Knocking? noise, stops when on centre stand - NOW FIXED!!

choppedminx

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help. I have just bought my first bike, a Suzuki GSX600F 1989.

It rides all ok, appears to be no problem with anything.

There's just this funny noise, that I can only describe as a knocking from the engine area, I am quite mechanically minded, and have stripped and rebuilt many a car engine, from 4 cyl up to yank V8's - but this is my first 'go' at a motorbike!!

The noise sounds a bit like a big-end rattle, but higher than I would have thought (but then, I am used to car engines!)

- The weird thing is, it makes the noise when I am sat on the bike, or when on side stand (with cut-out immobilised), but as soon as I put it on the centre stand it goes completely :shock:

I have checked, and adjusted the valve clearances, checked for anything loose, but found nothing. Also, the oil light goes out immediately the starter is turning, so I would not think oil pressure was a problem.

It does seem to be an engine noise, but I can't figure how it stops on Centre stand?

Any ideas? this is driving me crazy

Edited by choppedminx

Guest philgale

depends what sort of noise it is......the most common knocking sound is the chain being too loose

i have no idea about engines :lol: 9/10 its the most common cause....

Is the centre stand in contact with anything directly (apart from the pivot point!). It could be a rubber bush that prevents the stand legs coming into contact with the engine, swinging arm or engine has come adrift.

Is the centre stand in contact with anything directly (apart from the pivot point!). It could be a rubber bush that prevents the stand legs coming into contact with the engine, swinging arm or engine has come adrift.

Not that I can see, have had a look with a torch, and there seems to be nothing like that.

As an idea, I agree with with Bill.

This doesn't however, explain why it stops when on the centre stand. :scratch:

You say it still makes this noise when you are on the bike... I am assuming the bike is upright at this point? Like it is on the centre stand?

Does it still make this noise when revs are increased? Or does this noise increase in frequency? suggesting a moving part.....

My suzuki also had a noise like you are describing.... ignoring it worked for me!!! I remember a thread similar to this a little while back.. a quick google found a lot of people describing similar experiences.. If memory serves me correctly... It wasn't a 'problem' more a 'characteristic'...... I think it was cam tensioners....... worth checking, assuming you haven't already..

You say it still makes this noise when you are on the bike... I am assuming the bike is upright at this point? Like it is on the centre stand?

Does it still make this noise when revs are increased? Or does this noise increase in frequency? suggesting a moving part.....

quote]

It makes noise when upright on centrestand, or on sidestand. It increases when revved slightly.

I will try tommorow on a makeshift paddock stand if I get time, to try and elimininate the centrestand.

quote]

It makes noise when upright on centrestand, or on sidestand. It increases when revved slightly.

I will try tommorow on a makeshift paddock stand if I get time, to try and elimininate the centrestand.

trysitting on bike and holding the centre stand down with your foot or someone else doing that so it is not in contact with the engne/frame/exhaust

Baffles in the exhaust are not loose ? i know it sounds unlikely all i am thinking ofo things that can cause a rattle .....

good luck with it

quote]

trysitting on bike and holding the centre stand down with your foot or someone else doing that so it is not in contact with the engne/frame/exhaust

Baffles in the exhaust are not loose ? i know it sounds unlikely all i am thinking ofo things that can cause a rattle .....

good luck with it

The noise is there until the bike is fully on the centre stand.

I have posted the sound on YouTube, have a listen -

[youtubeuk]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=m7vZGTo9pVw[/youtubeuk]

Edited by choppedminx

good luck with your problem,

I'm such a short arse i had problems with putting my kick/sidestand down, came up with this method of folding left footpeg up with the side of my foot, then using toe end to push all the way out. :lol: :cheers:

Bloody odd that.

Says to me it IS the stand causing the problem though.

I am sure you have checked that the stand is not bouncing against anything?

Have you checked where the spring from the centre stand goes to whilst it is up?

Something is fouling against something somewhere, and I'd be surprised if it isn't linked to the stand. The noise is too loud (to me) to be engine related. If it was I'm sure it would've blown up by now :D

Can I suggest that (with engine running and bike on side stand) you lay on your back with your head and a wee torch by the centre stand. Looking up at the underside of the bike and where the centre stand lives...

Obviously you don't need telling which side to lay.. in case bike topples over....

Then by hand move the centre stand away from the body of the bike and see if you see what is causing it...

If that is difficult, get a mate you can trust to hold the bike upright whilst you try it. And if the stand hits the ground before A you see the problem or B you see it or the noise hasn't stopped yet. Try elavating the bike so the stand can swing without hitting the ground. Easiest way I suppose would be with one wheel up a kerb...

Let us know how you get on.

DanTheMan