Do U have a generic helmet for pillions?

I have my Helmet (HJC - L) and have bought one for my girlfriend (RST - XS). However, from time to time I may want to take other people on my bike, so need another helmet.

Silly spending silly money, so was thinking of getting a new helmet online, something cheap. No point trying on as it's for different people.

http://tinyurl.com/9jtcdu

Here are some HJC ones :

1. anyone any cheaper sources for new lids? (these are £37 inc postage)

2. Would a M suit most people (i.e. average)

3. What do you guys do? (my mates gives people his old ones, for example)

Thanks

As helmet fit is important I would not do this, if a mate would like a lift then he would have to supply his own lid.

I used to give out my old lid for this, but in these days of litagation I will not and deffo not buy a lid just for that. I'm not saying any of your mates would sue you but kin of the deceased may get approched by an 'if there is blame there's a claim' types.

This is just my opnion, if you don't like it feel free to ignore.

Hmmmn, sad that people may actually do that.

I know my mates wouldn't do that. For example, my brother wanted a ride over xmas. Or my best mate often gets lifts to work with me ...

Is everyone as paranoid (or perhaps realistic?) as you?

Interested to see what others do

Thanks mate

no to a communual lid ..

as for reasons stated fit etc as a helmet moulds to its user.

Hygeine reasons ... if someone has a skin condition/scalp condition etc

and only way o would offer to pay for a users lid is if they were of a close nature (partner/kid) otherwise i would ask them tp purchase their own or at least 75% of the price ...if it is by my want to have them ride pillion .....

Interesting that this is general concensus .... giving me somethink to think about

i always tend to think of along the lines ...

If that was my son/daughter/loved one what would i do ?/how would i want it to be dealt with

all comes under a case of duty of care and in this day and age you can sue for nearly everything

even if someone is in your car and doesnt wear a seat belt ... you can be held liable if an accident for failing to make them wear a belt een though it is not the drivers resposibility if over a certain age .......

A greiving family can be one of the worst cases of seek any revenge ( cant think of proper term) you will come up against

Think about it this way, your best mate in all the world goes on the bike, you lend him a lid, crash, and he is cabbaged due to fractured skull. he can still think, rationalize, but cant work anymore, and can see his wife and kids suffering, mortgage going unpaid, and so on and so forth. What options does he have other than to sue you? ok, being a mate is important, but watching your family suffer is gonna make that insurance payout pretty important.

I have seen a friend go thru it, as one of their mates had to (kinda) drop a few of em in trouble to get the payout that would look after him. They all fell out about it, but what options did the guy have? Income support for life, or sue?

Sobering thoughts indeed.

Rolla

all comes under a case of duty of care and in this day and age you can sue for nearly everything

even if someone is in your car and doesnt wear a seat belt ... you can be held liable if an accident for failing to make them wear a belt een though it is not the drivers resposibility if over a certain age .......

A greiving family can be one of the worst cases of seek any revenge ( cant think of proper term) you will come up against

Oh, so where Americans now? Someone coulda told me :( I've got some eating to do!

Doesnt the suing thing come under your pillion insurance anyway....otherwise whats the point of having the question.

As for duty of care now did you force your mates head into said helmet or did he decide for himself.....think it would be a hard case to prove to be honest.

Doesnt the suing thing come under your pillion insurance anyway....otherwise whats the point of having the question.

As for duty of care now did you force your mates head into said helmet or did he decide for himself.....think it would be a hard case to prove to be honest.

That's what I was thinking, but assumed I was wrong because of being new and young etc lol

along the lines of passing over a helmet that you know is possibly not suited to their needs eg size without informing them of it ....

you have the duty of care to reduce the possibilty of any such claim arising and im sure you will find this in the sections of insurance ....

hi insurance i wish to make a claim after incident in which i was a pillion and the helmet i was wearing came off in impact and no longer able to work due to injuries....

... was it a helmet fitted in accordance with the current guideline.....

not sure my mate (the rider) just passed it to me and said put this on .......

ah right ........

If you read my post I asked if the pillion was given the helmet or wether said pillion actually decided to wear it himself. :roll:

Other than that I could also say no I didnt he just grabbed it and I did tell him but he insisted but as we are not lawyers I really dont know and whose to say that even the best helmet ever would have reduced the injuries either :?

As for a duty of care that starts with yourself.....

Para 3 says it all.

If you are a motorcyclist and have been involved in a road accident - or a pillion rider you may be entitled to a personal injury compensation claim. Pillion riders / passengers are owed a duty of care by the person controlling the bike and if you feel you have been injured as a result of another's negligence - you may be able to claim.

OKay, to keep the debate open. As someone else suggested, what about my "include pillion" cover on insurance :wink: ??

that is a must to carry pillions amazing how many people are willing to hop on the back of a bike without even checking tthe rider has it ....

again if rider is doing doing something to invalidate their insurance 99% times it invalidates the pillion cover so in theory you would have to sue the rider direct in a claim ( if rider found to be in breach ( speeding/wheelies etc etc )

Does that mean claim against insurance, or claim against rider?

IMO that's what the insurance is there for, but I could be wrong :wink:

insurancee companies will try everything to reduce their right to payout and unless all terms met in the policy details then its a no go and insurance null and void

and the personal injury claim would be against the rider ...... if through a seperate claims as that one listed otherwise it would go through the insurance comp as covered under pillion cover

Surely you could just have some kind of verbal agreement before riding? All you have to say is that basically, this helmet wasn't bought for you, so it won't be a good fit, and in the case of an accident then it won't provide the same protection as a helmet bought specifically for your head.

?

I probably would buy a pillion helmet, but I wouldn't really pillion with people that I didn't 100% trust anyway.

the helmet is one thing - and i think the letter of the law is nothing more than you must wear an approved helmet - but what about the other protective gear - jacket, trousers, boots, gloves and associated armour?

There is no legal requirement for all that 'other' stuff, but would you give your mate a ride if he was wearing a dodgy old second hand lid and normal clothing?

I wouldn't do it.