Fast indicators...

red

Driving me batty..

.. When you start the bike the indicators flash at a standard rate.

When on the move (rpm.. or battery charge related?)..

.. the indicators have a mind of their own, they flash as if a bulb is out but all are ok.

.. If you slow back down after about 2 minutes it settles and goes back to a regular flash rate!!?

The indicators were on it when I got it but I think they have halogen bulbs rather than the standard ones (indicators are slightly smaller than OEM)

Do you have any ideas? I was thinking about a relay to slow it down like used when you have LEDs but then I figure it's going to be too slow at slower speeds?

Thanks for any ideas!

I'm guessing they are the plug type.. my thinking is.. when stationary the bulbs are getting enough current not to show a problem. But when the bike is vibrating one of them has a poor connection, just enough for a bulb to flash faster....Would be the cheapest fix anyhow. Heres hoping it's that simple for ya!!

Thanks guys!

Well i recently found out that my alternator makes a horrid noise and hence is being replaced.

If by some coincidence that fixes the indicators then great, if not I will be checking the connections and will keep you updated :D

sounds to me like an over voltage/amp this could be caused bu either Relay OR your regulator... like with LEDs they draw less current so a new rlay is required but if the current increases alot the relay will work quicker due to more power. so to me i would say start with the cheap option... get a multimeter and test the power coming from the regulator you will have to work this out your self from a book or internet

:D I think i've fixed this over the weekend.

To locate the problem I turned the indicators on the vibrated the stalks.

Problem located in the front nearside, as soon as I vibrated it the flash pattern became irregular.

Took it apart and the bulb seemed to sit well in the holder.

Looked at the wiring..

This was the problem for sure. The live wire had been badly sheathed and there was a definitely a chance of it shorting against the spring in the bulb holder. Added to that that the earth wire was only loosely attached I don't think it had much chance.

I put some electrical tape over the bare metal between sheathing and then re-attached the ground using a shockingly bad soldering iron.

Once put back together it seems to be working as it should so I think I cracked it :-)

Cheers for the prompts.