Ride to the Wall 2 - 10th October

cruz

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staf ... 300693.stm

Bikers pay respects to the fallen

Organisers said more than 5,000 bikers attended the event

Hundreds of motorcyclists have paid their respects to fallen soldiers at a special ceremony in Staffordshire.

Bikers involved in the second annual Ride To The Wall (RTTW) went from Drayton Manor, near Tamworth, to the National Memorial Arboretum in Alrewas.

Andrew Baud, from the Royal British Legion, said people from across the UK were taking part in the event.

"Everybody can be a biker. We have journalists joining us and we have got members of clergy joining us," he said.

Mr Baud added: "We have got riders coming from as far afield as northern Scotland and the tip of Cornwall."

The event was set up by Martin Dickinson last year as a way to remember armed forces personnel who have been killed since World War II and to raise cash for the arboretum.

Organisers said more than 5,000 bikers went to the arboretum for the event.

'Strongly supported'

Dozens of veterans with military medals pinned on to their riding leathers and a major general in uniform were among those at a service of remembrance.

The event raised money for the 150-acre arboretum

Major General Lamont Kirkland, who had ridden his Harley-Davidson from his base in Aldershot, Hampshire, to Alrewas, said he expected the event would grow further.

"I think what you have seen today is the start of something really big - this will grow over time," he said.

"It's deeply emotional and it's deeply poignant - bikers are deeply respectful people.

"It shows we are supported very strongly at home and that the Army has never been held in higher regard."

Mr Dickinson said last year the response to RTTW was "beyond anything I could have ever dreamed of" with an estimated 2,500 motorcyclists taking part.

Last year's event raised more than £10,000 for the 150-acre National Memorial Arboretum.

I'm back, 11 hours and well worth it great turn out, weather was brill. Nice to see forumites again and to finally meet Cruz.

Cold and thick fog going to Sheepys in the morning but once the sun came up and the Bacon and Egg butties came out the day got better by the minute.

Thanks for feeding us Sheepy even though i didnt get to see you in full leathers boots and a pinney

What a day makes you proud to be a biker recomend this day to everyone i will be putiing it in me diary for next year

me too, after failing miserably this year next year has to be done...

No idea where my last post disappeared to, PC problems this end I think!

Suffice to say, Del and I had a amazing day! It was great to welcome so many of you to ours yesterday morning, and we'll definately be doing something very similar (probably on a much bigger scale) next year.

What a day!

Apologies for disappearing early though, needed drugs wich were at home!

Sheepy and Del

Fantastic day.

Picked bike up Fri afternoon

Rolled out of garage sat morning to find rear tyre flat - footpump out, tyre up, footpump in topbox just in case.

Arrived at Drayton Manor and bike stalls, then not enough power to restart (apparently having the heated grips on full, spot lights on and the tomtom on while doing lots of stop start riding is not the best idea). Massive thank to my 2 cousins who helped to bump start the bike.

Still managed to make it in time for the full run, what a great day.