with 8bhp, after sorting gearing 70 on a flat is easy,

my old bike was an A2 manual with 46bhp 110 easy with loads to spare at short stock gearing.

125 autos are easy to ride and quick off the mark but not as great hitting higher speeds unless your gonna be using it in the city below 50 alot they are less adept.

and a2 bike on auto will be better.

Yeah I don't think I'll be getting a 125 sounds like a better idea to just train up for the a2 and get that 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Yes also your age will particularly help dictate... no rush to aim for higher. 
i spent over 4 years on a 46hp 500 after jumping off a 150hp 1000 of over three years And was more than happy with it.

Yeah my main query was whether to bother with getting a 125cc but don't want to have to deal with insuring it just to have to sell it buy another and insure another so will just take train and take courses for A2 licence and get an a2 bike