Triumph Motorcycles. back in the day.

Thought this might interest some of you. Having a root around I came across a price list dated 10th of May 1993!!

A time when Triumph only made 8 bikes. 8!!  All made in the original Hinkley factory.

To make it easier - here are the models and prices (inc VAT)

Trident 750 £5,499

Trident 900 £6,099

Sprint £6.699

Tiger £6,549

Trophy 900 £6,999

Trophy 1200 £7,599

Daytona 900 £7,449

Daytona 1200 £8,149

I bought the cheapest, a year later, my very first 'new' bike... kept it for a couple of years and it looked exactly like this.

Triumph-Trident-750-7.thumb.jpg.8f9af88113ed255a2b9e8692481f02ad.jpg

The List.

IMG_1740.thumb.JPG.17fc99a5cb5cb23a7964300303aa4077.JPG

• Like 3

When I was kid, my nearest motorcycle dealer (there were so many in the 80's) was a Triumph dealer.

I used to stare at the Tigers through the window, but never had the bottle to go in and see the bikes, just because I was only 12 (ish).

That's a lovely looking Trident, and of course, wouldn't look out of place now, especially when there are so many retro looking machines being built.

Given '93 was over thirty years ago and a Trident was going to cost you £5,499 and the new Trident 660 cost £7,895 it shows just how manufacturing cost / Far East procurement  etc have come down. According to the Bank of England inflation calculator, £5,499 in '93 is equivalent to £11,264 now.

1 hour ago, Capt Sisko said:

Given '93 was over thirty years ago and a Trident was going to cost you £5,499 and the new Trident 660 cost £7,895 it shows just how manufacturing cost / Far East procurement  etc have come down. According to the Bank of England inflation calculator, £5,499 in '93 is equivalent to £11,264 now.

They were expensive at the time. But, exclusively produced in this country and it was another 7 years before Triumph made a profit. In 2020 manufacturing ended at Hinckley - aside from assembly of factory specials and prototypes. One factory in 1993. Six in 2024. The more bikes you can produce the lower the cost. Is almost £12,000 actually high for a 750cc Bike made in the UK? It’s impossible to know. Because none are.