Chain rivet link and front sprocket

Guest danprhayes

Ok I have a photo of this via the link below and if you can zoom into the chain then you can see my not so handy work:

http://www.mystore.talktalk.net/DSC_0075.JPG

What I would like to know is have I pressed/rivetted this enough and have the rivet pins been flared/mushroomed enough? Also if you notice the rivet on the right has a slight nick at the bottom - do you think this is gonna cause a problem or get bigger?

Also the sprocket nut is a bugger to get off - I almost lifted the almost 200kg bike clear off the ground with my sheer strength and the bloody thing didnt budge. Have I pushed down that locking washer enough?

Oh and also this chain is RK 530 112 X-ring, but is it right that the rivet section came with O rings? I assume the X rings are deep inside the chain out of sight?

Cheers for any assistance.

same here with undoing the nut i ended up with a 5ft scaffold bar on the end of sprocket nut on mine :)

if no joy i wuld find use of an air impact wrench .......

make sure bike is well supported though as undoing it your pushing bike forward and if only on centre stand it may come off

ahhh no i didnt change the sprocket when I should have done (with old chain on). So am using new chain to get sprocket off.

I have pushed that washer back out of the way (I think)

ahhh no i didnt change the sprocket when I should have done (with old chain on). So am using new chain to get sprocket off.

I have pushed that washer back out of the way (I think)

Ah, I see. Don't forget to fold it back again. Watch out though, I've changed a couple in the past where I folded the washer back and it still came undone. What I did after than was to put a spot of white paint on the nut and spline, and then check it after a week or so.

same here with undoing the nut i ended up with a 5ft scaffold bar on the end of sprocket nut on mine :)

if no joy i wuld find use of an air impact wrench .......

make sure bike is well supported though as undoing it your pushing bike forward and if only on centre stand it may come off

or you could try one of these :wink:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... -12v/path/

great little tool ive used it on all sorts and works a right treat 8-)

dont be put off by the price it works really well :)

Guest Mr Miller
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... -12v/path/

great little tool ive used it on all sorts and works a right treat 8-)

dont be put off by the price it works really well :)

If this is the one I saw Stu working his magic with, it is a cracking piece of kit!

If I could use it and not injure myself, others around me & of course, the bike, then I'd like one!

There is one in Argos, too .....I'm not sure if that one is a Clarke. "You pay's your money & you take's your choice!"

Are clarke any good as tools go?

they are a good budget to midline manufacturer ..i use a lot of stuff from machine mart with no problems ...compressors,hand tools etc

Are clarke any good as tools go?

they are a good budget to midline manufacturer ..i use a lot of stuff from machine mart with no problems ...compressors,hand tools etc

:stupid:

look out for their PRO range too they are life time warranty :D

• 3 weeks later...