Rear Wheel spinning

Bill_on_a_bike

Started the bike today, bike was on its centre stand with the rear wheel off the ground. When I started the engine, in neutral, the rear wheel began to spin. So i stopped it spinning with the back brake, but it span again once i released the brake. So I put the bike in first with the clutch in, hit the back brake and the wheel didn't spin anymore.

Is this normal? Are there further tests I should do?

Yeah I suspected it could be my clutch dying which is why I tried it in gear and stuff.

All I can think, and someone tell me if this is stupid, but with almost no resistance, is it possible for the free spinning on the input shaft to have enough friction to cause this "drag" ?

more than likely as said clutch drag has it been sat for a while and cold start ( first start ? ) as the oil will be thick and causes the drag on the plates once its warmed up it will be fine and as you found out that a load against it soon warms the plates up so the oil warms up as well

Get it on the stand and go through the gears see how fast you can get to stood still lol

I saw 140 on the cbr!

I know it dont help but then again i dont know :lol:

Sadly my speedo drive is on the front wheel lol.

It doesn't really jerk when it's in gear and spinning, i think it does if i rev it up a bit.

I'll have a feel for clutch drag when i'm riding.

Yeah no i'd never put oil back in to an engine, it only needs 1ltr my ickle bike it's not worth it.

My concern is getting the spring bolts back on to correct torque (don't have a torque wrench might be worth investing).

Then my other worry is adjusting the push rod / cable back so that it disengages and engages properly.

think whats in the engine dude, crankshaft spinning pretty quick, turning the clutch assembly which in turn spins the input shaft in the gearbox.

Now that is covered in oil, so although its in neutral, there is still some drag, so its gears try to turn in speed with the shaft, so spinning the gears on the output shaft, thus spinning the sprocket, and therefore the rear wheel.

Its quite normal, bikes do it, a car ticking over on a lift will have the tyres rotating slowly, no problems at all Bill.

Rolla

As the guys said - stop thinking about changing clutches and don't worry :)

Bike is fine - they all do it. You'll notice once the bike warms up, oil thins, wheel slows down or stops turning.

It's the same theory that makes viscous coupling/ torque converters work.