white oil

Guest nellyp

Hi, I think I may be looking at a disaster here. Looking through the site glass for the oil level it looks white. The top of the oil filler cap also has white on it. I am assuming from my car knowledge that the head gasket has gone, the bike seems to be riding fine with no knocks or loss of power. Could there be any other causes? is there any thing I can do? and if it has to go to the shop any ideas on the cost for a 1992 ,GSXf600?

Is this on the gsx600f?

I thought they were air cooled!

They are, so cannot be water from radiator, so has to be moisture build up..

as said before, warm and drop oil/Filter, and change again in 1000 miles.

:stupid: this is what i would do . ...... drop the oil out , take off the old filter , ( leave it to drain off over night . ) fit new filter top up bike with some flushing oil . Start bike up let it get walm ( normal running temp ) turn off and drop flushing oil back out and take off flushing filter . ( leave to drain as long as poss . ) Fit 2nd new filter re,fill with slightly thicker grade oil than befor . Job done . problem shouldnt return EVER !

Thanks all :cheers: You have made my day :lol: I was worried about this as it could stop me seeing how much oil I have in the bike as well. I'll try to get it done on the weekend, as I am still a bit worried about it (do I need to do it straight away?). I will need too see if I can get the oil filter off with the fairing on though, as I don't fancy messing about with the fairing as I'll only have 1/2 day on Sunday to do this as I'm off to see Wales beat England on Saturday :wink: .

Again.. Thanks to you all

While your at it i'd check the engine breather as your getting a build up of condensation... (pipe at top of Cylinders next to plugs....)

Can I get to this without removing the fairing :oops:

alright buddy , right to put you in the pic , i have a gsxr 600 that had /has this problem , i spoke to mick burns father of chris burns ( racer ) who is his mech, any way there is no issue it is caused by moustier ingress , there is NO problem he started by askin me if use the bike for short runs , which i did at the time , he reckons the only reason he would change oil is if it was a race bike ( as they work on thous of secound etc / i say again there is no problem ( although i thought it looked crap like milky on the glass , now not that i did not belive mick but i phoned m,an s , motors in newcastle and there parts dept said the same thing , if the bike does not get many hour plus runs out the mousure does not get time to burn off , please check this info if u wish , but i left mine like this and it still will be till next service due date , gsx ,, are ment to suffer more from this due to engine lay out , any way hope this helps steve

alright buddy , right to put you in the pic , i have a gsxr 600 that had /has this problem , i spoke to mick burns father of chris burns ( racer ) who is his mech, any way there is no issue it is caused by moustier ingress , there is NO problem he started by askin me if use the bike for short runs , which i did at the time , he reckons the only reason he would change oil is if it was a race bike ( as they work on thous of secound etc / i say again there is no problem ( although i thought it looked crap like milky on the glass , now not that i did not belive mick but i phoned m,an s , motors in newcastle and there parts dept said the same thing , if the bike does not get many hour plus runs out the mousure does not get time to burn off , please check this info if u wish , but i left mine like this and it still will be till next service due date , gsx ,, are ment to suffer more from this due to engine lay out , any way hope this helps steve

:stupid:

must admit i would more inclined to leave this and take bike for a good long run have had it with the zed and the gpz and aftera good run it has remedied this and last time it was on the zed was 800 miles after an oil and filter change ....

Thanks for this :cheers: . I have already dropped the oil and removed the filter though :crybaby: . It puts my mind at rest for the future though, as I am only using the bike for short runs at the moment. I was worried about checking the oil level with the muck in but I suppose I'll just go for a longer run and check it when the moisture has gone. Nice bit of inside knowledge