Do any of you guys have iridium/tinted visors?

Because when I was thinking of getting a bike I was hoping of getting one, and then I found out they where illegal?

Then on the way home in the car the other day I saw like 4 guys with them,

Do any of you have them? and if so are the cops very strict on it?

Others will answer this more fully but as you know it is technically and actually illegal why would you want to stick two fingers up at the plod?

They could spoil a nice day's rideout for you and others, and you'd have brought it on yourself.

Have a look here mate... Their is a little bit about them..

http://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15767

I have one and never had problems....

Like it says in that topic.... Get caught doing something really really stupid, give a copper attitude, or use it in the dark and you are probably going to get done for it...

Lastly, always carry a clear one.... Just in case.

Of course somedays you just meet a copper in a bad mood and no matter what you will get a fine....

Arh, cheers.

I just googled it as well and a few places said your aloud a 50% one during the day, and they said you should carry a clear one as well.

I think I may get one if there not too expensive but probably not for a while... I hate not having money!

Although... I'm not sure if my helmets visors are as easily changed as most helmets because its and off-road helmet(Which as you more than likely know generally just have goggles)

And it kind of goes up into the peak.

The law is something like up to 40% tinting is legal or somesuch. In practise, lots of people wear dark illegal visors, but you take your chances at getting stopped for breakin' tha LAW. If you do decide to get one, it is practical to carry your clear one with you too in case you need it. This is one of those things that if you choose wear an illegal visor AND choose to fit a small illegal number plate AND choose to have a loud illegal can AND etc., etc. you are asking for whatever you get.

Personsonally I think having a tinted visor on hand is practical and safe if used wisely and is well worth any legal risk. Just don't complain if you choose to wear one and get fined. :D

As you can see in my avitar picture i allways ride with one on my lid . However i allways carry a clear one with me in a visor pal around my waist . not only for when the sun goes down ,but to apease the police officers that pull me about it . showing them that i can change it right away usually is enuff to keep them happy . I did get a £30 fine 4/5 years ago , but i didnt have my clear one with me . i forgot to pick it up off the kitchen table on my way out Gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !

Recently bought a dark and gold mirrored visor.

Wore the dark on Sunday and passed many cop cars who didn't stop me.

I was carrying a clear one as well.

My neighbour was wearing an iridium one, and when we came up to cop cars he flipped his visor up :lol:

Recently bought a dark and gold mirrored visor.

Wore the dark on Sunday and passed many cop cars who didn't stop me.

I was carrying a clear one as well.

My neighbour was wearing an iridium one, and when we came up to cop cars he flipped his visor up :lol:

ratser the traffic police down here dont mind dark visors but they are not to keen on iridium or mirrored ones for some strange reason :wink: just a little tip for the next time you come down this way :wink:

Thanks Daz, will keep it in mind. :thumb:

I have clear, light and dark smoke. Also recently started to use an amber pinlock which, although it improves contrast in low light, seems to be better than without after dark, much better when you get that oncoming car on a country road blindness.

For your dark visor, it's a risk you take. If you're pulled over for a routine check, or specifically to be given advice about wearing one, you'll probably be ok. You're more likely to get pulled nearing dusk, and likely to get booked if you're not carrying a clear visor. For a bit of an insight as to how the fuzz regard this issue, you could worse than reading this post http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25142

You can buy a visor bag/pouch for less the £8.00 to keep your spare in, and they're not particularly intrusive. I have on made by Oxford... Wouldn't recommed as unless you're a fatty, as they don't seem to adjust small enough (unless they do different sizes, but that didn't seem to be an option) and mine recently fell off in the carpark at work without me realizing, this was down to the clip fastener not being particularly secure, which I was very disappointed with, I was carrying dark smoke visor £35 Race Pinlock fitted £18, and spare clear pinlock £16, so would expect better considering the value of the contents that can be carried in one of these.

I have clear, light and dark smoke. Also recently started to use an amber pinlock which, although it improves contrast in low light, seems to be better than without after dark, much better when you get that oncoming car on a country road blindness.

For your dark visor, it's a risk you take. If you're pulled over for a routine check, or specifically to be given advice about wearing one, you'll probably be ok. You're more likely to get pulled nearing dusk, and likely to get booked if you're not carrying a clear visor. For a bit of an insight as to how the fuzz regard this issue, you could worse than reading this post http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25142

You can buy a visor bag/pouch for less the £8.00 to keep your spare in, and they're not particularly intrusive. I have on made by Oxford... Wouldn't recommed as unless you're a fatty, as they don't seem to adjust small enough (unless they do different sizes, but that didn't seem to be an option) and mine recently fell off in the carpark at work without me realizing, this was down to the clip fastener not being particularly secure, which I was very disappointed with, I was carrying dark smoke visor £35 Race Pinlock fitted £18, and spare clear pinlock £16, so would expect better considering the value of the contents that can be carried in one of these.

Cheers for all this helpful information but I my clear visor would be in my drawstring bag or backpack because I'm gonna have to have it on most of the time I'm riding anyway.

I'll go read that other post now :D

Yeah I definettly want a tinted visor, but have you seen any of these helmets before?

http://www.chasesuperbikecentre.co.uk/i ... cts_id=211

I'm not sure if it will be easy to change?

And most of the tinted visors I have seen online where about £30, where did you get yours?

google is your friend!

http://shop.demonwebvisors.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_12_15&products_id=35

Yeah I definettly want a tinted visor, but have you seen any of these helmets before?

And most of the tinted visors I have seen online where about £30, where did you get yours?

google is your friend!

http://shop.demonwebvisors.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_12_15&products_id=35

Indeed it is, I hadn't actually looked for any for my helmet yet. That's not what I was saying, I was saying I didn't know if it would be easy to change or not, like if I got pulled for it.

google is your friend!

Indeed it is, I hadn't actually looked for any for my helmet yet. That's not what I was saying, I was saying I didn't know if it would be easy to change or not, like if I got pulled for it.

o sorry mate i didnt really read it properly i think it will be harder than most helmets, my mates got the shoei version and has to unscrew a bit to change it i think!

Can you get prescription glasses on under a full-face helmet? I have a light prescription that I need to wear for driving, and recently had some nice prescription shades made for me, they have the iridium lenses, not too dark - is it OK to wear something like that under a helmet visor?

No way I can do contacts :crybaby:

yes you can wear glasses under a helmet some find it uncomfortable though

as for the shades that is fine too as long as they are not the only pair of glasses you have with you if you need to wear glasses whilst riding ( night time etc )

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to correct you Tim but you arent right on that.

The law is a bit weird. The visor has to conform to regulations but anything else doesnt. So if you have an MX lid you can have black iridium goggles and wear them at midnight and its still not an offense. Its not an offense to wear dark glasses on a bike or in the car at night either.

Where you would come unstuck is if you had an accident as these could be brought up as contributory factors...you could end up getting done for due care or even dangerous driving.