Gasket blue alternative

slugworth1987

hey all need an idea on what i can use instead of gasket blue sealent as i dont have any and just finshed work...

This is a bit late but my old man used to use a cardboard box cut to shape. Mind you he had a fix like this for most things

get a propper gasket

dont use paste/sealant as some can be squeesed inside the engine and break off into the oil and clog up oil filters and oil ways causing massive damage :)

true , but lots of parts of a full engine build require gasket paste, such as gsxr crankcase halves

get a propper gasket

dont use paste/sealant as some can be squeesed inside the engine and break off into the oil and clog up oil filters and oil ways causing massive damage :)

true , but lots of parts of a full engine build require gasket paste, such as gsxr crankcase halves

yeah i know but a lot of people dont know how to apply it propperly they just think the more the better :?

and usually its a proper sealant rather then just any old crap out of halfrauds :?

im sure you will know where im coming from :)

If you need to create gaskets with little effort, tip is to but some anaerobic gasket solution.

Basically its a goo that when sandwiched between two bits of engine, goes all firm and fibrous, creating a gasket(anaerobic, cos it goes hard when it gets no air!!)

Ducati use a bright orange one on their engine side casings(excellent stuff) and I believe Wurth make one, known in the trade as kermit spunk as its green.

As long as there is o need for a gasket for a particular clearance, then both of these work very well. A proper gasket is good, but anaerobic sealant is sooooo easy.(not cheap mind you) And please dont just use some orrible old gasket cement from the local motor factor, its not good practice.

RTV (room temperature vulcanising) silicon sealant will go off if left in a little heap in fresh air. Anaerobic doesnt. It remains liquid until precluded from air, hence its expensive I guess. It then goes a bit rubbery and a bit fibrous(a bit like gasket material)

RTV it isnt.

Duke engine cases are fitted with the stuff, as are gixers if they are in my garage!!

we use alot of RTV on aircraft (light lens sealing etc) but doesnt last long under moister (inclding oil) or agesnt MEK and other products cant see it making a good gasket for a long term solution... maybe im wrong lol but in my experiance a RTV seal lasts around 100-300 air hours then cracks and goes hard