spongy brakes after a bleed?

MacLean

Hi folks,

I have recently got my bike up and running from a spill last year. And I've taken it for a few test rides and the front brake felt spongy, so I bled them yesterday. Unfortunitly the lever still feels spongy.... I can quite easily pull the lever over half of its full travel with the bike sitting still (this qualifies as spongy right?).

The bike did fall to the right so the lever may have taken a clouting however during the repairs I never had to brake the seal between the master cylinder/tubes/calipers so am not sure what the problem is... any ideas anyone?

BTW its a 02 fzs600

take the bike for a steady test ride and try the brakes if it stops well then all should be fine providing the lever doesnt come back to the bar

what feels spongy while stationary might not be while riding

can you pull the lever all the way back to the bar ?

if you are using cheap pads these can make the brakes feel spongy but its the pads that are soft

Had the same problem on mine.Could still be air in the system,take the top of the fluid container,tie the lever back and leave over night,hopefully next day if any air in there it should have risen to the top and braking should be back to normal

well the pistons are all moving it appears, I took it for a test ride last night and they work and can stop me but it was pissing with rain so wasn't best conditions for testing my brakes out.

Cant help but feel that they arn't working 100% as firmly as they should.

I shall try garys tip and hopefully take it out in the dry.. I suppose the only explanation is that there must still be air in there.... or the pads.

well the pistons are all moving it appears, I took it for a test ride last night and they work and can stop me but it was p*ssing with rain so wasn't best conditions for testing my brakes out.

Cant help but feel that they arn't working 100% as firmly as they should.

I shall try garys tip and hopefully take it out in the dry.. I suppose the only explanation is that there must still be air in there.... or the pads.

your brakes will feel different after bleeding them, and subconciously you always wonder if there better or the same as before.. as lkong as you obtain braking effectiveness before the lever reaches the grip and you don't have to pump it to do so, then they are probably fine.. wait for a dry day and take a gentle ride , this will make the pistons and pads work and regain there normal position to get a better feel. i don't understand how tying the lever to the bars and leaving it overnight bleeds out any air.

i've found that a reverse bleed, where you push air into the caliper to raise the fluid in the master cylinder thus removing any top bubles, and then bleed as normal making sure the cylinder has fluid to remove air from the caliper.. and work on one side at a time.. speed bleaders are also a good idea, saves having to open and close the bleed nipple on each press of the lever, maybe for next time.. or a valve in the line..